Timing of price drops?

WineDown17

Is there any rhyme or reason to when/if X drops the prices of a cruise? I am sure it largely has to do with supply and demand..)

I lucked out 1x in the past and upgraded several categories at the last minute for "free".. I cant recall if this was 14 or 30 days prior to sailing though.. maybe even more..

Is there a standarad timetable to watch for.. 90 days, 60 days, 30 days, etc prior to a sailing to look out for a good deal on an upgrade? I would really like to move up to the RS, but not for 5k.. I would rather keep that for spending money..

So far, I have only seen the price go up, so I am not optimistic...

Or am I destined to simply keep checking daily? (112 to go!!)

I'm not a 'seasoned' =X= cruiser, but my recent experience has been that rate decreases and special offers including Senior and Resident rates really start kicking in about 6 weeks prior to sail date.

Some posters here have gotten discounts months in advance... all depends on what criteria they're offering that you can meet. And, as you mentioned, how the cruise has sold so far...

Thanks Dawn. You always have insightful posts annd I enjoy reading them.

Appreciate the advice.. Will keep my fingers crossed!!

How nice! You're very welcome.

My TA is beginning to wonder if I shouldn't take up a hobby... for our 2/22 Solstice sailing, I've managed to find $860 in refunds so far between the four cabins I booked. We're not looking to upgrade as we're happy where we are. When DH and I book our next cruise, though, you can bet I'll be looking for upgrade opportunities!!

You have been on some great ships.. Some day, when the kids are older.. (how many times do I say that in a day!?!?) I would love to try the more upscale lines.. but until then, X is our compromise.

I found a great deal for our honeymoon on Summit 6 years ago- upgraded from a 2A to a CS for $200. Now it is like a game.. want to "win" at it again. So far we have only gotten back the fuel surcharge.. and I think everyone got that, so it doesnt count. :)

Solstice looks beautiful.. have fun! Will look forward to your reviews when you are back!

You have been on some great ships.. Some day, when the kids are older.. (how many times do I say that in a day!?!?) I would love to try the more upscale lines.. but until then, X is our compromise.

=X= is our 'go to' line now for when we sail with extended family, which includes our young nephews (7, 11, and 13 this year). They were with us on Century last summer and we had a BLAST... but nope, would not consider taking them on some other lines that we enjoy. I (DH didn't join us) was with them in the Med '07 on Legend of the Seas, too - nasty experience, but still enjoyed being with the kids. Cruising is something we do between land trips, so we don't sail as often as many others.

I found a great deal for our honeymoon on Summit 6 years ago- upgraded from a 2A to a CS for $200. Now it is like a game.. want to "win" at it again.

OMG, you sound just like my DH!! "It's all about the art of the deal..." :D

We're celebrating our 8th anniversary at the end of this month in Vegas...

Prices have a tendency to go down just after final payment day (70days prior) for the early birds. If you don't have to pick a time to cruise but can go on short notice, the best deals are on Tuesdays for new bookings only. We're always ready to go but do not pre book anymore. We sail when it's on sale and excludes the need for air. We'll drive for two days to avoid the aggravation of airports.

Dawn-

How were folks on X when you cruised with children? I am a little worried about other's reception, although my children are very well behaved, will be in tuxes for formal night etc.. I fear the age alone will be enough to have us ostracized on board.. Thats part of the reason for the CS- we can dine all breakfasts and some dinners in our room if the baby is not up to sitting for a formal meal. (we eat out often as training! He is better behaved at restaurants most times than at home). Its also the reason we got private tours.. so as not to disrupt any one elses experience with a 2 year old..just in case!!! :)

C2C- What to do if at 65 days out (or less..), the RS goes down to a price we are willing to pay? Can we still upgrade??

Dawn-

How were folks on X when you cruised with children? I am a little worried about other's reception, although my children are very well behaved, will be in tuxes for formal night etc.. I fear the age alone will be enough to have us ostracized on board.. Thats part of the reason for the CS- we can dine all breakfasts and some dinners in our room if the baby is not up to sitting for a formal meal. (we eat out often as training! He is better behaved at restaurants most times than at home). Its also the reason we got private tours.. so as not to disrupt any one elses experience with a 2 year old..just in case!!! :)

We're fortunate that our nephews are very well-behaved, like your kidlets (but they ARE three boys...;)). They were overwhelmingly well-received aboard Century; the staff loves kids and the other pax were charmed. We kept hearing, "Oh, look, there's that family with the three young tuxedoed gentlemen..."! (My brother and DH were wont to ask 'Hey, what about us? We wore 'em, too!' LOL)

The Century MDR had a terrific children's menu every night that included kid favorites (chicken fingers, hot dogs, hamburgers, mac & cheese, etc.), but only the youngest boy ever used it. These three are adventurous eaters which makes them especially fun and easy travel companions.

You and your family will have a GREAT time!!!!!

Dawn

We found that the price for our last month Century TA dropped after the NA final payment (70 days prior) date which was when we initially booked and dropped again after the European final payment (30 days prior) date enabling us to upgrade to an aft Family Veranda at the new lower price. We had booked this cruise in Euros through a Germany Agency.

These price drops and refunds that are being talked about, are they only applicable to those that buy directly from the Cruise line? Or will you be notified even if you bought the cruise from a travel agent? How did you get notified?

In my case, it seems that the price has actually increased since we made our booking (Solstice, 18 Sept from Rome).

Celebrity uses a computerized "yield management" system like the airlines. When certain events happen, such as a specific number of cabins become available, the system adjusts the price (or adds specials such as Senior Specials) based on the loaded software. It really can't be predicted accurately. I've seen prices drop dramatically for an hour and then shoot up again because a specific number of rooms were sold in that hour.

Celebrity uses a computerized "yield management" system like the airlines. When certain events happen, such as a specific number of cabins become available, the system adjusts the price (or adds specials such as Senior Specials) based on the loaded software. It really can't be predicted accurately. I've seen prices drop dramatically for an hour and then shoot up again because a specific number of rooms were sold in that hour.

Great logical and technical explanation. Seems some people think shmoozing with their TA gets these results. I think you have to be vigilent in checking for pricing yourself to capitilize as not all TA's check for reductions. I happen to have a great X TA.

I've been waiting to book until after final payment date. I know that for popular cruises the price will go up, but I'm willing to take a gamble that the price will go down on at least one of the cruises I'm watching.

I'm also willing to take a Cat. Y or Z guarantee. Cat. Y is an ocean view guarantee and Cat. Z is an inside guarantee. The prices for those are less than the lowest category of cabins within the cabin type. For instance, when we booked a Cat. Z guarantee on Century in November for a December cruise, its price was less than the price of a Cat. 12 cabin--the lowest category of inside cabins.

Geo-

You are lucky to be able to do that. I asked for this time off last March- 15 months in advance..

I tell my husband we will retire to florida so we can do the same one day! (Although that wouldnt help me with this cruise out of Spain...) Maybe we will retire to spain!! :)

Just wondered if any of you seasoned travellers can advise. We booked some time ago and prices for adults have gone down but children gone up. Are we still able to try to get a refund from Celebrity or do you think it depends on the total you have paid. Our TA also gave us a discount - how does that factor into the equation?

Thank you

These price drops and refunds that are being talked about, are they only applicable to those that buy directly from the Cruise line? Or will you be notified even if you bought the cruise from a travel agent? How did you get notified?

In my case, it seems that the price has actually increased since we made our booking (Solstice, 18 Sept from Rome).

It's quite likely you may not see a price decrease since you are on a new and very popular ship on a usually sought after itinerary. If you do see something it will be more likely close to or just after the final payment date. Then of course you may only get the infamous NEW BOOKING ONLY pricing.

Sometimes if you have a really good TA they will check and advise you of a price decrease but it is better if you monitor the pricing yourself at the cruise line's website for your cruise date. TAs even if they do this only have a limited amount of time to do so and some decreases are only offered for a very limited time period.

If you've booked direct, the cruise line won't specifically advise you of a decrease but may do so indirectly way through a general e-mail promotion of the cruise you're on. Again it's best to check this yourself on a regular basis.

So this is my personal experience so far. Booked last year in April - get 1 RS and 2 CC rooms for Mercury Alaskan cruise in Sep 2009. Booked early since I wanted the rooms to be next to each other. Back then, the RS was going for $7082 ( for the 4 of us with a $750 OBC) and $3476 for the CC ( for 2 in each cabin with $275 OBC). Kept on checking prices, and there were drops of about $100 but did not do anything since the OBC credit was more. In December, adjusted the RS booking to $6212 (OBC went down to $550 but still worth it) and then upgraded the CCs to the sky suites for $300 more per cabin. Checked today again, and now the RS is down to $4500 ( adjusted OBC to $400) and the SS have gone down by $500 down per cabin.

Pretty thrilled about it, I had budgeted for a lot more for the RS. Will continue to keep checking, but right now, very happy with the prices.

D

Thanks to all the great information posted on these boards, we've just scored our second price DROP for our February 8th sailing on the Solstice. We are first-time cruisers and I'm sure I would never have thought of checking prices and asking for a refund! Wow - and thanks again!

Sorry if I'm a bit dense, but could someone please clarify: The price on our Century cruise recently dropped AFTER final payment (the price listed on Celebrity's website. I see no disclaimer about new bookings only.). Can we get a refund? And I should contact my TA, not Celebrity, right?

Thanks for your patience!

If you booked through a travel agent then you need to deal with them. Part of that is due to commission being based on the fare price, so for any adjustment their commission will also be that little bit less. As you say the price is on the Celebrity web site, it should be able to be applied to yours assuming it is the same class as your current booking.

In this economy, you should continually monitor for price drops, especially in the weeks after final payment, even for new ships and/or popular itineraries. After booking in August for Solstice Christmas week, there was a $550 pp price drop a week or so after final payment, and another $50 closer to sailing. The 1A cabins were in the after-Thanksgiving sale for $999 (new bookings only!), half the August price. We couldn't take advantage of that price, but were happy with our $1200 refund. And yes this was on the total adult price, the third passenger price never budged once. As others have said, watch all the categories because X's yield management system might offer a bigger % drop in a category with many cabins, like Solstice verandas. It doesn't have many OVs, and at times, the Guarantee Veranda rate was lower. It's a pain to have to watch the rates yourself, but the reward may be worth it. When I do see a drop, I take a screen shot of the page and email it to my TA, she calls X, and X credits my card. At least, that part is quick and simple.

We'll drive for two days to avoid the aggravation of airports.

Arno, we are actually considering this ourselves for an upcoming April cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We live in CT and it's a 20 hour drive. But all the airlines want at least $500 per person to fly from NYC to FLL for that time period in April. I guess because Easter falls in the middle of it.

Also if we drive I don't have to worry about how many suitcases and how much they weigh.

Anne Maria

Archived