Vacuum System/Toilet Flushing System on QE and QV; Noise Issues

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:19 PM.
1,806 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Let me begin by saying we enjoyed our cruise on the QE immensely. We were on for the World Cruise this past Jan. and loved all aspects of the ship and cruise itinerary. The only problem we had was the noisy vacuum, toilet system. During the day, we were not concerned, but at night, it did interfere with our sleep. It wasn't just a usual flushing noise, but a loud bang in the walls following a flush. It was loud enough to wake us out ofasoud sleep.
We are now planning to take a World Cruise on the Queen Victoria next year. Is this a common problem on both ships, or were we just unlucky with our particular cabin?
East Lancashire
2,618 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I have never noticed this issue, so it may have been a problem with the plumbing or just that cabin. We are back on board in 2 weeks so I will let you know if I have any issues.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2, 1991, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 (twice) 2005, 2006, 2007 (twice) and 2008 (twice). Caronia 2002 and 2003, QM2 2009, 2010 (twice), 2011, 2014 and 2015, QV 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016, QE 2012 (twice), 2013, 2015 and 2017. Braemar 2015 (once was enough) Oriana 2017, Good but I still prefer Cunard.
At Sea
5,297 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Like Lanky Lad (Hi Lanky Lad ) I've not noticed this on board any of the ships. Something I'll listen out for on QE next Feb/March.
I also think you may have been unlucky. If not,and it is very excessive, sort it out with your steward and maintenance within a day or two of boarding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper........... (Cunard & QM2; "It is not the only way to cross, but it is the only way to cross")
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3.5 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The toilet systems do sound different to land based plumbing but I don't remember being woken up by the flushing. Did your cabin toilet sound noisier than the public toilets ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
1,806 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by Host Hattie
The toilet systems do sound different to land based plumbing but I don't remember being woken up by the flushing. Did your cabin toilet sound noisier than the public toilets ?
It was not the flushing sound that bothered us. It was the banging noise that we heard after the flushing was over. Somewhere else on CCwas the mention of an engineering problem with loose pipes and metal walls causing this problem on both QE and QV but not the QM2.
Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I've not experienced what you describe, did you report it ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
1,806 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
Originally posted by Host Hattie
I've not experienced what you describe, did you report it ?
Yes we did. They assigned us a sleeping room for the rest of the voyage because they were not able to locate the problem area.