Sailing aboard the NOORDAM this November 2017

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:11 AM.
Gold Coast
10,068 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by SeaDog-46
Another way & I consider even better break in your trip to Auckland NZ.
Depart LAX only on a Saturday after 11pm on Air NZ to Raratonga - Cook Islands.

It is only a 10 hr. flight & you arrive around dawn into a beautiful tropical island.
The locals are much friendlier that the Tahitians & they use NZ currency & you will not pay Tahiti prices.
Then daily flights onwards to Auckland.

Note : when onboard Noordam - do not complain to Aussies & Kiwis about your long trans Pacific flight - or you will be ear-bashed on how many flying hours from NZ & Aust. to UK.
Agree with suggestion to make the Cook Islands your stopover en route. It is our favourite stopover. If you have time, Aitutaki is well worth a side trip. With stopovers, the journey becomes part of the trip.

Agree with suggestion to not overnight in LAX. We used to, but stopped once going through US Customs became a nightmare! You need a minimum of three nights for a stopover anywhere to be a relaxing break.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
deltona florida
45 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
WOW. Good answers to lots of my questions. My wife is really interested in RAROTANGA , so I'll start looking into hotels and maybe ITUTAKI. I'm on her login.
I wonder how long it takes to go from the cook Islands to Auckland. I want 1 day(at least) for that part of the trip. That way I have some extra time built in to relax and then catch the NOORDAM .

As for port excursions. Is there anyway we can get "other" tour operators(that you know) that we c an use when we hit these port? I'm a fisherman , SSSOOOOOOOO , I want to get some fishing in at some point.

So much to learn and so little time.
Anything special hit you guys on any of he ports you visited?

one more dumb question. Where is the meet and greet blog?

ancientmarinerjoe
deltona florida
45 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
We are looking at Raratonga. Just the name , R A R A T O N G A has My honey excited. Seeping sand beaches with o/hanging palm/coconut trees , Sweeping views , soft gentle breezes. Decompressing after that 10 hour flight , will really have us in "THE MOOD" for a great time. After all this it's on to Auckland and a great cruise. We got some great private tours in the listings above . Wow. Great people cruise HOLLAND and cruise Critic.
Now I hope Cruise Critic gets the Meet and Greet up for our 11/6/17 cruise on Noordam. Can't wait to meet more cruisers and have lots of fun meeting more people. I just know we will get lots more info to make this a trip of a lifetime.
Nancy is worried that my climbing that SYDNEY bridge will be to much for this 78 year old body. I hope not , as this is my bucket list.
Has anyone done that bridge climb? Is is harder is done after dark? I'll bet the views AND the photos should be wonderfull. Can't wait to hear all your insights about that.
Ancientmarinerjoe
17,252 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by ancientmarinerjoe
WOW. Good answers to lots of my questions. My wife is really interested in RAROTANGA , so I'll start looking into hotels and maybe ITUTAKI. I'm on her login.
I wonder how long it takes to go from the cook Islands to Auckland. I want 1 day(at least) for that part of the trip. That way I have some extra time built in to relax and then catch the NOORDAM .

ancientmarinerjoe
An Air New Zealand flight from Rarotonga to Auckland is approximately 4 hours 30 minutes.
deltona florida
45 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
HI All:
Any help in self guided tours @ each stop on this cruise?
After researching all this, I realize that were novices on guided(?) tours @ each stop. I don't want to get burned and is the ship,etc.
The tours offered by HAL are just to darned expensive for three of us. OUCH!
Were looking to hook up with tours that other HAL shipboard guests will be on.
We hear that watomo(?) is a place to visit.
WE especially want to see the original MAURI village and GREETING are one highlight we don't want to miss.
ancientmarinerjoe
Arlington, Virginia
2,633 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
HI All:
After researching all this, I realize that were novices on guided(?) tours @ each stop. I don't want to get burned and is the ship,etc.
WE especially want to see the original MAURI village and GREETING are one highlight we don't want to miss.
ancientmarinerjoe
If you have not already done so, post your query about private tours in NZ and Australia on the Ports of Call forum for "Australia and NZ". I'd also go to Trip Advisor and post on the NZ and Australia forums. (Unfortunately, I can't help you with guided tours as we used our own car in Australia and rented cars in NZ so that we could do sightseeing on our own.)

Also, it's "Waitomo" and "Maori"--you'll want to make sure the spelling is right for internet searching.
California
1,043 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
I will be on the Maasdam leaving Auckland November 27.
I cannot fly to Sydney as my visa application got denied (took a whole year just for them to deny it)

These are good tips for a long flight. I flew to Tahiti back in 2014 and the flight wasn't so bad because it was red eye and slept for most of it but to New Zealand this ads another 5 plus hours. It will all be worth it though because at the end of the day I will be on a 22 day cruise to some once in a lifetime places.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 2009:CCL ELATION:
Dec. 2009:CCL SPLENDOR:
Dec. 2010:CCL SPIRIT:
Dec.2011:CCLSPIRIT:
April 2012:CCL INSPIRATION:
Dec. 2012:CCL LIBERTY:
Dec. 2012:CCL BREEZE:
Oct. 2013/Nov 2013:CCL BREEZE /BREEZE/CCL LIBERTY
April. 2014:CCL Imagination:
Oct./Nov 2014:Celebrity Summit B2B:
Nov/Dec 2014:Pacific Princess
March 2015: NCL Star
Oct/Nov 2015 :NCL Getaway
Nov 2016 :CCL Vista: Grand Turk (Missed), Ocho Rios, Nassau
Dec 2016:Celebrity Summit B2B: Southern Caribbean

UPCOMING

Northern New Jersey
256 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Ancient mariner Joe, I understand that cameras and picture taking is not allowed on the Sydney bridge climb. I don't know about Go Pro cameras.

DD
Adelaide Australia
91 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
HI All:
ancientmarinerjoe
Hi,
we cruised NZ back in March 2016 and used this company for a few tours including hobbiton https://www.shoretripsandtours.com/S...uranga-Rotorua

They were great and Hobbiton was fantastic.

We also did the Weta Cave workshop tour in Wellington which was short (about 45 minutes) but interesting. The shop was interesting and there were some good photo opportunities with the trolls. We took a cab from the ship (about $NZ30 from memory) and a bus back to the city.http://wetaworkshop.com/visit-us/workshop-tours/

(yes we are Lord of the Rings tragics)

We also used this company for a couple of tours and would recommend them http://www.zealandiertours.com/
South of sydney australia
351 Posts
Joined May 2009
If you have a look at the Noordam Sep 28 Roll call there is lots of info on tours as people on the roll call are organising them now. You can see itineraries and costs etc.
Gilroy, California
137 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Does anyone know if Holland America does theme nights like some lines do? White night, hippie night, pirate night? We're sailing on the 15-day Sydney to Auckland trip in October, would like to be prepared with an eye patch or a hippie vest... Thanks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
October 2017--HAL Noordam around New Zealand, March 2017--Romantic California Coastal, May 2016--Caribbean Princess around British Isles, October 2015--Rhine Getaway on Viking Mani, July 2015--Carnival Miracle with Family to Mexican Riviera, March 2015--Romantic Star Princess California Coastal, October 2014--Hof Reunion Caribbean Carnival Freedom, August 2014--Family Alaska roundtrip San Francisco, February 2014--Carnival Rotary Getaway, October 2013--Norwegian Pearl through Panama Canal, June 2013--Grand Princess to Alaska, February 2013--Carnival Inspiration to Baja, May 2012--HAL Maasdam Boston to Montreal, January 2012--Carnival Inspiration to Baja, July 2011--Carnival Destiny to Caribbean with grandgirls, June 2010--NCL Sun to Baltic Sea, February 2010--Carnival Paradise to Catalina, October 2009--Carnival Elation to Cabo with grandgirls, March 2009--MSC Orchestra to Eastern Caribbean, Sept 2008--RCL Monarch of the Seas to Baja, June 2008--RCL Monarch of the Seas to Baja with gals only family, October 2007--Carnival Freedom all over the Mediterranean, December 2006--Carnival Pride to Mexican Riviera, Sept 2005--NCL Star around Hawaiian Islands, July 2004--Carnival Holiday to Baja
Warwick, R.I. , USA
38,268 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by Minna22
Does anyone know if Holland America does theme nights like some lines do?
They don't. Now, if you are sailing over Halloween, there may (I emphasize "may") be a costume party, but I wouldn't bet on it happening. I've sailed twice over Halloween, but there has never been anything made of it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCASE/LSSE

Chocolate is to women what duct tape is to men.
It fixes everything.
deltona florida
45 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by DoggyDaddy
Ancient mariner Joe, I understand that cameras and picture taking is not allowed on the Sydney bridge climb. I don't know about Go Pro cameras.

DD
OH NO!. That's 1/2 half the reason I want to do it. What GREAT MEMORIES I would have doing that.
Ancient Mariner Joe