I want to retire on a cruise ship. Suggestions?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:00 AM.
Home
2,836 Posts
Joined May 2009
I would also love to spent most of my time on a cruise. In my case I would select a cruiseline and stay for a couple of months on different ships of that cruise line. I would do that for a couple of years. In between a couple of months "land" vacations.
Vancouver, Canada
823 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We want to do this too. Probably not forever on a cruise ship but certainly a year or two. But our plan is to take a TA to Europe...watching prices..if there is a good deal on a cruise in the med we'll take it...if not...stay 1 month in several of the major cities in Europe (train or Easy Jet to get there)..then take a Suez canal cruise to Dubai. Stay on the ship thru to Singpore/Perth/Sydney depending on the deal to be had. Spend several months in Australia staying in the major cities. (We will use Air BNB etc) Depending upon the time catch a repositioning to New Zealand...stay there a while. Then it's time for a Transpacific home. Stay home until the next TA...repeat with different destinations ie Northern Europe and Japan/China/Hong Kong etc. The plan is to fly as little as possible, watch our spending. We will not have a house waiting for us. Our money will be invested to help mitigate the costs. Yes we will sail on insides unless a really good deal is to be had. We've sailed in suites, balcony's and insides..you are only in your room when you sleep. When we are tired of being on the move...we'll rebuy a house/condo. I've been watching another couples travels that have done exactly this. They have a travel blog called worldwidewaftage. Very inspiring couple.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Emerald Princess Feb 28 2018 SA Island Princess Jan 24 2018 SA Norwegian Star PC Jan 2018 Norwegian Star 11 Day Caribbean, Panama Canal Dec 2017 Norwegian Jewel Seattle-Tasmania-Sydney Sep 2017 Seranade of the Seas TA (Iceland) Aug 26 Norwegian Spirit East Med Jul 30 Norwegian Star East Med Jul 9, 17Vision of the Seas Brit Isles Jun 30 Norwegian Jade Norway Jun 13 Norwegian Spirit Med/West/East May 4, 18, 28 Norwegian Star Jan 16, Feb 6, Feb 18, Mar 9, Mar 27th HK-Venice Explorer of the Seas Oct 8, 2016 TP HAL Amsterdam Sep 25, 2016 Explorer of the Seas Transpacific Sydney to Seattle Apr 23, 2016, Explorer of the Seas Suez Canal Oct 8, 2015, Crown Princess Sep 19, 2015 Celebrity Constellation Gallipoli 100 Anniversary Apr 22, 2015, Celebrity Century Sydney-Singapore Jan 11, 2015 Brilliance of the Seas TA Aug 31, 2014 Celebrity Constellation Northern Europe May 9, 2014 Celebrity Constellation TA April 24, 2014 Carnival Legend British Isles Sep 13, 2013 Carnival Legend Northern Europe Sep 1, 2013 Carnival Legend Barcelona - Venice Apr 19th, 2013 Carnival Legend Transatlantic Apr 4th 2013 Norwegian Spirit Grand Mediterranean Apr 28, 2012 Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas Transatlantic Apr 14, 2012 Carnival Victory - Southern Caribbean Apr 10, 2011 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas -Mexican Riviera Aug 29, 2010 Norwegian Sky - Bahamas Aug 31, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
823 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
So went ahead and did it starting last Jan 2017. We sold our house
And put our money in the bank invested with a monthly income. We've been aboard a ship since January. It's June now, with cruises booked up to Christmas, when we'll stop by and visit our boys before going again. Having a great time so far.

Originally posted by Phayyte
We want to do this too. Probably not forever on a cruise ship but certainly a year or two. But our plan is to take a TA to Europe...watching prices..if there is a good deal on a cruise in the med we'll take it...if not...stay 1 month in several of the major cities in Europe (train or Easy Jet to get there)..then take a Suez canal cruise to Dubai. Stay on the ship thru to Singpore/Perth/Sydney depending on the deal to be had. Spend several months in Australia staying in the major cities. (We will use Air BNB etc) Depending upon the time catch a repositioning to New Zealand...stay there a while. Then it's time for a Transpacific home. Stay home until the next TA...repeat with different destinations ie Northern Europe and Japan/China/Hong Kong etc. The plan is to fly as little as possible, watch our spending. We will not have a house waiting for us. Our money will be invested to help mitigate the costs. Yes we will sail on insides unless a really good deal is to be had. We've sailed in suites, balcony's and insides..you are only in your room when you sleep. When we are tired of being on the move...we'll rebuy a house/condo. I've been watching another couples travels that have done exactly this. They have a travel blog called worldwidewaftage. Very inspiring couple.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Emerald Princess Feb 28 2018 SA Island Princess Jan 24 2018 SA Norwegian Star PC Jan 2018 Norwegian Star 11 Day Caribbean, Panama Canal Dec 2017 Norwegian Jewel Seattle-Tasmania-Sydney Sep 2017 Seranade of the Seas TA (Iceland) Aug 26 Norwegian Spirit East Med Jul 30 Norwegian Star East Med Jul 9, 17Vision of the Seas Brit Isles Jun 30 Norwegian Jade Norway Jun 13 Norwegian Spirit Med/West/East May 4, 18, 28 Norwegian Star Jan 16, Feb 6, Feb 18, Mar 9, Mar 27th HK-Venice Explorer of the Seas Oct 8, 2016 TP HAL Amsterdam Sep 25, 2016 Explorer of the Seas Transpacific Sydney to Seattle Apr 23, 2016, Explorer of the Seas Suez Canal Oct 8, 2015, Crown Princess Sep 19, 2015 Celebrity Constellation Gallipoli 100 Anniversary Apr 22, 2015, Celebrity Century Sydney-Singapore Jan 11, 2015 Brilliance of the Seas TA Aug 31, 2014 Celebrity Constellation Northern Europe May 9, 2014 Celebrity Constellation TA April 24, 2014 Carnival Legend British Isles Sep 13, 2013 Carnival Legend Northern Europe Sep 1, 2013 Carnival Legend Barcelona - Venice Apr 19th, 2013 Carnival Legend Transatlantic Apr 4th 2013 Norwegian Spirit Grand Mediterranean Apr 28, 2012 Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas Transatlantic Apr 14, 2012 Carnival Victory - Southern Caribbean Apr 10, 2011 Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas -Mexican Riviera Aug 29, 2010 Norwegian Sky - Bahamas Aug 31, 2009
brooklyn ny
2,624 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
So went ahead and did it starting last Jan 2017. We sold our house
And put our money in the bank invested with a monthly income. We've been aboard a ship since January. It's June now, with cruises booked up to Christmas, when we'll stop by and visit our boys before going again. Having a great time so far.

Wonderful! What did you do with all your "stuff" when you sold your house?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

BREAKAWAY JULY 2, 2017

Plus 2 cruises on RCCL 2 CC and approx. 18 more on NCL-I cant remember which ships!
Vancouver, Canada
823 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by boopsahoy
Wonderful! What did you do with all your "stuff" when you sold your house?

Some went to our son who we helped buy his condo so he took living room furniture. He is also storing some things for us in his storage unit. Other son took our bedroom set as it was nicer than what he had. Sold my dining room table. Craigslisted and sold/gave away lots of other things. Lots of stuff accumulated in the garage went to the dump. The things we kept went into a 10x15 storage unit. If I had had more time I would have reduced the things we kept but everything came together in a really short space of time. (Sold the house while we were cruising in late October with a January 3 move out date). Our other time limiting factor was a voluntary redundancy and a fantastic cruise that was leaving Jan 16.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

brooklyn ny
2,624 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Some went to our son who we helped buy his condo so he took living room furniture. He is also storing some things for us in his storage unit. Other son took our bedroom set as it was nicer than what he had. Sold my dining room table. Craigslisted and sold/gave away lots of other things. Lots of stuff accumulated in the garage went to the dump. The things we kept went into a 10x15 storage unit. If I had had more time I would have reduced the things we kept but everything came together in a really short space of time. (Sold the house while we were cruising in late October with a January 3 move out date). Our other time limiting factor was a voluntary redundancy and a fantastic cruise that was leaving Jan 16.

It takes guts to do what you did! I would love to.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

BREAKAWAY JULY 2, 2017

Plus 2 cruises on RCCL 2 CC and approx. 18 more on NCL-I cant remember which ships!
Florida
21,247 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
You need some time on land Doctors, Family, refilling of medicine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 31 voyages 823 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 86 Cruises 1280 days

NOT YET SAILED
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Nieuw Statadam 8/19 52 days
Koningsdam 10/19 37 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/20 128 days
north carolina now from upper state ny Plattsburgh area
2,501 Posts
Joined May 2010
we once met a couple who went to the main headquarters of a cruiseline and negotated a fee. They had to leave their cabin when the ship was completely booked by one company etc. They also had a RV which they used when they wanted a break from the high seas. They said the trick was to pick a ship with an interesting itinery and go directly to the head office of the Cruise Line your interested in. They had been doing it for 2 yrs when we met them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & Richard

Too Many Cruises Completed To List!
Kauai
41 Posts
Joined Nov 2015

We are actually currently sailing with Tom and Jessica (worldwidewafting) on the Celebrity Infinity. Fascinating couple! They sold everything and have been on the move for six or seven years. It is a mixture of land and sea... they just finished four months (I believe) in Costa Rica and are doing b2b from Ft Lauderdale to Buenos Aires. They will stay there a month. So many adventures and great hints for doing such a thing. They each have a suitcase for clothes and one suitcase for “supplies” like ice cube trays :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future Cruises:

Liberty of the Seas October 28, 2018 Family (7 days)

Royal Princess September 10, 2018 (15 days)

Crown Princess December 27, 2018 (10 days)

Past Cruises:
Vision of the Seas: June 2008 Mexican Riviera
Sapphire Princess: April 2009 Mexican Riviera
Sapphire Princess: October 2009 Mexican Riviera (wedding!)
Carnival Splendor: March 2010 Mexican Riviera
Splendor of the Seas: March 2011 TransAtlantic Sao Paulo to Lisbon
Epic: October 2011 TransAtlantic Barcelona to Miami
Star Princess: May 2012 Alaska
Epic: October 2013 TransAtlantic Barcelona to Miami
Epic: November 2013 Caribbean
Allure of the Seas: October 2015 Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale
Escape: January 2016 Caribbean Miami RT
Ovation of the Seas: May 2016 Barcelona to Dubai via Suez Canal
Epic: October 2016 TA Barcelona to Port Canaveral
Rhapsody of the Seas: November 2016 Malaga to Miami
Getaway: January 2017 Caribbean
Navigator of the Seas: April 2017 Caribbean
NCL Getaway: April 2017 Miami to Copenhagen
Celebrity Infinity November 2017 Ft Lauderdale to Santiago, Chile
Navigator of the Seas: December 31, 2017 Caribbean
NCL Escape January 27-Feb 3, 2018
Vision of the Seas March 5-9, 2018
Brilliance of the Seas April 5-20, 2018 Tampa to Amsterdam
Vancouver, Canada
823 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Tom and Jessica were our inspiration. We met them about 3 years ago on a Transatlantic (Brilliance of the Seas). We are almost finished our first year now with next year planned out. We are doing a Panama Canal starting in January after a visit to our boys for Christmas. Then Island Princess from FLL to Buenos Aires. Staying for 12 days then jumping on the Emerald Princess going to Los Angeles. Then we fly to Tokyo to do China, Taiwan and full circumnavigation of Japan. We have about 8 days between a Transpacific to Vancouver (including Russia, more Japan and Alaska). Then we fly to Switzerland to move around Europe by train for 3 months before a Transatlantic back. We are managing to stay within budget pretty well. Thank god the stock market is doing well. We are travelling with 2 backpacks and 2 carry-ons. We found the cost of flying with suitcases was just a waste for us. So far this lifestyle is going well and we wouldn’t change a thing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

DC
13 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
I'm wondering about the comparison of full time cruising to renting a reasonably priced small apt near a major port, say in Florida for example, and then leaving when last minute bargains come up. My understanding is that they come up often.

I am more familiar with the hotel discount model - where you rack up points based on number of stays versus how much you actually spent on those stays.

I am not sure if cruise discounts work the same way? based on number of cruises or amount spent?
brooklyn ny
2,624 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by Barefootwoman
I'm wondering about the comparison of full time cruising to renting a reasonably priced small apt near a major port, say in Florida for example, and then leaving when last minute bargains come up. My understanding is that they come up often.

I am more familiar with the hotel discount model - where you rack up points based on number of stays versus how much you actually spent on those stays.

I am not sure if cruise discounts work the same way? based on number of cruises or amount spent?
Thats an interesting idea. Maybe buy a cheap condo...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

BREAKAWAY JULY 2, 2017

Near the Sea
1,335 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Is there a way to do B2B2B or B2B and then B2B on another route on the same line with an economy of scale?

We just met a couple who has not been "home" since Oct-- as they have been cruising for almost 4 mos now
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

4 days Cuba NCL Sun 2018
8 days Caribbean Celebrity Silhouette 2018
8 days Caribbean Celebrity Reflection 2016
15 days Baltics Celebrity Eclipse 2015
7 days Western Caribbean Carnival Sunshine 2014
4 days Bahamas Carnival Sensation 2011
8 days Alaska Regent Seven Seas Navigator 2010
11 days Southern Caribbean Celebrity Constellation 2007
7 days Western Caribbean Carnival Miracle 2006
7 days Eastern Caribbean Disney 2001

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly shouting, "'Wow! What a ride! Thank You, Lord!'" --Beth Moore
Quebec
1,340 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by WorldTravellerz
Tom and Jessica were our inspiration. We met them about 3 years ago on a Transatlantic (Brilliance of the Seas). We are almost finished our first year now with next year planned out. We are doing a Panama Canal starting in January after a visit to our boys for Christmas. Then Island Princess from FLL to Buenos Aires. Staying for 12 days then jumping on the Emerald Princess going to Los Angeles. Then we fly to Tokyo to do China, Taiwan and full circumnavigation of Japan. We have about 8 days between a Transpacific to Vancouver (including Russia, more Japan and Alaska). Then we fly to Switzerland to move around Europe by train for 3 months before a Transatlantic back. We are managing to stay within budget pretty well. Thank god the stock market is doing well. We are travelling with 2 backpacks and 2 carry-ons. We found the cost of flying with suitcases was just a waste for us. So far this lifestyle is going well and we wouldn’t change a thing.
Your trips sound amazing. We have about 250 cruising days and travelled internationally for work so we have been to a lot of the ports you will visit. China is amazing and we loved Buenos Aires. We were surprised by how much we enjoyed Russia.

I am amazed that you only have back packs and carry-ons. I can't manage to do that even for a couple of weeks. My hat is off to you to have the courage to do what you did and to pack the way you do!!!