walking to new orleans cruise terminal - where do you enter the terminal

CTG2001

Can you enter from Julia street?

Yes you can. But, do not enter the building at Julia St. Walk down next to the building to get to the entrance for boarding Carnival ships. (approx 200 ft. from the Julia St. entrance. We used the Julia St. entrance a few weeks ago. We were staying in a Hotel further up Julia St. so we just walked down, crossed the train tracks, walked up to the building, turned right, and walked up the sidewalk to the Carnival entrance. Others in our group took the street car to the Julia St. entrance also. (I don't believe there is a street car stop where you actually enter the Carnival section of the building at the cruise terminal)

That looks like a good walk that could get tiring quickly hauling luggage - even with wheels.

If you are staying at the Hilton Riverside, the walk isn't bad. You can go through the mall. The killer for us was the huge stairway at the end that we didn't know about. You have to be able to get yourselves and all of your luggage down that stairway. The road pictured above does not have any sort of walkway next to it, you would be walking in the road.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are staying at the Hilton Riverside, the walk isn't bad. You can go through the mall. The killer for us was the huge stairway at the end that we didn't know about. You have to be able to get yourselves and all of your luggage down that stairway. The road pictured above does not have any sort of walkway next to it, you would be walking in the road.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The doors were chained shut to the stairway last time I tried using it. Granted it's been a while though, now I just uber to the port.

The doors were chained shut to the stairway last time I tried using it. Granted it's been a while though, now I just uber to the port.

I’m guessing you’re talking about this gate. I find it closed when ships aren’t in port but open when they are.

956c8b675c90fc3e2efae7a220452f43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Schoifmom said:

> If you are staying at the Hilton Riverside, the walk isn't bad. You can go through the mall.

I second that strategy, and did that on my last cruise.

There are elevators & escalators in the mall, which is a great help with your luggage. The best route through the River Walk Mall is to head to the food court (up to the 3rd level), then take the elevators in the food court straight down to the Julia Street cruise terminal (directly beneath on the 1st level). Then just hand your luggage over to the porters there, and enjoy your vacation!

I find it helpful to drop off my luggage early with the porters, then enjoy the mall until boarding time. It's a great place to get lunch and souvenirs, and you can enjoy yourself instead of fighting the crowds to board the ship. There's plenty to do within walking distance. The boarding crowd thins out around 2:00PM.

Schoifmom said:

> If you are staying at the Hilton Riverside, the walk isn't bad. You can go through the mall.

I second that strategy, and did that on my last cruise.

There are elevators & escalators in the mall, which is a great help with your luggage. The best route through the River Walk Mall is to head to the food court (up to the 3rd level), then take the elevators in the food court straight down to the Julia Street cruise terminal (directly beneath on the 1st level). Then just hand your luggage over to the porters there, and enjoy your vacation!

I find it helpful to drop off my luggage early with the porters, then enjoy the mall until boarding time. It's a great place to get lunch and souvenirs, and you can enjoy yourself instead of fighting the crowds to board the ship. There's plenty to do within walking distance. The boarding crowd thins out around 2:00PM.

The elevator down to the terminal is not applicable to Carnival cruises...which are most of the cruises out of New Orleans.

The elevator down to the terminal is not applicable to Carnival cruises...which are most of the cruises out of New Orleans.

Saint Greg, if it's not applicable to Carnival, please help! We will be coming in on the trolley (streetcar).

Saint Greg, if it's not applicable to Carnival, please help! We will be coming in on the trolley (streetcar).

Ah no problem. You’re going to the Julia street stop? Look up at my pics in post #3. In the middle picture you see the covered bench on the left? That’s the John Churchill street car stop. I don’t think the street car goes down that far. If not you’d be getting off at Julia. Just follow that red line down and around the staircase to the port entrance.