Mexican Riveria

jeffmonty

You're not going to have much of a selection. Seabourn, Silversea and Regent do not have short Mexican Riviera cruises at all. Oceania Regatta has only one, 11 day Mexican Riviera cruise in late January, 2010, and Azamara only has two in January of 2011.

Crystal has a few 7 day MR cruises in November of 2010.

The luxury lines do more exotic itineraries and tend to stay away from MR cruises, leaving them to the mass market lines. Even the premium lines like Azamara and Oceania don't tend to go to that part of the world.

I have sailed twice to the Mexican Riviera with Crystal. It was a very nice experience. The first cruise was a 14 day Holiday cruise, the second was 7 days over Thanksgiving. I prefered the longer cruise, it allowed us more time to really enjoy Crystal's service and cuisine.

• 2 weeks later...
You're not going to have much of a selection. Seabourn, Silversea and Regent do not have short Mexican Riviera cruises at all. Oceania Regatta has only one, 11 day Mexican Riviera cruise in late January, 2010, and Azamara only has two in January of 2011.

Crystal has a few 7 day MR cruises in November of 2010.

The luxury lines do more exotic itineraries and tend to stay away from MR cruises, leaving them to the mass market lines. Even the premium lines like Azamara and Oceania don't tend to go to that part of the world.

I swear the Regent ship was in Puerto Vallarta last week alongside the NCL Star and a huge Carnival ship???? It was also in Los Angeles when we left on 10/3...

But maybe I was enjoying too many glasses of champagne!

I swear the Regent ship was in Puerto Vallarta last week alongside the NCL Star and a huge Carnival ship???? It was also in Los Angeles when we left on 10/3...

Haven't checked the schedule, but I'd guess that the Regent ship you saw was doing a Panama Canal transit (about 2 weeks) from Florida to California.:)

Crystal will have 4 Mexican Rivieras in the late fall of 2010.

The OP was asking for Mexican Riviera cruises, and the Regent ship was doing a repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal. While there were stops in Mexico, it's not technically a Mexican Riviera cruise.

I vote for too much champagne. :D Sorry but during that time period, the three Regent ships were either in Asia or Europe. There are no Panama Canal transits on Regent until December.

I vote for too much champagne. :D Sorry but during that time period, the three Regent ships were either in Asia or Europe. There are no Panama Canal transits on Regent until December.

I may have been wrong about the name of the ship BUT there were THREE ships in port in Puerto Vallarta on 10/7 and also THREE ships in Los Angeles when we left on 10/3. And on each occasion one of the ships was a smaller luxury line ship. I thought I remembered it being Regent and still think it was but if you are going by web site "Cruise TT" I don't believe they show ANY Regent ships so that would not solve the question either.

But I understand the difference between a "true" Mexican Riviera cruise and a re-positioning one....I now want to clear up the mystery of which ship was tag teaming us down the coast of Mexico! Maybe I better get my photos developed.....

I may have been wrong about the name of the ship BUT there were THREE ships in port in Puerto Vallarta on 10/7 and also THREE ships in Los Angeles when we left on 10/3. And on each occasion one of the ships was a smaller luxury line ship. I thought I remembered it being Regent and still think it was but if you are going by web site "Cruise TT" I don't believe they show ANY Regent ships so that would not solve the question either.

But I understand the difference between a "true" Mexican Riviera cruise and a re-positioning one....I now want to clear up the mystery of which ship was tag teaming us down the coast of Mexico! Maybe I better get my photos developed.....

Actually, I'm going by personal knowledge and the Regent schedule. I think the ship you saw was the Silversea Silver Shadow which left Los Angeles October 3rd on a nine day round trip cruise to various Mexican ports.

Dave

When is the best time to go and what cuise line should I use? Would like to use a premium or luxury line.

It easier to tell you what months not to go. That would be June - October. The weather is extremely hot in June/July/August and it is technically hurricane season. Hurricane season seems to be at it's peak in September -- into October. Hurricane Rick is currently off the coast of Cabo San Lucas. The rest of the year is beautiful!

It's no wonder that cruises are discounted in October. The following is a summary of steps cruise ships are currently taking to avoid the storm.

The Carnival Splendor departed California yesterday and is making an unplanned stop in Ensenada while it waits for the storm to pass further south. It will continue on to Puerta Vallarta and Cabo later in the week but has cancelled one port. The Carnival Spirit is making similiar changes to it's itinerary.

The Sapphire Princess left L.A. on Saturday going to Mexico and decided to turn around and go to San Francisco.

It isi possible that itineraries could also change on RC Radiance of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas, HAL's Veendam and Statendam, NCL's Norwegian Star and Norwegian Sun.

While the odds may be against this happening on a particular week, you just never know.

Archived