Jewel Balconies

gsuoumu

First time on NCL and obviously on Jewel. Only way the wife and I could afford to do the Alaskan cruise was if we booked an inside stateroom. No big deal, we've done it before and we can survive. But I was thinking about putting in an upgrade bid on a balcony. One concern I have is that on some ships I've seen where balconies had an obstructed view - usually by the life boats. Is that the case on Jewel? I'd hate to put a bid in, get the upgrade, only to end up with a horrible view.

Not a dealbreaker by any means. If we have to settle for an inside cabin we will. Like I said, we've done it before. Just wondering.

I don't believe there are any balconies directly in line with the life boats, on the Jewel. Looking at the deck plans it looks like there are only ocean view (life boat view) cabins in that area.

I would bid if it's not too much for your comfort zone. We are about to leave on our 3rd trip to Alaska, and the balcony is definitely worth it. You never know what scenery might go by while you're in your cabin.

I've never been on the Jewel, but I've been on all 3 of the other Jewel Class ships. The only bad experience I had was in a mini-suite on the Jade. We were right under La Cucina, and the noise from the restaurant/clean up went way into the night (like around 2 in the morning).

I would bid if it's not too much for your comfort zone. We are about to leave on our 3rd trip to Alaska, and the balcony is definitely worth it. You never know what scenery might go by while you're in your cabin.

I've never been on the Jewel, but I've been on all 3 of the other Jewel Class ships. The only bad experience I had was in a mini-suite on the Jade. We were right under La Cucina, and the noise from the restaurant/clean up went way into the night (like around 2 in the morning).

Do you remember the cabin number?

Alaska cruise balcony seems worth the splurge.... HOWEVER

If your room is under the show lounge or scraping pool chairs whole cruise less than amazing.

So for me.... sleep is 1st priority. If I don’t know where my cabin will be.... no thanks

I will be on the Jewel next month very happy to hear a lot of outdoor spaces :-)

Happy planning

Kerri

• Like 1

If you can handle a balcony? In my very biaseopinion, try an aft-facing cabin. There is no wind while the ship is cruising, so you can sit on the balcony with a hoody on and enjoy the scenery on BOTH sides. All our 17 cruises, mostly Trans-Atlantics, have been in aft B1 cabins. And the Great Outdoors buffet is a couple of decks above.

Just off the Jewel and for the first time we had one of the balconies all the way forward that were slightly enclosed ...I dont know what cabin class it was but it was 8034 .....we loved it !!! It had a little ledge that we could put our drinks on and the table went inside ....because it was partially enclosed we felt almost no wind at all ...we would book this one again ...

As described by Jldevlin

those are "hull" balconies on Deck 8 Fwd (recessed, but NOT obstructed views) and none hidden behind any lifeboats on the Jewel/Dawn/Gem class ships.

There are obstructed Oceanviews on Jewel's Deck 8 but that is not what you are bidding up for. Most of the balconies are on Deck 9, 10 and 11, none with any obstructions whatsoever - take a closer look at this picture of the Jewel, you can see the Hull Balconies on Deck 8, 9, 10, and 11 Forward.

https://www.enchantedmem.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/NCLjewel.jpg

There is so much to see and you mentioned being frugal and doing Alaska while trying to make it affordable - I would suggest skipping the bids (unless you are prepared to offer much more than what you are now paying for the Inside to be successful with your offer, as it will likely be crazy high. Save that money, dress in layers & step outside - in case of Alaska's ever-changing and rainy weather (yes, it get seasonally more rain/shower than Seattle, WA ... don't let those sunny pictures fool and mislead you) and use all that "free" outdoor space. Or, find the Spinmaker Lounge for viewing. Buy/pack a good binocular and use the money saved to do some shore excursions instead.

• Like 1

I just got off of jewel and I was in an obstructed OV cabin (OK category). It is my understanding that these are the only cabins with an obstructed view.

I agree with a previous poster about a ton of outdoor space. Spinnaker was a great place for chilling and looking outside.

Hope you win your bid!

Alaina

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alaska is the one place you want a balcony. While there is a lot of deck space, you want to be outside as much as possible and the balcony provides that option. Who wants to go on deck to watch sunset at midnight or sunrise at 4:00 a.m. ? The balcony solves that problem. OP should definitely put in a bid.

I original booked an inside room for Alaska but decided to upgrade myself to a balcony. It’s totally a personal choice but I know I will use the balcony a LOT. I decided it was worth the expense to have an instant view anytime I want. Not for everyone but it makes me happy.

We just got off the Jewel - a balcony cabin in Alaska. I can't imagine going with interior up there - we had some pretty cold weather and spent a lot of time in the cabin/on the balcony just watching Alaska go by while wrapped up in a big blanket. Not sure I would have been comfortable doing that on deck. For me, half the point of being in Alaska is the view.

We just got off the Jewel - a balcony cabin in Alaska. I can't imagine going with interior up there - we had some pretty cold weather and spent a lot of time in the cabin/on the balcony just watching Alaska go by while wrapped up in a big blanket. Not sure I would have been comfortable doing that on deck. For me, half the point of being in Alaska is the view.
Were you on port or starboard side and north or south? We're on the port going north and I've been reading it's not the "ideal" side but everyone has different opinions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Were you on port or starboard side and north or south? We're on the port going north and I've been reading it's not the "ideal" side but everyone has different opinions.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We were in 9534 and 9532 - toward the front on the port side. Our itinerary was different - Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Point, Sitka, Victoria, Vancouver - so we were more concerned with getting two rooms together than with the location. We took a one way trip going North a couple of years ago and were glad we chose starboard - more to see on that side toward the end of the trip. For the inside passage part there is plenty to see on both sides.

• 4 weeks later...
Just off the Jewel and for the first time we had one of the balconies all the way forward that were slightly enclosed ...I dont know what cabin class it was but it was 8034 .....we loved it !!! It had a little ledge that we could put our drinks on and the table went inside ....because it was partially enclosed we felt almost no wind at all ...we would book this one again ...

You don't by chance have a picture of the balcony area, do you? I'm sailing on the Jewel northbound leaving August 20th in 8026 and would love to know what to expect from the enclosed balcony!

You don't by chance have a picture of the balcony area, do you? I'm sailing on the Jewel northbound leaving August 20th in 8026 and would love to know what to expect from the enclosed balcony!

Check out cruisedeckplans.com. We use them extensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is a link to a youtube video of a Norwegian Jewel enclosed balcony. If link isn't "clickable" please copy and paste into your browser. You can search for privasea balcony, enclosed balcony, hull balcony on any of the Jewel class NCL ships to bring up other photos/videos. The sister ships are Pearl, Jewel, Jade and Gem.