Mont St Michel ship excursion from Cherbourg

red919

My upcoming Princess cruise stops in Cherbourg and as I visited the DDay Beaches and Bayeaux Tapestry last year from Le Havre, am seriously considering a visit to Mont St Michel. I am lucky to have plenty of obc to cover the ship's excursion which includes a 2hr drive there with shuttle service up to the entrance, a tour and free time before heading back to the ship. I personally have no problem with the 2hr journey as I love to read and the time flies. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done this particular Princess cruise excursion.

And before anyone suggests it, someone on our roll call has set up a private excursion for the same price but their posts are not particularly friendly and I don't think I'd want to spend a day with this person. I've enjoyed private excursions on other cruises and I could be very wrong about this particular person but their negative posts have led me to be a bit wary.

I'm not interested in renting a car so am definitely considering the ship's tour. I usually prefer private excursions but must say the Celebrity ship excursion I took last year was not bad at all. The bus was not filled to capacity and the guide was quite good. I'm just wondering how it compares to Princess. Thanks for your input.

We have not done the Princess excursion (we seldom do any excursions) but are very familiar with MSM and the drive (having driven the route ourselves). You have done your homework and already understand it is a pretty long bus ride. There is never a way to accurately predict the quality of any excursion since much is dependent on your guide and your fellow cruisers. With MSM, getting there is the challenge. Once at the town it is just a matter of walking and enjoying the scenery/atmosphere of the place. Take the excursion and have yourself a wonderful day. And don't forget your camera :).

Hank

We have not done the Princess excursion (we seldom do any excursions) but are very familiar with MSM and the drive (having driven the route ourselves). You have done your homework and already understand it is a pretty long bus ride. There is never a way to accurately predict the quality of any excursion since much is dependent on your guide and your fellow cruisers. With MSM, getting there is the challenge. Once at the town it is just a matter of walking and enjoying the scenery/atmosphere of the place. Take the excursion and have yourself a wonderful day. And don't forget your camera :).

Hank

Thank you so much for posting. Exactly what I need to hear. :)

Thanks again!

We have also been to MSM on our own. Luckily, we got there around 3pm in the afternoon just as the tour buses were leaving.

It is France's second most visited site after the Eiffel Tower, so is extremely busy. We were there in June and it was crowded.

It is a steep climb up the Mount through narrow streets, so I would be inclined to go with the private tour which is likely to have less people.

• 1 month later...

Hello! We will arrive at Cherbourg on may 2016. If someone of you did Mont St. Michel from Cherbourg by own, please tell me how. I don t find proper train or bus transfer. Our ship will be in the port from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Thanks a lot!

• 9 months later...
Hello! We will arrive at Cherbourg on may 2016. If someone of you did Mont St. Michel from Cherbourg by own, please tell me how. I don t find proper train or bus transfer. Our ship will be in the port from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Thanks a lot!

I don't see that anyone ever answered your question. Did you figure out how to do it? We will be in Cherbourg in May and Mont St. Michel is exactly where we want to go. Thanks!

Kim

Hello! Yes, we rented a car, we booked it online before our arriving from Enterprise. A lady came with the car in the port and at returning we let the car at their office which is close to the port.

Enjoy your cruise!

I don't see that anyone ever answered your question. Did you figure out how to do it? We will be in Cherbourg in May and Mont St. Michel is exactly where we want to go. Thanks!

Kim

As we mentioned (a long time ago) it can be done with a rental car. But that assumes you are willing to spend about 5 hours on the road (round trip). There are several rental car agencies in Cherbourg...some of them within a long walk from the port.....and all within a very short taxi ride.

Hank

I don't see that anyone ever answered your question. Did you figure out how to do it? We will be in Cherbourg in May and Mont St. Michel is exactly where we want to go.

There is, unfortunately, no easy way to do this by train. Either rent a car or take a bus tour. It's a lovely place, not to be missed.

There is, unfortunately, no easy way to do this by train. Either rent a car or take a bus tour. It's a lovely place, not to be missed.

Don t worry, just rent a car onlne in time and be sure you book to be in port when the ship will arrive. We did it and we arrived at Mont St. Michel before the cruise company bus tours. We visited with calm, enogh time for souvenirs shopping and back in time to the ship. When you book the car, order the gps, too. The street is ok, we had absolutely non problems. It was on may 2016.

• 1 year later...

I'm seeing all these folks who've rented cars in Cherbourg, but I'm having trouble finding a car rental agency that opens before 9. Our ship ports at 7 and with the long ride and tour buses, we'd like to be on the road by 8, not waiting to get a car. I've reached out to AutoEurope to see if they open their ferry location earlier when ships are in port. Both Avis and Thrifty come up in searches but when you go to reserve them, errors occur because the locations aren't open. Unfortunately we'll be in port on a Saturday and some have hours as limited as 9-12. Help!

I'm seeing all these folks who've rented cars in Cherbourg, but I'm having trouble finding a car rental agency that opens before 9. Our ship ports at 7 and with the long ride and tour buses, we'd like to be on the road by 8, not waiting to get a car. I've reached out to AutoEurope to see if they open their ferry location earlier when ships are in port. Both Avis and Thrifty come up in searches but when you go to reserve them, errors occur because the locations aren't open. Unfortunately we'll be in port on a Saturday and some have hours as limited as 9-12. Help!

Yeah, that is a problem. The French do not like to work long hours, they love their weekends off, and really love their many holidays. In your position we would try contacting

https://www.francecars.fr/agences/agence-cherbourg-a92.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=mybusiness

This location does show its open from 8-noon on Saturdays. You would probably need to contact them directly (via e-mail of phone call) to find out if its possible to drop a car after hours (most rental agencies have a drop box for this sort of thing). Getting any agency to open an hour early (because a cruise ship is in port) is unlikely in France :(. Believe it or not, but we have had luck getting Italian rental car companies to open early (or deliver a car early) but in France it would take more than a miracle.

Hank

We used Enterprise. A lady came with the car in port.

Hello

I have been to St Michaels a few times and its best to spend the night on the island. It gets really crowded during the daytime but when everyone goes home it’s great. Cobble stone streets and lots of history. The monastery is closed at night but the town is vibrant and you have it all to yourself and few other guests that are staying the night.

The monastery opens in the morning and is very interesting to see. Their are a few restaurants on the island and lots of gift shops with the typical tourist stuff. I don’t remember every buying anything there.

I would suggest eating at La Mere Poulard. It’s expensive but is quite unique that they cook over an open fire in brass pots. The reviews claims it’s over priced but we loved it so much the next time we visited we stayed in the hotel. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah, that is a problem. The French do not like to work long hours, they love their weekends off, and really love their many holidays. In your position we would try contacting

https://www.francecars.fr/agences/agence-cherbourg-a92.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=mybusiness

This location does show its open from 8-noon on Saturdays. You would probably need to contact them directly (via e-mail of phone call) to find out if its possible to drop a car after hours (most rental agencies have a drop box for this sort of thing). Getting any agency to open an hour early (because a cruise ship is in port) is unlikely in France :(. Believe it or not, but we have had luck getting Italian rental car companies to open early (or deliver a car early) but in France it would take more than a miracle.

Hank

Thank you! France Cars got back to me right away and they'll allow us after hours drop off. We are reserved so fingers crossed it all works out!

I would recommend the ship bus tour, just for the reason it will take at least 2 1/2 hours each way, the monastery will take you another 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours depending on how long you want to spend there.

The streets are cobble stoned and very narrow.

Just the trip back and forth with no problems is 4 hours and if you spend a rushed 2 hours at Mt St Michaels then figure in the process of renting and picking up the car and dropping it off you are close to a 7 hour day.

How long will the ship be in pier?

This is one time I would recommend the cruise ship own excursion, because if you don’t make it back in time they will leave without if you book the excursion on your own.

Airrace does speak the truth. It is a pretty long ride and could take up to 2:45 (one way) depending on traffic. If you have a really long port day it is doable,....but an awful lot of driving. This is why we never visited Mont St Michel while on a cruise...but rather drove there during a long France driving trip (and we stayed at a motel about 2-3 miles outside of the town. Our best memory of the place was seeing it all lit up at night (from a distance) as its both beautiful and eerie. When we were in Cherbourg (on a cruise) it happened to be in early June so we decided to spend the day visiting D-Day related sites that we had not seen on prior driving trips. We really enjoyed visiting St Mere Eglise...as it was during a multi-day D-Day celebration which included some reenactments. The funny thing was that we would pass many WWII US Military Vehicles and the people in the vehicles were dressed in WWII uniforms. When we stopped for some food we meet a few of these folks and they turned out to be Germans! Apparently there are some clubs in Germany that are into reenactments and they invest a lot of their time and money buying/restoriing WWII vehicles and uniforms....from the allies. Go figure.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Hank. Sure nice to see a familiar face.

Princess offered a wheelchair accessible tour to Mont St Michel in April. I fully understand that I will not be able to make it to most of the highlights, but at least getting there will be an accomplishment. I think I was the first one to book when the tour was offered. Do you have any words of wisdom on how I can make the best of what I will be able to access?

Not having Ruth with me is still awkward. Nancy was on a couple cruises with me in January and in November I cruised with the lady sharing this cruise.

Betty

raindropsalways

Myself and partner have visited MSM on a land holiday and I took a small mobility scooter. There is a free shuttle bus from the car park which is fully accessible. I think the tour coaches have to drop their passengers there too.

However, once you get out to the mount itself it's not very disabled friendly. My OH wanted me to go up into the mount on my scooter, but it didn't look very easy. I ended up waiting for him at the bottom whilst he walked up. He said it is fairly steep, but I may have been able to go in some of the shops at the bottom.

You need to decide if it's worth going all that way, but possibly not being able to visit the mount.

The drive there is quite nice, but we took the country roads and not the motorway.

raindropsalways

Myself and partner have visited MSM on a land holiday and I took a small mobility scooter. There is a free shuttle bus from the car park which is fully accessible. I think the tour coaches have to drop their passengers there too.

However, once you get out to the mount itself it's not very disabled friendly. My OH wanted me to go up into the mount on my scooter, but it didn't look very easy. I ended up waiting for him at the bottom whilst he walked up. He said it is fairly steep, but I may have been able to go in some of the shops at the bottom.

You need to decide if it's worth going all that way, but possibly not being able to visit the mount.

The drive there is quite nice, but we took the country roads and not the motorway.

Thank you so much for the info. I'm going with the attitude “seeing it from afar is better than not seeing it at all.” Actually, I'm considering making another portable ramp. From what I understand, even with the ramp, I probably could not get all the way up, but could get a lot closer.

Ruth and I attempted to get to get there a number of times from La Harve, but the “medical” transportation was real expensive.

Oh, I referred your post about St. Petersburgh tour to someone else on our cruise. Suggested that they check on the "Disabled" board.

Betty

raindropsalways

If you go with the attitude that you may not be able to visit it all you will be fine. I believe it can get crowded there. When we went we didn't arrive until late afternoon, so many visitors were already leaving.

We are thinking of doing another Baltic cruise, glad my advice was useful.

Enjoy your holiday.

London Towner, thanks again.

As far as I am concerned, seeing things from a distance is better than not seeing them at all. And seeing the real thing is a lot more fun than looking at pictures. And the biggest plus of all, is the fact that people all over the world are wonderful.

If you do the Baltic and have a stop in Copenhagen, please visit Vor Frue Kirke - Københavns Domkirke (Church of Our Lady - Copenhagen Cathedral). One of the best kept secrets. It houses Bertel Thorvaldsen sculptures of Christ and the Apostles. The church is wheelchair accessible. Since I did not know the name of the sculpturer, it took me a while to find it.

And just a short distance from the church is Torvehallerne. Try their “fish and chips”. You will not be disappointed.