Have you had a spa facial onboard the ship?

blarko

Thinking about pampering myself a little on my upcoming cruise. Would love to get a facial, but after reading some of the stories on here about the spa, I’m a little hesitant. Has anyone ever had a facial done on the ship, and if so, would you recommend it? Which one would you recommend?

Thinking about pampering myself a little on my upcoming cruise. Would love to get a facial, but after reading some of the stories on here about the spa, I’m a little hesitant. Has anyone ever had a facial done on the ship, and if so, would you recommend it? Which one would you recommend?

I would say it depends on what you’re used to. If you’ve never had one, sure... it’s a nice treat.

But know that like many things on vacation, it will be overpriced compared to what you can get at home.

Because of my job, I have moved around quite a bit and have gotten facials in many, many cities... I would say that ship facials are hit or miss. I have never found them to be as thorough as an aesthetician on land. As I get older, I also have less patience for the barrage of selling lotions and potions at the end. I used to get facials on ships, now I just get one at home before I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

:)I had a facial on my last cruise and it was very nice. I also loved the Elemis products so purchased some when I got home (they run sales online and free shipping, so no need to buy onboard) She did a great job on my cruise and it was better than the ones I get at home. They do push products but I just told her I would think about it, remembered what she recommended, and then purchased what I wanted online. 6 months later using the products and my skin is looking so much healthier and not as dry....plus the breakouts I was getting (at age 30 plus) and now gone. I am glad I had it done, but since I use the products now I wouldn’t get another one on the ship. Hope you have a great time if you decide to get a facial.

For the price they charge, compared to what I now pay around home, they should be much better but they are not. Just like a hairdresser, unless an emergency, find one local to you that you can develop a trusting relationship with, as single treatments rarely allow for lasting results.

If you do get one, regardless if prior to boarding or with the onboard spa, let the aesthetician know what your in port and post cruise plans are. Once when I had a seaday mini spa day (multiple back 2 back services for 3 hours total). As part of the facial I let the aesthetician talk me into an upgrade. Well long story short the with products she wound up using, I could not go in the sun or get sweaty for 48 hours afterwards or I would risk hyperpigmentation. It did put a quash on our snorkel plans for the next day, and if it had been a port or an excursion I had really been looking forward to I would of been really PO'ed. (Luckily we'd been there before and shore excursions was able to cancel the tickets, so we just did some quick shopping and stayed mostly on the ship that day.)

I love facials, I've had them on a few cruises. I will say, they do try and sell you their products pretty hard afterwards. I was a little unprepared for this the first time... Especially since i get facials at home and they never push like that. I thought, am I expected to buy $400 worth of face cream because I wanted a facial?

Now I prefer massages onboard Because after a massage you don't get the sales pitch. But it doesn't make the facials any less wonderful, I just wish they would not do this.

I've had a few and tbh they have been nice but not really worth the "triple what I pay at home" cost. The hard sell is also a pain. I took my niece for a "mother daughter" special they were doing onboard and while I was getting dressed they gave her the hard sell! She was 14 at the time!!!!! When I said that was ridiculous as she was a child the staff member just shrugged and said if we buy today and return it the next day she gets commission for the sale so it's an easy way for her to up her money as people were being tight with extra tips on the last cruise. Needless to say I said an emphatic no sale and left. Complained at guest services and they just nodded and said yes that happens a lot onboard you just have to be firm and say no next time. I was speechless, just walked away saying not gonna be a next time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I have had massages - never a facial. I have sensitive skin and would never run the risk. I did do a scrub massage and was not warned about sun after and it really did a number on me being in the heat. Would never do it again.

I also think the prices are insane compared to Home...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The facials on board are awesome and I love the Elemis products. I get a facial on the last day of every cruise and I've never experienced the hard sell so many posters complain about. (I don't consider offering a product a hard sell; and I've never had them ask a second time after I said I wasn't interested. That being said, I have purchase products and have been purchasing the same Elemis on line for many years now.) A facial is a little pricey, but I find the prices to be in line with the better spas (Red Door, Mandara Spa, etc.)

So many helpful replies! Thank you for the wealth of information. Something I didn’t think about was the sun exposure afterwards. If I do decide to do the facial, I guess I’ll wait until the last day. Thank you all!!

I had one. I wouldn't do it again. It's all about selling product. It was nice, but all tech could do was tell me how bad my skin was but if I bought XXX, it would be good again. I really have good skin for my age but it is what it is. A sales game.

I have had quite a few spa services on several different ships. Every one of them has been wonderful. Yes at the end of them you do get a sales pitch but I have never had what you would call a “hard sell”. I think if you are nice and just say no thanks that’s all there is to it. I love going to the spa it is one of the highlights of my cruise. I have three spa treatments pre-booked for my upcoming cruise in September and I cannot wait! And yes one of them is a facial[emoji138]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had one facial and bought some Elemis products - moisturizer and eye balm. Had to toss them later at home because they caused really ugly red blotches on my skin that took awhile to get rid of. I would be careful of the Elemis facial products if you have sensitive skin, which I don't normally have. After that experience, I found an article that compared facial products and Elemis was way down on the list. I have used only Estee Lauder facial products and makeup for almost 20 years and never had the experience I had with Elemis. By the way, the facial was okay, but not what I was used to at land salons. Not worth the money.