Phoenix-London on British Airways: seeking advice please

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:13 PM.
1,903 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Disneyfriend
Thank you for the clarification . . . I guess I didn't understand the distinction. So Global Entry helps to expedite re-entry into the U.S., and would apply to our arrival back in Phoenix (since Sky Harbor has Global Entry kiosks).

But it would not help to expedite us through security at either Sky Harbor (on our Phx-London leg) or Heathrow (on our London-Phx leg), because British Airways does not participate in TSA Precheck. Is that about right?
Yes, you are correct. Although even if BA did participate in PreCheck the TSA have zero jurisdiction in the UK so you won't see any PreCheck lines at Heathrow.
Hampshire, UK
705 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
Have you flown with BA recently? Especially in cattle class? They truly are the pits, I'm sorry to say.

I'm ashamed to have to talk of our so called national airline like this but honestly their service, food etc are awful.

If you have any alternative then give BA a miss.

If not then take some extra food with you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,606 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by fbgd
WT+ does not get priority boarding. Priority Boarding is limited to First, Club World and oneworld Rubies and up. At some airports there may be a separate WT+ check-in line but this an exception rather than "brand standard". Personally I find it amusing the headphones would be described as "excellent", even the ones in First are terrible, IMO.

I should note that BA doesn't participate in TSA PreCheck.
Our last 4 flights, BOS/LHR/BOS with BA have all called WT+ to board before WT, thus it's a quasi perk, allowing us to get the hand luggage into the overhead and settle in for a pre-cruise beverage. First on my agenda - take out a few Lysol wipes and wipe the arm rests, beverage tables, remote and monitor. As far as the noise blocking head phones - anything is excellent compared to ear buds and the crummy things sold on domestic flights.

LHR offers expedited entry if you fly first or business. I've seen the sign while standing in line at passport control.

Upon return to the US, Global Entry is a nice way to avoid the long lines in BOS and elsewhere. Insert your passport into the kiosk slot, do the biometric hand/finger scan, face forward and in seconds, your entry slip appears. No need to complete the blue US Customs card while on the homeward flight.

Security leaving LHR is very thorough. IMO, far more so than any I've experienced at any US airport.

Re: BA's overall decline - Those planes flying the BOS/LHR route tend to be the older ones, 747 v 787's like Virgin flies. Service on all planes isn't like it used to be.

Anything is better than economy, especially flying from PHX to LHR.

Darcy
Arizona
11 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Originally posted by WatchHill
Our last 4 flights, BOS/LHR/BOS with BA have all called WT+ to board before WT, thus it's a quasi perk, allowing us to get the hand luggage into the overhead and settle in for a pre-cruise beverage. First on my agenda - take out a few Lysol wipes and wipe the arm rests, beverage tables, remote and monitor. As far as the noise blocking head phones - anything is excellent compared to ear buds and the crummy things sold on domestic flights.

LHR offers expedited entry if you fly first or business. I've seen the sign while standing in line at passport control.

Upon return to the US, Global Entry is a nice way to avoid the long lines in BOS and elsewhere. Insert your passport into the kiosk slot, do the biometric hand/finger scan, face forward and in seconds, your entry slip appears. No need to complete the blue US Customs card while on the homeward flight.

Security leaving LHR is very thorough. IMO, far more so than any I've experienced at any US airport.

Re: BA's overall decline - Those planes flying the BOS/LHR route tend to be the older ones, 747 v 787's like Virgin flies. Service on all planes isn't like it used to be.

Anything is better than economy, especially flying from PHX to LHR.

Darcy
Thank you, Darcy.
1,903 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by ellie1145
Have you flown with BA recently? Especially in cattle class? They truly are the pits, I'm sorry to say.

I'm ashamed to have to talk of our so called national airline like this but honestly their service, food etc are awful.
Obviously this is somewhat subjective but as a BA Gold/Silver cardholder for almost 15yrs now I really don't see the "awful service" you speak of. Yes, there have been some well known cuts, and the law of averages when you've flown them dozens/hundreds of times means you might find one member of cabin crew on an off day but I certainly wouldn't describe them as "the pits".