Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I called my Vet's office and asked about any further requirements for entrance into Mexico, which I will be doing at the end of our Hawaii cruise.

The doctor informed me that the use of HeartGuard and NexGaurd on a monthly basis [never missing a dosage] completely protects Horton from any ectoparasites or endoparasites, of which the Mexican Agricultural Inspectors are most concerned about. And, unfortunately most of the general public do not use for their pets that they might be bringing into Mexico. This is Mexico's way of attempting to protect their animal population and, another reason why you want to make sure NOT to allow their strays near your dog!

He assured me that the consistent use of these two meds assures that Horton is protected from the parasites that their new regulations are referring to.

Thank goodness, I thought I had something else I had to worry about.

We who walk or wheel with a Service Dog take ALL the extra measures to protect our dogs from disease. Lucky dogs!!!!!

Yes, as long as your vet uses the current form 7001 for Mexico certifying to those treatments that is all you need.

Dianne

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Halo is doing great. We left Monday, stayed in Salt Lake City 3 nights (husband has a job there). Now in Boonville, Missouri, 2 hours west of St Louis.

He rides like a champ. We make a point of finding him places to play fetch with his ball when we stop.

Next 5 nights we will be at my parents. In a house with a fenced yard. I am sure he will love having a break from the car.

Linda and Halo

Cindy, make sure your Vet has a new Aphis 7001 form and that he writes [or types], when Wex has his check-up, that Wex is on HeartGuard and Flea & Tick abatement regularly.

Same thoughts here. Mexico uses a partly bilingual form. I have my vet do both versions (English only version). My vet and I always list the two products anyway (HeartGuard and flea & tick) by their scientific names in the area on the right side of the form.

But never have done any deworming so far, including Costa Rica.

Just make sure the vet uses no abbreviations like yrs for years (dog's age). Mexico doesn't like that.

Roz, your Hawaii cruise info has been epic!! So useful for all of us.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Halo is doing great. We left Monday, stayed in Salt Lake City 3 nights (husband has a job there). Now in Boonville, Missouri, 2 hours west of St Louis.

He rides like a champ. We make a point of finding him places to play fetch with his ball when we stop.

Next 5 nights we will be at my parents. In a house with a fenced yard. I am sure he will love having a break from the car.

Linda and Halo

Linda, sounds like you really planned traveling with Halo perfectly. Have a safe and happy trip!!!!

Same thoughts here. Mexico uses a partly bilingual form. I have my vet do both versions (English only version). My vet and I always list the two products anyway (HeartGuard and flea & tick) by their scientific names in the area on the right side of the form.

But never have done any deworming so far, including Costa Rica.

Just make sure the vet uses no abbreviations like yrs for years (dog's age). Mexico doesn't like that.

Roz, your Hawaii cruise info has been epic!! So useful for all of us.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Chris, isn't it ridiculous? I'm doing this cruise again onboard the Emerald Princess in December of 2018.......I think I've got it down now. The Agricultural Inspector in Kauai was so nice, hopefully Horton's exam with her will go as well! She said once Horton is examined on Kauai he will NOT have to be looked at again!

Hey Everyone - I spent last week at a conference in Marco Island, Fl and when I got home Friday I had to get ready to entertain 60 friends and neighbors Saturday at our annual pre-Thanksgiving party. This was the 17th year in a row we have hosted it for our cul-de-sac...and it keeps growing because all the former cul-de-sacrs keep coming back to the party as well as the new neighbors.

Saturday morning I started frying 5 turkeys and I cooked one the old fashioned way as well...I was one tired fellow by the end of the day; but we all had a great time as usual and for the 17th year in a row the weather co-operated.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Happy Tuesday, all.

We leave in 25 days for our family cruise. All seems to be getting in line.

Sadly, I'm not taking Scooter. I'm just not sure he is ready, plus we will be on Celebrity Silhouette with their much abused lawn. I'm afraid he would try, and potentially succeed, in using the lawn for his business. Due to the timing and her declining health, our trainer can't keep him, and my mom is recovering from a broken hip so she can't keep him. Poor boy will be at the Vet for a week. My friend with his littermate is leaving a couple of days before we return, so he can't stay there.

He will be well cared for, but I'm still not happy about it. He isn't ready, though. Close, but not quite. A little too much puppy remaining in him.

Meanwhile, a funny story. Last night, hubby was out late for a meeting. It gets so dark now! Scooter decided about 9 that it was bedtime. We went for a walk, and he headed for his crate. Then he comes out, noses me, and goes back in his crate. I told him it wasn't bedtime yet, but he kept repeating that behavior. Such a funny dog!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hey Everyone - I spent last week at a conference in Marco Island, Fl and when I got home Friday I had to get ready to entertain 60 friends and neighbors Saturday at our annual pre-Thanksgiving party. This was the 17th year in a row we have hosted it for our cul-de-sac...and it keeps growing because all the former cul-de-sacrs keep coming back to the party as well as the new neighbors.

Saturday morning I started frying 5 turkeys and I cooked one the old fashioned way as well...I was one tired fellow by the end of the day; but we all had a great time as usual and for the 17th year in a row the weather co-operated.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

OMG! That's a lot of work.......Good for you!

We're having a heat wave here in L.A. We expect it to get up to 95 degrees on Turkey Day!!!!! Should make for a very interesting cooking day! ;)

Happy Tuesday, all.

We leave in 25 days for our family cruise. All seems to be getting in line.

Sadly, I'm not taking Scooter. I'm just not sure he is ready, plus we will be on Celebrity Silhouette with their much abused lawn. I'm afraid he would try, and potentially succeed, in using the lawn for his business. Due to the timing and her declining health, our trainer can't keep him, and my mom is recovering from a broken hip so she can't keep him. Poor boy will be at the Vet for a week. My friend with his littermate is leaving a couple of days before we return, so he can't stay there.

He will be well cared for, but I'm still not happy about it. He isn't ready, though. Close, but not quite. A little too much puppy remaining in him.

Meanwhile, a funny story. Last night, hubby was out late for a meeting. It gets so dark now! Scooter decided about 9 that it was bedtime. We went for a walk, and he headed for his crate. Then he comes out, noses me, and goes back in his crate. I told him it wasn't bedtime yet, but he kept repeating that behavior. Such a funny dog!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Barb, you have to be comfortable as Scooter's handler that he will be "on point" out in the public. Don't doubt yourself and the decisions that you make for him. Trust in your good judgment.

The Vet's a great place for our dogs, they know exactly what to do for them and what they need. Make sure that you send him off with a favorite blanket and toy. And, if you have a shirt with your smell all over it, that you can part with, that would be good for him to cuddle with when he's going to sleep.

Horton's confused about the light/dark thing too, just like children!

Don't you love the anticipation thing before the cruise? So much to do and so much to look forward to!

Barb, you have to be comfortable as Scooter's handler that he will be "on point" out in the public. Don't doubt yourself and the decisions that you make for him. Trust in your good judgment.

The Vet's a great place for our dogs, they know exactly what to do for them and what they need. Make sure that you send him off with a favorite blanket and toy. And, if you have a shirt with your smell all over it, that you can part with, that would be good for him to cuddle with when he's going to sleep.

Horton's confused about the light/dark thing too, just like children!

Don't you love the anticipation thing before the cruise? So much to do and so much to look forward to!

Thanks, Roz. I guess I needed reassurance. He will be at a great vet, with a beautiful kennel facility. I'll take one of the cushions he curls up on in the living room - that if it doesn't come home isn't an issue. I've attached a link to their kennel.

The shirt I had not thought of. I'l make sure to wear an old t-shirt for a couple of days to leave with him.

A couple of balls, an elk antler, and I need to ask if they can do a Kong with kibble and plain yogurt for him. He has decided those are the best.

Thanks, Roz. I guess I needed reassurance. He will be at a great vet, with a beautiful kennel facility. I'll take one of the cushions he curls up on in the living room - that if it doesn't come home isn't an issue. I've attached a link to their kennel.

The shirt I had not thought of. I'l make sure to wear an old t-shirt for a couple of days to leave with him.

A couple of balls, an elk antler, and I need to ask if they can do a Kong with kibble and plain yogurt for him. He has decided those are the best.

Love everything but the elk antler. The antler has no "give" so if you have an aggressive chewer there is the possibility of chipping a tooth. JMHO!

Love everything but the elk antler. The antler has no "give" so if you have an aggressive chewer there is the possibility of chipping a tooth. JMHO!

He is not a super chewer. He carries it around the house, tries to dig out the marrow, then drops it somewhere for a while. The elk antler seems to be a good comfort item for him. Soft toys are just rip apart toys. We used to get fluff everywhere!

Which reminds me, I need to grab hubby's old jeans and make a new stuffed toy for him. Old jeans, button thread, stuffed with old socks work pretty well. He doesn' care if it is just a square instead of decorated.

I thought I read it and when Roz said no, I reread it and it was different. I think I'm losing it. Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Cindy, as long as Wex is on preventative HeartGuard and NexGuard or an equivalent to flea and tick prevention on a MONTHLY BASIS and, your Vet puts that information on the Aphis 7001 form, you do NOT have to do any deworming or use any extra pills for parasite maintenance. Mexico wants to be sure that any dog that is brought into the country is coming in parasite free. CCI dogs are ALWAYS kept on a good prevention program and we're taught to keep it up after we attend Team Training and graduate with our dogs.

Make sure that your Vet stipulates to the above on his exam and paperwork.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! It will be a quiet Thanksgiving with my wife and daughter tomorrow. Then on Friday we will be at Barnes & Noble gift wrapping for CCI donations from open (8:00 AM) to close (9:00 or 10:00PM) So stay safe and eat alot!!

Right back at you ♥ Go represent us well ♥

I want to wish all of you a wonderful, thankful and joyful Thanksgiving with whomever you will be with.

I'm now getting the Rabies Titer [blood draw] from my Vet, who was supposed to inform the Lab to send it directly to Hawaii.] Will this ever end? I'm getting the Vet's office to scan and email the results to me and I will hand carry along with Horton's other paperwork. I'll present it to the Agricultural Inspector in Kauai.

My only saving grace in this whole fiasco is that when I go to Hawaii next year I will ONLY have to notify the Inspector that were coming, fax my itinerary to her and have a "new" completed Aphis 7001 form. The blood titer is good for 3 years and ALL other paperwork will be sufficient. It will also be my last trip to Hawaii [if any other children request a cruise there, I will simply say "NO!"]

Also, my sweet, handsome Horton will be ready to retire by then and I will be on the list for a "Successor!" Can't think of it, without tearing-up!

I want to wish all of you a wonderful, thankful and joyful Thanksgiving with whomever you will be with.

I'm now getting the Rabies Titer [blood draw] from my Vet, who was supposed to inform the Lab to send it directly to Hawaii.] Will this ever end? I'm getting the Vet's office to scan and email the results to me and I will hand carry along with Horton's other paperwork. I'll present it to the Agricultural Inspector in Kauai.

My only saving grace in this whole fiasco is that when I go to Hawaii next year I will ONLY have to notify the Inspector that were coming, fax my itinerary to her and have a "new" completed Aphis 7001 form. The blood titer is good for 3 years and ALL other paperwork will be sufficient. It will also be my last trip to Hawaii [if any other children request a cruise there, I will simply say "NO!"]

Also, my sweet, handsome Horton will be ready to retire by then and I will be on the list for a "Successor!" Can't think of it, without tearing-up!

My gosh it seems like Horty just started his job!...he has surely earned a terrific retirement.

My gosh it seems like Horty just started his job!...he has surely earned a terrific retirement.

I know, I so agree with you. I swear didn't I just go to Team Training? I remember the very first time I saw him.......definitely love at first sight. He wouldn't stop mouthing my hand when we would walk together. I remember a tear falling on my cheek when he did this, so sweet!