What are the pros and cons of sailing on a sold out cruise?

I wouldn't even begin to know if any of mine have been sold out or not. How do you know yours is "almost sold out"? The cruise lines always say they sail full. However, I tend toward the smaller ships. I am not big on crowds and prefer to be able to find quiet, secluded places to read or watch the sea.

I wouldn't even begin to know if any of mine have been sold out or not. How do you know yours is "almost sold out"? The cruise lines always say they sail full. However, I tend toward the smaller ships. I am not big on crowds and prefer to be able to find quiet, secluded places to read or watch the sea.

A lot of people do mock bookings hoping for an early saver discount. Our cruise was full in July, it was on the Legend to Alaska though. I didn't really notice any pros or cons except I knew months in advanced there would be no more early saver discounts. LOL

Curious, it appears our girls trip is on an almost sold out cruise on the Triumph. What are some of the pros and cons of a full ship?

The pros and cons will all depend on your perspective.

There's two types of sold out.

1) All cabins are confirmed booked

2) All muster station/lifeboat slots are allocated

With the first instance you don't know if every berth in each section is taken or if there are triple or quad cabins housing solos or a couple instead. So while the cruise is sold out to new bookings additional passengers could be added to existing bookings. In this case there will be no upgrade calls or lower prices under ES. In this case the ship is sailing fully booked but could have a low number of passengers.

In the second instance lifeboat capacity is reached, but there might be cabins left available. This bodes well for those hoping for upgrades, because the cruise line would prefer the more expensive cabins are filled even if it's at a discount. Again unless there are cancellations ES will be closed out to price adjustments. Here you could generally run into a cruise feeling crowded.

Thanks. I've been looking at Mock bookings and I have 2 more who are thinking of joining us. The rooms to choose from are very limited. Like 2 on main and 1 on riviera. No OV offered. And price has gone up. Maybe due to Halloween all month on Carnival?

I was not aware about the Muster station, but makes total sense now that I think about it. Call it my duh moment :)

I was thinking in terms of is it harder to get into shows, longer buffet lines, etc.

Thanks again

As others have said, it is hard to know if any given sailing is truly "sold out", but most sail full or nearly full.

We did have one cruise on HAL that was in late January and a large snow and ice storm hit the Mid-Atlantic and North East the day before the cruise. We had an 8:30 am flight out of Philly the day before and we were one of the last planes to leave for the next 2 days. The ship sailed half full even though it was "sold out." It was awesome, had no issues finding a deck chair near the pool, no lines at the buffet, great seats for the shows. That, however is a very rare occurrence.