Koningsdam balcony cabin - need category help

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:20 PM.
1,876 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hi there. I want to book a balcony cabin on the Koningsdam, and need some help, please, with deciphering the balcony categories. I want a non-obstructed view balcony. I've seen some mention of balcony railings that are metal, not clear plexiglass. Is that right? So if I want a non-obstructed balcony, with a clear balcony railing, what categories should I be looking at? I might be OK with a guarantee, as long as I knew it wasn't obstructed.

Thanks for your help.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary Ellen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
coming up:
HAL Koningsdam
Nov. 19 2017
Thanksgiving at sea!
9 Princess cruises
14 Carnival cruises
4 HAL cruises

1 RCCL cruise
1 NCL cruise
Kent, Ohio
1,600 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
We were in 6143 with extra large balcony. No obstruction and plexiglass rail.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MARIANNE AND NORM
Central FL
8,752 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
The balconies with the steel railings are marked on the deck plans with a black diamond: 4001 to 4020. Everything else has plexiglas. The VH cabins from 4041 to 4167 are obstructed by lifeboats, and the downward view for V cabins from 5048 to 5171 is partially obstructed by the lifeboats. If you book a generic "balcony guarantee" you could be assigned any of these. We like to be up high, so usually choose a VE on deck 7 or 8.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol
Queen of Bermuda 4/65 * Carnival Festivale 1995 * AMSTERDAM Alaska 7/02 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 1/05 * WESTERDAM Baltic 9/05 * NOORDAM West Mediterranean 6/06 * VEENDAM Western Caribbean 12/06 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 4/07 * STATENDAM Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 * ZUIDERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/07 * AMSTERDAM Panama Canal transit 4/08 * EURODAM Bahamas 10/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/09 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 * RYNDAM Western Caribbean 12/10 * VEENDAM Bermuda 10/11 * MAASDAM Southern Caribbean 3/12 * PRINSENDAM TransAtlantic 5/13 * Disney Dream Bahamas 11/13 * EURODAM Viking Passage 8/14 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/14 * EURODAM Western Caribbean 11/15 * KONINGSDAM Bahamas 11/16 * OOSTERDAM Western Caribbean 12/16

1,876 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Thank you for the info! Very helpful. I think I'm going to take an assigned cabin, and not worry about a guarantee -- not just because of the railing, and the obstructed-view thing, but because we want to make sure we're in a nice quiet location.

catl331, that's very detailed, and very good, information! Thanks for taking the time to respond. That's exactly what I needed to know. Off to peruse the deck plans more closely...

Thanks y'all!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary Ellen

coming up:
HAL Koningsdam
Nov. 19 2017
Thanksgiving at sea!
9 Princess cruises
14 Carnival cruises
4 HAL cruises

1 RCCL cruise
1 NCL cruise
1,876 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by catl331
And check out the useful pictures on http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/
Very useful! Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary Ellen

coming up:
HAL Koningsdam
Nov. 19 2017
Thanksgiving at sea!
9 Princess cruises
14 Carnival cruises
4 HAL cruises

1 RCCL cruise
1 NCL cruise
Seattle, WA, USA
1,879 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
We loved our VB cabin aft on deck 4. Extra large (deep) balcony and they look directly down on the ocean with no lifeboats below.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
32 Previous Cruises
Last Cruise: 2/19/17 HAL Koningsdam - Caribbean
Next Cruise: 2/18/18 Disney Wonder - Caribbean
1,876 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Originally posted by catl331
And check out the useful pictures on http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/
catl331, thanks AGAIN for posting that link. I especially appreciate the pictures of the (awfu!) Promenade deck. I had no idea! I love a nice, shady Promenade deck with lounge chairs. The fact that it doesn't exist on the K has me rethinking my cruise choice. Thanks for the heads-up.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary Ellen

coming up:
HAL Koningsdam
Nov. 19 2017
Thanksgiving at sea!
9 Princess cruises
14 Carnival cruises
4 HAL cruises

1 RCCL cruise
1 NCL cruise
Seattle, WA, USA
1,879 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
We were initially concerned about the Promenade deck as well, but it ended up not being a big deal to us at all. Still was perfectly adequate for walking our laps which is all we used it for.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
32 Previous Cruises
Illinois USA
388 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
We booked 4154 and 4156 and they don’t seem to look down on life boats, hope they have plexiglass, first Hal cruise for us

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Michigan, USA
1,859 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
We were om 5053 and loved it. We did not expect the window by the side (not head) of the bed PLUS a doorwall out the balcony. It was a longer room, and the small sofa was by the doorwall in a little nook. While we were above the top of the lifeboats, we don't often look straight down. The balcony was longer than most. The balcony for 5051 was not only longer than average, it was deeper on one end than usual, too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nancy D.
5 Star at last on HAL, 1 each on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean
Massachusetts
4,597 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
I agree to stay away from a guarantee, book a specific cabin so you have no worries.

One thing I like to consider when I book a cabin is I like to have cabins above me and below me to help reduce any noise. I have done this on every cruise and have never been disappointed.

I am booked on the Koningsdam with my family and friends March 2019 and have chosen cabins on deck 6, port side, aft, this way we will have no obstructions, cabins above and below us and plexiglass on our balconies.

Enjoy your cruise.
North Central Florida
3,703 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Also on the Koningsdam [and the still building Nieuw Statendam] where the lifeboats are on the ship has them sticking out further than the previous ships. Regulations insist they be within a certain distance from the water. This puts them in a different location on the outside of the ship and causing them to stick out further. I think this is true of all the larger ships - not just HAL.

Even though I was not above the lifeboats [5023 - Gershwin deck] any water/gangway view toward the stern had lifeboats in the way.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carole

Cruising now: Nope/Nada!

Nieuw Amsterdam - 17-DAY BAHAMAS, E/W CARIBBEAN COLLECTOR HOLIDAY Dec 2017
Zaandam 23-DAY PANAMA CANAL Apr 2018
Rotterdam 7-day WESTERN CARIBBEAN, Jan 2018 [out of Tampa].
Maasdam 7-DAY CANADA & NE DISCOVERY June 2018

Past cruises:
Costa Flavia 1975 - 4 day Bahamas
Sarah - 2005 - 7 day Barge - W&S Netherlands [Road Scholar]
Maasdam Jan 2015 - 10 day Southern Caribbean B2B
Zuiderdam Jan 2015 - 10 day Southern Caribbean & Panama Canal Sunfarer [Road Scholar]
AmaCerto May 2015 - 14 day Amsterdam - Budapest [Road Scholar]
Brilliance otS Nov 2015 - 5 day Western Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 2015 - 7-day Western Caribbean;
Zuiderdam Dec 2015 14-day W/E Caribbean Holiday Collector
Oosterdam Jan 2016 21-day Southern Caribbean Seafarer/Wayfarer
Westerdam Mar 2016 21-day Panama Canal Fort Lauderdale to San Diego; B2B
Westerdam Apr 2016 35-day Circle Hawai`i, Tahiti & Marqueses: San Diego to Seattle [Road Scholar]
Prinsendam May 2016 16-day Azores and Normandy Explorer - FLL to IJmuiden [Amsterdam] Last HAL ship out
Avalon Tranquility II & Poetry II Jun 2016 16-day Rhine & Rhône Revealed/SB - Amsterdam to Côte d’Azur (Rhine, Saône & Rhône)
Queen Mary 2 June 2016 8-day Trans-Atlantic crossing Southampton - NYC
Zuiderdam Oct 2016 12-day The Atlantic Coast - Quebec City to FLL First HAL ship back
Amsterdam Dec 2016 14-day Panama Canal Holiday SD to FLL

Nieuw Amsterdam Jan 2017 21-Day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer/Seafarer
Koningsdam Feb 2017 7-DAY Eastern Caribbean
Oosterdam Mar 2017 7-Day Western Caribbean [out of Tampa]
Seattle, WA, USA
1,879 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by gizmodog
We booked 4154 and 4156 and they don’t seem to look down on life boats, hope they have plexiglass, first Hal cruise for us
Great choice. Those two cabins have extra large verandahs and clear Plexiglass railings. They also don't look down on lifeboats.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
32 Previous Cruises