Barcelona/Canary Islands/Spain

cookie38

We have only done Caribbean cruises...(30 years worth) :) and after a recent land trip to Europe (Czech Republic, Germany & Austria) we would like to explore a little more. I saw an amazing deal on a 11 day on the Spirit.

Barcelona (Spain); Casablanca (Morocco);Funchal (Madeira); Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Canary Islands); Las Palmas(Canary Islands); Granada (Malaga) (Spain); Alicante (Spain);Barcelona (Spain)

Does anyone have any input on this itinerary? Weather in mid-February? that may be key for me... don't want to be cold. Must do's at these ports, etc.

Thank you!!

Weatherwise it should be OK in February (like the previous poster said, mainland Spain cool and the rest of the itinerary "t-shirt weather", but just be aware that the Canary Islands (Tenerife and Gran Canaria) are just regular "resort destinations" where Europeans go for sun and beach, and not much else of interest to see there.... There is a reason this itinerary is usually cheaper than the Mediterranean cruises...

It is a good itinerary - loads to see in Barcelona, Granada has the Alhambra, Canary Islands are very scenic. I'm told (and have read experiences about) the seas can be quite rough at that time, and some cruises miss one or more of the canary islands because it is too stormy. But - that is a risk on every cruise and it certainly isn't every canary island cruise affected.

Just pack some seasickness pills.

We did this itinerary this year in February. The weather was definitely cool in 50s to 60s Most days. Low 70 in the Canaries. A beautiful itinerary. The Spanish coast is breathtaking. In Casablanca we did a tour through NCL of the Hassan II Mosque and taste of Morocco. It was AWESOME! Would not venture out on your own here and recommend a cruise line tour. The tour guide was knowledgeable and so professional. In the Canaries we did a tour to one of the resort towns , had time on our own and enjoyed a nice lunch. In Funchal we did the hop on hop off bus and saw many parts of Funchal.... enjoyed this port a lot! Great people and culture. In Granada we went to Gibraltar. Long bus ride but very much worth the trip to the rock. In Alicante, we toured the Santa Barbara Castle and explored the streets, enjoyed tapas and peopleople watched at the beach... My husband and I loved the Spirit. Definitely different experience than some of the other ships we have been on, but the staff and people we met were so great! Make sure you spend time in Barcelona before or after. Great City!

Edited by cruise06355

just be aware that the Canary Islands (Tenerife and Gran Canaria) are just regular "resort destinations" where Europeans go for sun and beach, and not much else of interest to see there...

Gran Canaria is a beautiful island with loads to see outside of the tourist resorts... I've been there many times.

We were in Spain last month- not on a cruise - but did highlight a few things we did in Barcelona in this trip report if it’s helpful. Was cool in May in the mornings but gorgeous afternoons. https://gotravellife.com/2018/05/27/spain-2018-part-1-barcelona-roses-cadaques-figueres-and-surrounding-areas/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have only done Caribbean cruises...(30 years worth) :) and after a recent land trip to Europe (Czech Republic, Germany & Austria) we would like to explore a little more. I saw an amazing deal on a 11 day on the Spirit.

Barcelona(Spain);Casablanca(Morocco);Funchal(Madeira);Santa Cruz de Tenerife(Canary Islands);Las Palmas(Canary Islands);Granada (Malaga)(Spain);Alicante(Spain);Barcelona(Spain)

Does anyone have any input on this itinerary? Weather in mid-February? that may be key for me... don't want to be cold. Must do's at these ports, etc.

Thank you!!

We did a similar cruise in 2012, since the price was excellent. We enjoyed it very much. Make sure you go to see the Alhambra in Granada. Go a few days early and take in Barcelona. Both the Canary Islands and Madeira are beautiful and be sure you explore the island, don't just stay in the ports. In Casablanca, go to Rabat or Marrakesh.

Here is my review of our cruise.

Spain, Canary Islands and Morocco

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80907