Best *DAM* cruise ever - Eurodam 12-19 August to Glacier Bay Alaska

Woodinville

Glad you had a great time on the Eurodam!

Really nice to live just a drive away from the port, unlike us who needs to fly most of the time.

We know what you mean Easyboy ... we normally fly in the night before and angst on making our departure flight ... wish they had more destinations out of Seattle :'):') leaving home at 1030 and being served lunch at 1230 we admit was amazing

Thank you! Sailing on the Eurodam to Hawaii 9/30 and so excited! Glad you are able to write in a few selections on the breakfast menu as I hear options have been cut back. Looking forward to many sea days. We are 20 minutes from the terminal so no flying either. Our past cruises on HA have all been wonderful so it is nice knowing you felt the same. Thank you so much for taking time to write the review. Shoreline, WA

Thank you for great review, we sail her on the same itinerary next Saturday. I'm curious, how did you know about the birthday info? Did you just observe others or were you celebrating?

I was on the same cruise. I also had a birthday and informed everyone we met, however, no birthday singing or anything....perhaps it's because it was the second night out and we didn't have a regular seating at the dining room. I did receive a card in my stateroom from the captain. That was it. Don't expect anything.

Thank you for great review, we sail her on the same itinerary next Saturday. I'm curious, how did you know about the birthday info? Did you just observe others or were you celebrating?

The guest services pulled it from the computer (I later learned) the Captain's card and phone call.

and my DS told a few people ... I confirmed that later when I forced the confession out of her.

In addition, when making reservation if you let them know that you are celebrating an Anniversary, Retirement, any special occasion, they will do their best to help you do so ... I know that other's mileage varies, but this has been our experience. A direct quote from a member of guest services "This is your vacation, we want it to be memorable"

---

Christopher

Edited by Woodinville
expanding answer

TxCruiser .. we know the feeling ... our next cruise is another on our bucket list .. Panama Canal transit ... should be fun! :D:D

Great review; thanks.

We sailed the Eurodam last April, Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle, 3 weeks. Great ship; probably our favorite so far (4 ships) in the HAL fleet. A bit disappointed that we didn't get to go through the new canal, but it is right next to the old one on the south (west) end, so at least we "saw" it. We were offered a last minute upgrade to a Neptune Suite, which we took, and of course it spoiled us.

Also disappointed that HAL doesn't seem to stop anywhere in Panama. We did visit Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Mexico (3 ports) before heading to San Diego, Victoria, and Vancouver. Pretty hot in Panama and that area - around 95 to 100 degrees. Lots of sun and warmth, getting us out of this yucky spring we had in the Pacific Northwest (we live in Mount Vernon).

We went to Ft. Lauderdale 3 days early and just sort of explored on our own, with a rental car. Almost tempted me to move there, but not quite. We found embarkation to be easy, and debarkation in Seattle went fast, like you said.

We're about to take the Noordam from Seward to Vancouver in a couple of weeks. Back to a Vista Suite for that cruise, which will be a big downer from the N.S. on the E-dam.

Al and Nona Carter

I was on the same cruise. I also had a birthday and informed everyone we met, however, no birthday singing or anything....perhaps it's because it was the second night out and we didn't have a regular seating at the dining room. I did receive a card in my stateroom from the captain. That was it. Don't expect anything.

That is a relief. I don't celebrate my birthday. I just prefer to pretend it doesn't happen - that way, I don't have to count it. A quirk, I suppose.

Great review; thanks.

We sailed the Eurodam last April, Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle, 3 weeks. Great ship; probably our favorite so far (4 ships) in the HAL fleet. A bit disappointed that we didn't get to go through the new canal, but it is right next to the old one on the south (west) end, so at least we "saw" it. We were offered a last minute upgrade to a Neptune Suite, which we took, and of course it spoiled us.

Also disappointed that HAL doesn't seem to stop anywhere in Panama. We did visit Nicaragua, Guatemala, and Mexico (3 ports) before heading to San Diego, Victoria, and Vancouver. Pretty hot in Panama and that area - around 95 to 100 degrees. Lots of sun and warmth, getting us out of this yucky spring we had in the Pacific Northwest (we live in Mount Vernon).

We went to Ft. Lauderdale 3 days early and just sort of explored on our own, with a rental car. Almost tempted me to move there, but not quite. We found embarkation to be easy, and debarkation in Seattle went fast, like you said.

We're about to take the Noordam from Seward to Vancouver in a couple of weeks. Back to a Vista Suite for that cruise, which will be a big downer from the N.S. on the E-dam.

Al and Nona Carter

Thanks for the great comments. Appreciated. Enjoy the September cruises to Alaska, while a bit more nippy are spectacular, and from Vancouver you get the Canadian inside passage which is wildlife heavy ...

We took our entire family on the Eurodam this past Summer, June 2017. I was extremely impressed. It's the largest "Dam" ship we've been on, and our entire family, from age 16 to 75 thoroughly enjoyed it. It definitely catered to the short-term, young crowd, but we also enjoyed it, as the grandparents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took our entire family on the Eurodam this past Summer, June 2017. I was extremely impressed. It's the largest "Dam" ship we've been on, and our entire family, from age 16 to 75 thoroughly enjoyed it. It definitely catered to the short-term, young crowd, but we also enjoyed it, as the grandparents.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are in the top end of that demographic :D:D Glad you had as much fun as we did

Enjoy!

That is a relief. I don't celebrate my birthday. I just prefer to pretend it doesn't happen - that way, I don't have to count it. A quirk, I suppose.

If I see you this weekend/next week, I'll be sure to wish you a Happy Birthday. Out loud, lol!

Edited by Herfnerd

Thank you for your great review Christopher. We are hoping to go May 12, 2018 on the Eurodam. We have cruised HAL before, but been 15 yrs ago, and Alaska 13 years ago. In our 60's, and decided we better enjoy some traveling while still young! Your review is one of the most descriptive and concise that I have ever read! Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

If this has been discussed, I do apologize. We want to pack light and I know I've read we can get a bag of laundry done for around $20.00 later in the week, right? Are there washers and dryers on the ship for us to use? If so, remember where they are? Thanks!

If this has been discussed, I do apologize. We want to pack light and I know I've read we can get a bag of laundry done for around $20.00 later in the week, right? Are there washers and dryers on the ship for us to use? If so, remember where they are? Thanks!

Hi CM1984 --- you are correct, they had two options available for those not in a suite or having the ultra-high Mariner status (then laundry is gratis). $20 all you can fit into one of their laundry bags or $49 (if my memory is correct) daily laundry.

Re machines, we know they exist, but have never seen them ... as the above worked for us.

The following is excerpted from the Holland America, Know Before You Go

Onboard self-service launderettes consisting ofwashers, dryers, irons and ironing boards are available on thems Amsterdam, ms Maasdam, ms Prinsendam, ms Rotterdam,and ms Veendam. There is a charge for the use of the self-servicelaunderettes and it is coin operated. Also, full laundry andvalet services are available on all of our ships.

Question for OP.. DH has a CPAP machine.. did you bring your own extension cord?? or was that supplied?? Much thanks!!

I tucked an extension cord into my carrying case. I did not need it as my cord was sufficiently long (though it was floating in the air) the electric outlet is ONLY near the desk.

They also have available, distilled water ... Holland charges $2.95 for a gallon.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! Sailing on the Eurodam to Hawaii 9/30 and so excited! Glad you are able to write in a few selections on the breakfast menu as I hear options have been cut back. Looking forward to many sea days. We are 20 minutes from the terminal so no flying either. Our past cruises on HA have all been wonderful so it is nice knowing you felt the same. Thank you so much for taking time to write the review. Shoreline, WA

I didn't get too fancy with my write-in's :cool::cool:

Added bacon on the side; or can you put mushrooms in that ham&cheese omelet?

EXTRA carafe of coffee .. stayed hot for about 3-4 hours, but was ready to run to the Lido and refill

Enjoy your cruise, and breakfast

Hi CM1984 --- you are correct, they had two options available for those not in a suite or having the ultra-high Mariner status (then laundry is gratis). $20 all you can fit into one of their laundry bags or $49 (if my memory is correct) daily laundry.

Re machines, we know they exist, but have never seen them ... as the above worked for us.

The following is excerpted from the Holland America, Know Before You Go

Onboard self-service launderettes consisting ofwashers, dryers, irons and ironing boards are available on thems Amsterdam, ms Maasdam, ms Prinsendam, ms Rotterdam,and ms Veendam. There is a charge for the use of the self-servicelaunderettes and it is coin operated. Also, full laundry andvalet services are available on all of our ships.

Thank you so much! That helps a lot! You are both :halo:'s.