Guarantee Cabin on Zaandam

jennaja

We received our cabin assignment on the Zaandam -- we booked less than 2 weeks before sailing, so all that was left were guarantee cabins. Anyone have any information on the pros and cons of cabin D3334?

Is it one of the cabins with the newly remodeled bathrooms and carpeting?

We booked an "f" oceanview guarantee. They only had guarantee cabins left, either total or partial obstruction, porthole, or unobstructed. The day after we booked, they were totally sold out.

Does anyone know if ours is one of the cabins that has the new bathrooms? Neither our travel agent or HAL could tell me.

There are pictures at http://halfacts.com/r-class/ for 3335, 3339, and 3341. We like Lower Promenade cabins. Only negative I see with 3334 is probably high foot traffic because it's so close to the atrium.

Is the foot traffic only outside of our door, or is there foot traffic going past our window? I checked out the photo of a nearby cabin from your link, and it looks like there are people outside the window?

Does anyone know if ours is one of the cabins that has the new bathrooms? Neither our travel agent or HAL could tell me.

Yes....the Lanai cabins have the new walk-in shower bathrooms.....:)

Is the foot traffic only outside of our door, or is there foot traffic going past our window? I checked out the photo of a nearby cabin from your link, and it looks like there are people outside the window?

You are on the walk-around deck, so yes, lots of pax out there, especially for viewing in Glacier Bay.

Inside, the washrooms are near, but not many use them on that deck. Pax have to get to their cabins aft of yours so there will be some foot traffic past your door.

This is a great location for getting out onto the deck!

Yes....the Lanai cabins have the new walk-in shower bathrooms.....:)

Is our cabin a "lanai" cabin? I don't know what that is. Will people be able to see into our cabin if we keep the curtains open? Does it have a door to the outside?

Is our cabin a "lanai" cabin? I don't know what that is. Will people be able to see into our cabin if we keep the curtains open? Does it have a door to the outside?

I don't think this is a lanai cabin. If it were, you would have a balcony-style door right onto the deck outside.

If it is dark outside and light in your cabin, then pax can see in. During the day, not unless they stick their nose right on your window and even then it is hard to see anything.

I do not see that D3334 is a Lanai cabin (a cabin with a door to the outside). D3334 is an Ocean View cabin with a window that looks over the walk-around deck. To see the water you will have to look across the walking deck outsdie your window. Access to the room is only form the inside hallway.

The location is good for access to the outside doors and near mid-ship for stability. It is not located under the galley which can be noisy, so that is good.

I've been in the location diagonally opposite the Atrium from this cabin and loved the location, very quiet, not much foot traffic in the hallway.

You will have people walking outside by your window while they use the walk-around deck but during the day they cannot see into your room - the mirror coating on the window does an excellent job. But at evening and nighttime when your cabin lights are on people would be able to see in, so close your window drapes. The stewards will make sure they are closed when they do turn-down service, but do make sure you close your curtains when getting dressed for dinner! Some people bring clothes-pins to hold the drapes closed especially to keep out the light form the deck lights that are on all night. Personally I wear an eye shade so that is not a problem for me, but the deck lighting leaking around the window curtains can be bothersome to some people.

These OV rooms have a short couch (more love-seat size) compared to other OVs, but for most people the convenience of access to the outside is a major plus.

Have a great cruise! m--

I do not see that D3334 is a Lanai cabin (a cabin with a door to the outside). D3334 is an Ocean View cabin with a window that looks over the walk-around deck. To see the water you will have to look across the walking deck outsdie your window. Access to the room is only form the inside hallway.

The location is good for access to the outside doors and near mid-ship for stability. It is not located under the galley which can be noisy, so that is good.

I've been in the location diagonally opposite the Atrium from this cabin and loved the location, very quiet, not much foot traffic in the hallway.

You will have people walking outside by your window while they use the walk-around deck but during the day they cannot see into your room - the mirror coating on the window does an excellent job. But at evening and nighttime when your cabin lights are on people would be able to see in, so close your window drapes. The stewards will make sure they are closed when they do turn-down service, but do make sure you close your curtains when getting dressed for dinner! Some people bring clothes-pins to hold the drapes closed especially to keep out the light form the deck lights that are on all night. Personally I wear an eye shade so that is not a problem for me, but the deck lighting leaking around the window curtains can be bothersome to some people.

These OV rooms have a short couch (more love-seat size) compared to other OVs, but for most people the convenience of access to the outside is a major plus.

Have a great cruise! m--

Excellent review!!

We booked an "f" oceanview guarantee. They only had guarantee cabins left, either total or partial obstruction, porthole, or unobstructed. The day after we booked, they were totally sold out.

Yes...your cabin should have the new bathroom with the walk-in glass shower and new carpeting. We just did a 23-day cruise on the Zaandam in April & May in cabin #3339. We were the first cruise after the drydock when the bathrooms were changed and got this notice from HAL:

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Zaandam that during the April 2018 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below staterooms will be updated to a shower-only configuration:

Lower Promenade Deck: D3331 - D3370

Main Deck: C2564 - C2647

Please note, this change does not affect all Ocean-view staterooms, only the

specific staterooms noted above. We thank you for your attention to this matter

and look forward to welcoming you on board.

We loved our cabin and the location. It was so handy to run outside on the promenade deck...it is like having a giant (but shared) balcony. No one can see inside your windows during the day, but you do have to keep the drapes closed at night for privacy. You will have to deal with them washing down the deck early at morning, but for the most part it didn't bother us. There will also be walkers going past your window during the day, but again....the benefits of the cabin location far outweighed the negatives for us. (We could tell the weather just by looking at how the walkers were dressed each day!)

Your cabin will be just a few steps from the atrium and the stairs leading up to guest services. My husband loved checking out the DVD's from guest services so the location was great for him.

I have some photos of our cabin on my blog if you want to see the room layout and new bathroom. Here is the link:

Zaandam 23-day Cruise (My Souvenir Memories Blog)

Yes...your cabin should have the new bathroom with the walk-in glass shower and new carpeting. We just did a 23-day cruise on the Zaandam in April & May in cabin #3339. We were the first cruise after the drydock when the bathrooms were changed and got this notice from HAL:

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Zaandam that during the April 2018 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below staterooms will be updated to a shower-only configuration:

Lower Promenade Deck: D3331 - D3370

Main Deck: C2564 - C2647

Please note, this change does not affect all Ocean-view staterooms, only the

specific staterooms noted above. We thank you for your attention to this matter

and look forward to welcoming you on board.

We loved our cabin and the location. It was so handy to run outside on the promenade deck...it is like having a giant (but shared) balcony. No one can see inside your windows during the day, but you do have to keep the drapes closed at night for privacy. You will have to deal with them washing down the deck early at morning, but for the most part it didn't bother us. There will also be walkers going past your window during the day, but again....the benefits of the cabin location far outweighed the negatives for us. (We could tell the weather just by looking at how the walkers were dressed each day!)

Your cabin will be just a few steps from the atrium and the stairs leading up to guest services. My husband loved checking out the DVD's from guest services so the location was great for him.

I have some photos of our cabin on my blog if you want to see the room layout and new bathroom. Here is the link:

Zaandam 23-day Cruise (My Souvenir Memories Blog)

Mary, I went in to your blog to check out the cabin pics, and ended up reading the entire blog! Sounds like a great trip, and I enjoyed both the information and your writing style.

Huge difference in the remodeled bathrooms!

Mary, I went in to your blog to check out the cabin pics, and ended up reading the entire blog! Sounds like a great trip, and I enjoyed both the information and your writing style.

Huge difference in the remodeled bathrooms!

Thanks! I am confident you will enjoy your cabin and it was a great upgrade for you!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Reading along: could be our story😊. Booked less than 2 weeks before, but booked an H guarantee instead. Our cabin assignment is 3342, so just down the hall from you. I am wondering how sounds from the outside will affect me, I hear everything (and can’t handle earplugs), unlike DH. First world problem - it’s a cruise, it’s going to be wonderful to be on another cruise!

I love the idea of the renovated shower, and I’m sure we’ll find the size of the cabin manageable, even if is somewhat smaller than OV’s we’ve had previously. We’re really looking forward to it, just one more week! And now to go read that blog, thanks for the link!

A "D" designation means it is not a lanai ... those are CA, and there are none on the Zaandam. You will have people passing your window but after a day or so you hardly notice them. They're just like a shadow crossing the window, and generally not noisy. The windows are silvered and it's hard for anyone to see in, day or night. However, you may get awakened early some mornings by the noise of water being sprayed on the window when the stewards wash them. Bring potato-chip bag clips to close the drapes tightly, as the deck lights are quite bright and stay on all night. We've had five Lower Prom cabins, so obviously we like the location! Edited by catl331

I was on Zaandam in April. Coastal repositioning cruise. First time I had ever booked guarantee cabin and inside at that. I Loved my cabin. It was kind of square, had new tv, was right off the elevators but I never heard them. It was great!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums