Help needed for a newbie to pick great cabin on Jade

Presto2

We are now 99.9% sure that we will be booking the 11 night Greek / Med cruise from Rome in August 2019. It is our 25th wedding anniversary and we are going to take a chance on NCL for the first time. The itinerary is perfect (in Sorrento where we honeymooned on our anniversary), we get to spend time in Rome and the ship looks a perfect size for us.

As it is a special occasion we are thinking of booking an aft Penthouse Suite on deck 9 or 10.

As we have never sailed on NCL before and have no idea about the ship / cabins / perks etc etc were are hoping that you NCL experts can give us advice re a really great aft cabin (or any great cabin anywhere for that matter). :D Similarly, are the suite perks worth it?

I am a sunflower and love the sunshine - hubby prefers the shade. We like a good balcony so that we can escape during the crowded sea days. We are happy to walk a long way to the cabin and are more than happy if it is quiet !

Many thanks to anyone who can help and we look forward to chatting more over the coming months as we research our cruise :)

The short answer is you can't really go wrong... we've done decks 9 and 10 in Aft Penthouse (SF). IIRC 10 is below the great outdoors and people get nervous about noise from above but I can say it didn't bother us. They are all great cabins!

The short answer is you can't really go wrong... we've done decks 9 and 10 in Aft Penthouse (SF). IIRC 10 is below the great outdoors and people get nervous about noise from above but I can say it didn't bother us. They are all great cabins!

Thanks for that :-) We had looked at deck 9 for that reason to be honest.

Did you find the suite perks worth it? Have to say, the price we have been quoted is very good for a suite as we never thought that we would be able to afford one on any ship.

Am I right that there are some eating venues just for suites?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains :-)

If you're going with aft facing suite choose deck 10 ..... balconies are much deeper than aft facing balconies on the other decks. You have staterooms above and below you. The Jade has sister ships Jewel, Gem and Pearl so when you are researching staterooms you can also look at those ships. Here are links to a short and a longer youtube video both done in 2017 that give a pretty good overall view of the Jade after her refreshment. If links aren't clickable please copy and paste into your browser.

Here is link to a blog post that shows lots of photos and information on Jade aft facing penthouse 10166. The colors/decor have since been updated but layout is the same.

http://magicofmiles.boardingarea.com/2015/06/29/magic-on-ncl-jade-cruise-review-of-penthouse-suite-10166/

Here is link to youtube video of 10166 done by same person

10664 and 10164 have a little wider view from the outermost side of their balconies. Here is an old youtube video of 10664 on sister ship NCL Jewel

Here are links to a couple youtube drone videos of the Jade. The first was done before the refurbishment, the second after. The second video has really good views of the forward facing suite balconies.

If you're going with aft facing suite choose deck 10 ..... balconies are much deeper than aft facing balconies on the other decks. You have staterooms above and below you. The Jade has sister ships Jewel, Gem and Pearl so when you are researching staterooms you can also look at those ships. Here are links to a short and a longer youtube video both done in 2017 that give a pretty good overall view of the Jade after her refreshment. If links aren't clickable please copy and paste into your browser.

Here is link to a blog post that shows lots of photos and information on Jade aft facing penthouse 10166. The colors/decor have since been updated but layout is the same.

http://magicofmiles.boardingarea.com/2015/06/29/magic-on-ncl-jade-cruise-review-of-penthouse-suite-10166/

Here is link to youtube video of 10166 done by same person

10664 and 10164 have a little wider view from the outermost side of their balconies. Here is an old youtube video of 10664 on sister ship NCL Jewel

Here are links to a couple youtube drone videos of the Jade. The first was done before the refurbishment, the second after. The second video has really good views of the forward facing suite balconies.

Wow, thanks so much - off to have a look now :-)

We've had forward facing and aft facing staterooms and like both locations. Forward facing is wonderful for going into ports. The forward facing penthouses are a little more expensive but there are a couple special ones on deck 10 - 10000 and 10500. Here is link to some great photos posted on Flicker of 10500 on sister ship Gem. We have 10500 booked on the Jade in April and can't wait. We love the extra room and light in the stateroom due to the bumpout. We had 9500 on the Pearl in Alaska for our 40th anniversary and although the balcony was huge much of it was uncovered and the stateroom itself felt dark. Saw 10500 on a cabin crawl and really wished we had it instead.

The Jewel class ships (including Jade) offer suite breakfast and lunch in Moderno. The breakfast is great and probably our favorite suite perk. There is a menu that does not change along with a very nice small buffet. It is a wonderful way to start the day. The lunch is good (again fixed menu) but we don't always eat lunch and we prefer the breakfast.

We've had forward facing and aft facing staterooms and like both locations. Forward facing is wonderful for going into ports. The forward facing penthouses are a little more expensive but there are a couple special ones on deck 10 - 10000 and 10500. Here is link to some great photos posted on Flicker of 10500 on sister ship Gem. We have 10500 booked on the Jade in April and can't wait. We love the extra room and light in the stateroom due to the bumpout. We had 9500 on the Pearl in Alaska for our 40th anniversary and although the balcony was huge much of it was uncovered and the stateroom itself felt dark. Saw 10500 on a cabin crawl and really wished we had it instead.

The Jewel class ships (including Jade) offer suite breakfast and lunch in Moderno. The breakfast is great and probably our favorite suite perk. There is a menu that does not change along with a very nice small buffet. It is a wonderful way to start the day. The lunch is good (again fixed menu) but we don't always eat lunch and we prefer the breakfast.

Hi Karen - have had a good look at these cabins. Just a bit worried that it might be windy at the front. In August we were on P&O Ventura right at the front (on the side) and the wind really spoiled the cruise for us as it wasn't only windy but it was cold. It was the Greek Islands too. Ironically we met someone who was in an aft cabin (our normal choice) and they had had a great cruise in the warm sunshine. (We were jealous!!!)

Do you find these balconies windy or does it depend on where you are?

Thanks so much for your help

:-)

Hi Karen - have had a good look at these cabins. Just a bit worried that it might be windy at the front. In August we were on P&O Ventura right at the front (on the side) and the wind really spoiled the cruise for us as it wasn't only windy but it was cold. It was the Greek Islands too. Ironically we met someone who was in an aft cabin (our normal choice) and they had had a great cruise in the warm sunshine. (We were jealous!!!)

Do you find these balconies windy or does it depend on where you are?

Thanks so much for your help

Our cruises with forward facing balconies were both in Alaska. One in May and one in September so not lay out on the balcony weather. Our upcoming cruise is in the Caribbean middle of April so figure it is a good time to try out 10500 forward facing. When we're at sea if the wind is too much we'll just enjoy the view through the big windows. We limit our sun intake so will enjoy the shade from the overhang from the bridge area but there should also be some shade on deck 10 stern. We really considered one of the aft facing on deck 10 because we love the aft view and those balconies are special.

Since you've had one bad experience with forward facing I would happily play it safe and chose deck 10 stern. Make friends at the suite breakfast with someone in forward facing suite and maybe you can exchange views. The Jade also has a very nice forward Observation Lounge as well as a forward viewing area on one of the upper decks. With deck 10 stern you won't have to worry about keeping drapes closed at night due to the bridge above.

We are on the 14 day Mediterranean cruise on the Jade October 2019 and there are only 3 aft facing suites left (one handicap). All of the deck 9 forward facing suites are available and only 10000 and 10500 are taken on deck 10. Aft facing is obviously more popular.

Our cruises with forward facing balconies were both in Alaska. One in May and one in September so not lay out on the balcony weather. Our upcoming cruise is in the Caribbean middle of April so figure it is a good time to try out 10500 forward facing. When we're at sea if the wind is too much we'll just enjoy the view through the big windows. We limit our sun intake so will enjoy the shade from the overhang from the bridge area but there should also be some shade on deck 10 stern. We really considered one of the aft facing on deck 10 because we love the aft view and those balconies are special.

Since you've had one bad experience with forward facing I would happily play it safe and chose deck 10 stern. Make friends at the suite breakfast with someone in forward facing suite and maybe you can exchange views. The Jade also has a very nice forward Observation Lounge as well as a forward viewing area on one of the upper decks. With deck 10 stern you won't have to worry about keeping drapes closed at night due to the bridge above.

We are on the 14 day Mediterranean cruise on the Jade October 2019 and there are only 3 aft facing suites left (one handicap). All of the deck 9 forward facing suites are available and only 10000 and 10500 are taken on deck 10. Aft facing is obviously more popular.

Thanks so much. Planning this 25th anniversary holiday has been a real headache and I can't tell you how much we appreciate your help on this one.

Re deck 10 - is it pretty open to people above looking down? Not too worried but when we book we want to know what to expect !

Have to smile - I love CC when fellow cruisers half way around the world take the time to just muck in to help. Thanks so much for taking the time for a newbie on the NCL thread ;)

PS Re the sunshine. We are from the UK. We hardly ever see the sun so when we go on holiday in the Summer we want to catch a glimpse!

Great is highly subjective.

Some like cabin near the elevators, others hate them.

Some love the higher decks some prefer lower.

Some prefer mid-ship, some prefer fore/aft.

IMHO the most important thing is to find a cabin you like that is available, then look at the decks one above and one below to make sure there are no high traffic or late night traffic area there.

Have done lots of cruises now and always follow this advice. We have never sailed with NCL before though and we find that on CC folk tend to have inside information about the best cabins to have on a certain ship. (We're in one in August with Celebrity as a result of some fab advice). The deck plans don't always tell you every thing.

Special anniversary - new cruise line, new ship and we want to make sure that we aren't making a mistake

Thanks so much. Planning this 25th anniversary holiday has been a real headache and I can't tell you how much we appreciate your help on this one.

Re deck 10 - is it pretty open to people above looking down? Not too worried but when we book we want to know what to expect !

Have to smile - I love CC when fellow cruisers half way around the world take the time to just muck in to help. Thanks so much for taking the time for a newbie on the NCL thread ;)

PS Re the sunshine. We are from the UK. We hardly ever see the sun so when we go on holiday in the Summer we want to catch a glimpse!

You are welcome. I've been a member of CC for a long time and am happy to pay forward some of what I've received. Understand about the sun - we live in Oregon and it used to rain a lot here.

Take a look at this video of sister ship Pearl sailing out of the port of Miami. Towards the end of the video there are some great close up shots of the stern. I think if you are standing towards the railing on a deck 10 aft facing balcony you could be seen from the deck 11 balconies above and from the rail of the Great Outdoors on deck 12. Much of the balcony is covered and in that section you wouldn't be seen from above. Sorry, looks like a copy and paste into browser link.

Happy Anniversary!

If you are going to get an aft-facing Penthouse on the Jade (or any of the other Jewel class ships), Deck 10 is THE way to go! We have sailed in 10666 on the Jade (in the Med!) and 10164 on the Gem. The balconies of the Deck 10 Penthouses are larger (deeper) than they are on the other decks. Also, Deck 10 is NOT under the Great Outdoors as someone posted above, it is under the cabins of Deck 11. We had no noise issues from above. And the Deck 10 balconies are not really open to people above looking down. Unless you are at the rail or close to it, you pretty much are not going to be seen. Don't let such concerns deter you from Deck 10.

We have also sailed in forward-facing Penthouse 10500 on the Jewel, for a full transit of the Panama Canal. I have to say, this suite was awesome. We loved the forward-facing view. Yes, when the ship is underway, it can be quite windy on the balcony. Some of that is mitigated when you are sitting down. There is the added bonus of near total darkness at night, because there are no lights on the bow. The star gazing was fantastic. Whether we'd pick a forward-facing suite again would depend on the itinerary, time of year, etc. It was definitely our "dream cabin" for the Canal.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Thanks again to both of you. I think we are going to go for deck 10 aft penthouse now :-)

All we need to do is find the ridiculously high deposit which is 20% in the UK and won't be refundable. :eek:

Thanks again everyone - getting excited now and we haven't even done this year's holidays yet !

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it also depends on time and what you want. If you want to limit walking a bit and you are on longer trips (way less kids). I have now travelled 6 times on deck 11 (or the deck below the pool/market garden) in the middle mostly in mini-suites. One stair up to the top deck. go down your in the middle of the ship quick access to most places. Biggest downside which doesn't really happen is sounds from the pool area but when on >11 day trips the deck is mostly empty past 23:00. Sometimes you can hear the crew put chairs down in the morning but pick room a little smartly and thats also not a big deal.

Just my 2cents, the warning not to book below this area at least on NCL and longer trips makes it they are available longer too. This is probably not a popular view but works for us.

Daniel.

Hello from Ohio. I have sailed in 10666 on Jade. The balcony is huge with both chairs/ table and lounger. Plenty of room and you can have sun and shade back there. We didn't hear any noise that kept us up. Cruising your itinerary it should be smooth sailing. We did 14 night cruise and the water was very calm the entire trip. You will have both a butler and concierge. The concierge can make you dining reservations, shore excursions, and your butler will serve meals in your cabin. My wife and her girlfriends had an afternoon tea served in our cabin. They deliver appetizers every afternoon; and you have a expresso machine in your cabin. You will have access to the steak house for breakfast every morning. This perk makes the suite worthwhile. They will make anything you want for breakfast and you can have lunch there on sea days. If you have any more questions let me know

Hello from Ohio. I have sailed in 10666 on Jade. The balcony is huge with both chairs/ table and lounger. Plenty of room and you can have sun and shade back there. We didn't hear any noise that kept us up. Cruising your itinerary it should be smooth sailing. We did 14 night cruise and the water was very calm the entire trip. You will have both a butler and concierge. The concierge can make you dining reservations, shore excursions, and your butler will serve meals in your cabin. My wife and her girlfriends had an afternoon tea served in our cabin. They deliver appetizers every afternoon; and you have a expresso machine in your cabin. You will have access to the steak house for breakfast every morning. This perk makes the suite worthwhile. They will make anything you want for breakfast and you can have lunch there on sea days. If you have any more questions let me know

Thanks to everyone for the continuing help :-)

Just to ask re a suite. Is the all inclusive drinks package included as well as any gratuities?

I think we could afford a suite if we weren't worrying about the end of cruise drinks bill and gratuities that soon adds up!

Thanks again for any help

What are the differences in perks with the haven and suites?

Gaabbee, On the Jade there is no Haven Restaurant; so you can have breakfast in the streak house every morning. Haven has it's own indoor pool and lounge area and an outdoor sun deck. Which is only avail to the Haven guests. We had booked a aft penthouse suite without haven access. Which was fine for us. We had expedited boarding, breakfast every morning in Cagney's steakhouse; butler who would bring in room breakfast and afternoon teas. He also left appetizers every afternoon. Also priority off the ship for shore excursions. The concierge was also available all the time to help with dining reservations, shore excursions, etc

Thanks to everyone for the continuing help :-)

Just to ask re a suite. Is the all inclusive drinks package included as well as any gratuities?

I think we could afford a suite if we weren't worrying about the end of cruise drinks bill and gratuities that soon adds up!

Thanks again for any help

What you ask about drink package and tips; I suspect that may be a special promotion run by NCL. When we booked Jade we received some other benefits but not the one you mention. I do see they have several options listed on their website; so my suggestion is pick the best benefits and go for it

What you ask about drink package and tips; I suspect that may be a special promotion run by NCL. When we booked Jade we received some other benefits but not the one you mention. I do see they have several options listed on their website; so my suggestion is pick the best benefits and go for it

I just wish that they didn't want such a huge deposit ! At the moment they want about £1,400 --- a lot for a deposit as in the UK you don't get it back if you cancel.

I just wish that they didn't want such a huge deposit ! At the moment they want about £1,400 --- a lot for a deposit as in the UK you don't get it back if you cancel.

wow that is pretty steep by any standards. I guess that's why we buy trip insurance in case we do need to cancel.