Cruising with baby on Disney Dream

adamrosie

My husband, 1 year old, and I are so excited to be cruising on the Disney Dream in a couple weeks! What should we do/know?

We’ve already booked a pack and play for the cabin, a high chair at Dinner, and the maximum of 10 hours in the nursery. A few more questions:

1) are we missing anything glaringly obvious?

2) does Disney provide diaper pails? How do dirty diapers work?

3) what’s the availability of baby food? Or getting food mushed up? Our baby’s not picky but we are hoping to keep food simple- scrambled eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, mushed veggies and pasta for lunch and dinner, etc.

4) how flexible is the nursery? We are looking forward to getting a break! Can we add more than the 10 hours we signed up for online?

5) Any not to be missed activities specifically geared for babies/ young toddlers? We’re excited about the splash pool area

6) are high chairs readily available at all eating locations? We have a portable “perch” highchair but I’d prefer not to bring it

7) anything else?!?! Thanks all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2. Request a diaper genie from your stateroom host. He will empty it twice daily.

3. DCL does not supply any baby food, but you can bring your own. They will, however, do special preparations of anything you wish--veges with no seasonings that they will puree for you, scrambled eggs, etc. The bottom line is that you need to let your server know what you want and they will prepare it for you--easiest if you give them a day of notice, but they will make it happen on the first night as well. Breakfast is easy--scrambled eggs are available in the dining room or on the buffet. Lunch is just a little more tricky, but let them know as soon as you are seated or go thru the buffet--they will prepare it and bring it to you.

4.Nursery tries to be very flexible. If you find that they hours you signed up for won't work, they will let you change. On the second day, if they have space available, they will usually allow you to add more hours. The idea of limiting to 10 in advance is to allow everyone with nursery age kids to get some hours before anyone can grab a lot. However, adding more depends on how many nursery age kids are on the ship.

6. DCL has tons of high chairs, and a server will rapidly get you one as soon as they spot your infant. No need to bring your own.

7. You can take your child into the Oceaneer's Club during "open house" hours but you must stay and supervise the entire time. The only kids in the space during open house are those who have a supervising adult with them.

My husband, 1 year old, and I are so excited to be cruising on the Disney Dream in a couple weeks! What should we do/know?

We’ve already booked a pack and play for the cabin, a high chair at Dinner, and the maximum of 10 hours in the nursery. A few more questions:

1) are we missing anything glaringly obvious?

2) does Disney provide diaper pails? How do dirty diapers work?

3) what’s the availability of baby food? Or getting food mushed up? Our baby’s not picky but we are hoping to keep food simple- scrambled eggs and oatmeal for breakfast, mushed veggies and pasta for lunch and dinner, etc.

4) how flexible is the nursery? We are looking forward to getting a break! Can we add more than the 10 hours we signed up for online?

5) Any not to be missed activities specifically geared for babies/ young toddlers? We’re excited about the splash pool area

6) are high chairs readily available at all eating locations? We have a portable “perch” highchair but I’d prefer not to bring it

7) anything else?!?! Thanks all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1) Can't think of anything.

2)Yes, there are diaper pails. Your room host will empty them (I think it's twice a day).

3)I believe they MIGHT have actual baby food in the gift shop (but it'll cost more than at home). They will puree foods for you, just ask you dining room server. There's scrambled eggs and oatmeal (or cream of wheat, sometimes grits) at every breakfast.

4)You can add additional hours in the nursery once onboard, depending on availability.

5)Be sure to check the daily Navigator for toddler activities.

6)Yes, there are high chairs. While possible that they may be in short supply, if you go to eat during peak times, there might be a slight delay in getting one from another location.

7)Yes, have a great cruise, and relax.

We did one in November with a 1 year old (her birthday was on embarkation day). The previous posters covered all of your answers. I assume you know that your child can't go into any of the pools unless they are not in diapers. Swim diapers included. We used the splash zone for our granddaughter. There is a small pool in below the adult area that says no diapers but the only people in it were babies and no one said anything. The irony of no babies in the pool is that when we were there, they had to close one of the main pools because someone not wearing diapers (not an infant) "went" in the pool.

The "no one in diapers in the pools" is a USPH regulation. DCL is simply following the regulation. The infant splash areas have a separate water and sanitation system. The splash area that is part of Satellite Falls does not have this system and thus the "No Diapers" sign

We did a 3 day cruise on the Dream in '14 with my 2.5 yr old and my 9 month old, and we loved it, so I think you made a good choice. I don't know how you feel about eating late vs eating early, but we got the 2nd seating, and our girls slept in the stroller at the restaurant. We liked this because they got to see the show, and we could give them a something to eat before the show. One night out of the 3 nights my 2 yr old made it to her meal. So I would recommend bringing a stroller (I'm sure you are) and utilizing that, plus you will save money and hours at the nursery. After dinner we would wheel our reclining double stroller to the nursery, and then have some grown up time. We told them just to leave them in the stroller, and we were able to just wheel them back a few hours later without waking them. We elected to stay on the boat at Nassau and went to Castaway Cay. I'm not sure what your itinerary is, but I would not skip Castaway Cay.

• 2 weeks later...

7. You can take your child into the Oceaneer's Club during "open house" hours but you must stay and supervise the entire time. The only kids in the space during open house are those who have a supervising adult with them.

Can you also take an older child with you into the Club during Open House hours?

Also, can a grandparent take a grandchild/grandchildren in there then?

Open house hours are open to anyone, with or without a child. There is no check in or check out. Anyone can come in with your child and anyone can leave with your child. The only thing that they do watch is that a young child must enter and leave with an adult, and that adult is expected to supervise the child while in the space.

This is a time when adults without kids can come in and enjoy the facility (trust me, I've seen plenty of adult males enjoying Marvel Academy). Teens are also welcome.

On long cruises, they've actually had "adult time in the club" where for a couple of hours, usually in the evening, there were no kids present!

Open house hours are open to anyone' date=' with or without a child. There is no check in or check out. Anyone can come in with your child and anyone can leave with your child. The only thing that they do watch is that a young child must enter and leave with an adult, and that adult is expected to supervise the child while in the space.

This is a time when adults without kids can come in and enjoy the facility (trust me, I've seen plenty of adult males enjoying Marvel Academy). Teens are also welcome.

On long cruises, they've actually had "adult time in the club" where for a couple of hours, usually in the evening, there were no kids present!

So, if parents want to enjoy a quiet dinner or an evening activity , where would their children (age 3 and over) go during the hours that the club is open for adults only?

So, if parents want to enjoy a quiet dinner or an evening activity , where would their children (age 3 and over) go during the hours that the club is open for adults only?

When Oceaneer's Club is on Open House, Oceaneer's Lab is secured programming. And vice versa. Both the Club & Lab are not on Open House at the same time.

Another question for you experienced cruisers - in the evening is there somewhere in either of the kid's clubs where a quiet space is available for children who might want to lay down and watch a movie or take a little "rest"?

(Sorry OP for highjacking!!! )

Another question for you experienced cruisers - in the evening is there somewhere in either of the kid's clubs where a quiet space is available for children who might want to lay down and watch a movie or take a little "rest"?

(Sorry OP for highjacking!!! )

Each night they put on a movie and get out sleep mats--kids can sit or lie down on the mats. Those who fall asleep can be easily pulled out of the traffic area without waking them, and when parents come to get them can either be awakened or carried to their beds still asleep. No child is required to watch the movie or be in the quiet area, but it is available.

To answer another question above, when the OC is on "open house," all kids who are signed into the programming are moved to the lab area and vice versa. One area is always available for "secure programming" (meaning kids who are signed in). The kids are moved before the open house time starts--kids in secure programming are not in contact with the open house group at all.

Each night they put on a movie and get out sleep mats--kids can sit or lie down on the mats. Those who fall asleep can be easily pulled out of the traffic area without waking them' date=' and when parents come to get them can either be awakened or carried to their beds still asleep. No child is required to watch the movie or be in the quiet area, but it is available.

To answer another question above, when the OC is on "open house," all kids who are signed into the programming are moved to the lab area and vice versa. One area is always available for "secure programming" (meaning kids who are signed in). The kids are moved before the open house time starts--kids in secure programming are not in contact with the open house group at all.[/quote']

Thanks!

You've been a HUGE help with advice.

I hope I can return the favor someday!:)