Price Drops - How Often?

bowen9475

Once you have booked a cruise, how often do you check for price drops? I am tempted to check each morning and each evening.:p We have been lucky on most of our past cruises to get some amount of OBC due to price drops. If the price does drop, how long on average would the lower price be available? Thanks for your input :)

Once you have booked a cruise, how often do you check for price drops? I am tempted to check each morning and each evening.:p We have been lucky on most of our past cruises to get some amount of OBC due to price drops. If the price does drop, how long on average would the lower price be available? Thanks for your input :)

It varies, depending on slowly or quickly cabins are being booked. A price drop might only be in effect for two or three days, or it might last for a week.

I have a dilemma. I have $50 OBC due to a price drop. There is now another drop of $42 but I lose the $50 OBC. What would you do?

I don't understand why you would lose the $50 OBC from a price drop?

If it was part of the booking promotion, yes. (you price matched to an offer that had $50 as part of the promotion)

But I agree, why trade $42 or $50?

I have a dilemma. I have $50 OBC due to a price drop. There is now another drop of $42 but I lose the $50 OBC. What would you do?

So, if you apply for the $42.00 price drop, you'll be giving $8.00 back to Carnival. I wouldn't call that a "dilemma". I'd call it a bad decision.

How often I check depends on how close the price is to what I paid. If all it has done is increased I don't check as often. If it has started a downward trend I check more often. If it is anywhere near my price point I check at least twice a day. My experience has been the price drop can last as short as a few hours.

Humm, a dilemma ? ..... they must use a different type of math in Maryland than the math I learned.

Wait, isn’t Washington, DC adjacent to Maryland ? Ah, that explains it. :eek:

I don't understand why you would lose the $50 OBC from a price drop?

If it was part of the booking promotion, yes. (you price matched to an offer that had $50 as part of the promotion)

But I agree, why trade $42 or $50?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you do lose promotional OBC when you price match. This is on the Price Protection request form: If a promotional onboard credit was included as part of your current fare please keep in mind that by adjusting to the lower fare the onboard credit will be forfeited.

i use a web page called cruise fish. if monitors it for me and emails me when there is a drop for my cabin class.

If you’re going to spend the OBC, I’d stick with it. If you’re in a situation where you prepaid a bunch of stuff and you may not use it. Or You have a bunch of OBC and may not use it all, I’d consider trading the OBC for cash.

Just for FYI purposes, we got price drops on our last 2 cruises. However, this one WE havent found any. I know that several others from this sailing have gotten some drops. The difference this year is we have a 4th person with us. Or, maybe our cabin/deck config didnt drop.... i guess we'll try next year ;)

I do a quick check daily ever since last year when there was a $100 price drop that appeared for one day.. I called and the Carnival rep even said what a great deal it was! an algorithm snafu or a stroke of luck? worked for me!

Two weeks ago I got a $357 price drop on our cruise in July. I noticed it had been going down so I finally called Carnival. Based on my figures it was around $300 for a similar room or same price for a balcony cabin. When I called the rep did some research and found if we stayed in the same room we'd save $357 and for $100 less than our cruise price we could get a balcony. While the balcony was tempting, I went for the bigger savings with our same room.