Big ship sceptic sails Oasis 3/29/14 review

We just got off the Oasis and had a terrific cruise. We were very skeptical about cruising on the Oasis since we prefer smaller ships. We have only been on one Voyager class ship and have never sailed on the Freedom class. We like the Radiance class. We are in our early 60’s and one point away from Diamond plus. I was concerned about sailing with 6,000+ passengers, long lines and not being able to get on an elevator.

All the reviews I read, and there were many of them, said these things were not a problem. They said that it seemed less crowded than smaller ships, that you waited very little to get on board and that the elevators weren’t a problem. Much to my surprise they were all right, as a matter of fact we never had much of a wait for an elevator. Most times we were the only people in the elevator even when disembarking. One big concern was the Windjammer since we enjoy breakfast and lunch there and most reports said it was too small. This too was not a problem. Yes it was a bit crowded at times but certainly no more than any other ship we have been on. The bottom line is that the Oasis is an absolutely amazing ship. I wrote the rest of the review while on the ship so I wouldn’t forget anything.

We left home at 8:30 for the 3 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale. We arrived at the Park and Go at 11:45 and there were a lot of cars and shuttle busses. The attendant asked us which ship we were on and told us to pull up to the canopy and unload our luggage. A shuttle driver came to the car and told us which bus was going to the Oasis. We took our luggage to the shuttle and the driver put it on board. Since the shuttle was now full it was only a few minutes before we left for the ship. We took a round about way there bypassing the long port security lines. Once at the ship the driver took off our luggage and we handed it to a ship porter. We love using Park and Go they make getting to the ship so easy and cost much less than parking at the terminal.

We were right at the entrance to the terminal so we walked in. There are two ways to go depending on which deck your stateroom is on. We were on deck 10 so we needed to go left. This is where you and your carry ons go through security. There were about 4 lanes with short lines which took about 5 minutes. We had two 2 liter bottles of soda which were checked and deemed OK. Last time we put them in our checked luggage and they were sent to the naughty room so we had to go retrieve them. It was much easier to bring them in our carry on luggage. After security you go to the check in area. Again you must find the line corresponding to your deck number. We found the line for deck 10 and the line for deck 10 priority check in. There was no one in line so we walked to the front and waited a minute for a check in person to be ready for us. We handed her our paper work and she got our sea pass cards. She also took our picture for the cards which was great because this eliminated a line on other cruise lines. After checking in we went up the escalators and on to the ship. There were no more lines! Someone binged us onto the ship and we were there. It took us 35 minutes from driving into Park and Go and walking onto the ship. I had read over and over that check in was fast and easy but I was skeptical. I don’t know why ships with half as many passengers can’t make it so easy.

When you enter the ship you are in the Royal Promenade on deck 5. We wanted to eat so we found which elevators would take us to the Windjammer. There were only a few people waiting for an elevator so we got on one right away and the elevator was large enough for our carry on luggage. This also amazed me. On almost every cruise we have been on it is terrible trying to get on an elevator on embarkation day. So far things were going very well. At 12:25 the Windjammer had only a short line to get in. We were sent to find a table in the back and had no trouble walking through, passing all the food stations and checking them out as we passed. DH stayed with the luggage at the table while I went to find a bathroom and get food. I really liked how the food stations were set up. Food was on all four sides and very easy to get. There were no lines as there were only about 2-3 food items on each side. I also thought what I had to eat was pretty good. At one the announcement was made that the staterooms were ready.

We dropped our luggage at our room and proceeded to explore the ship. Our room was on deck 10 near the front elevators. We always try to get a room near the elevators as it really cuts down the amount of walking. Also If we need to get to the other end of the ship we would go to a deck with the Promenade or Central park and walk to the other end. It made it seem not as far as walking down a hallway with all staterooms. We had a great time walking around and checking everything out. I bet we walked a few miles doing this. When we got back to our stateroom our luggage was there and we started to unpack. Our stateroom attendant stopped by to introduce himself and ask if we needed anything. We told him we needed ice and would like it twice a day. Our TA always requests an eggcrate topper for us and it was already on the bed. It is the thickest eggcrate I have ever seen and it is real comfy.

The lifeboat drill was pretty painless. Our lifeboat station is the theater on deck 5. You just watch a video and the captain makes an announcement. We went to deck 14 forward on the top of the bridge for sail away. There were two other RC ships, 2 Princess and 1 HAL ships.

After sail away we went to dinner in the main dining room. We have My Time and the wait with no reservations at 6:15 was about 5 minutes. We were at a table for 8 and the service was slow. Actually once we started to get food it went fairly quickly. But it took almost an hour before we got the first course. We made it out of the dining room in time to see Frozen in Time, the ice skating show, at 8:30. We had reservations but there were plenty of empty seats. We really enjoyed the show. It was lively and very colorful. It’s hard to believe what they can do on such a small ice rink.

We are on the western route so our first day, Sunday, is a sea day. We went to breakfast in the Windjammer a little after 9 and there was no line. It was pretty crowded but there were tables in the back. When we left at around 10 there was a long line to get in. We went to the M & G at 11:15 in Dazzles. It was a bit disappointing. A member of the activities staff was there and quickly did the raffle and thanked everyone for coming then left. It was nice meeting people but I guess I expected a bit more. There was coffee and a few Danish set up at the bar.

After the M & G we stopped at Park Café and got a roast beef sandwich and salad and took it back to our room and ate on our balcony. The salads are very large and they have a lot of things to put in them. We just chilled out the rest of the day.It was formal night so we got to the MDR early at 6 and had no wait for a table for two. Service was quicker and dinner took only a little over an hour.

Since we booked this cruise only 2 months ahead we were unable to get any reservations for tonight. So after dinner we went to the large aft balcony on deck 11 to watch the show in the Aqua theater. This was a very interesting place to watch the show. You could see all the movement in the pool. I’m not sure there was a story to the show. Everything was interesting but I’m not sure how it all went together. Still it was enjoyable and there were a lot of different things going on. We took a walk through the Promenade and things were hopping. It was pretty crowded in most places. We then went to Central Park where it was much quieter and listened to the guitar player for a while.

Our first port was Labadee and we arrived at 8 AM. We went to the Windjammer at around 9 and there was plenty of room. We headed off the ship to the gangway on deck 2. You take the elevator to deck 3 and then ride an escalator to deck 2. At this time, about 10, we just walked right off. It was a beautiful day and we walked around to see all the beaches. All the beaches were crowded and there isn’t really anywhere to get away from all the people like at Cocco Cay. We found two lounges in the shade and had a nice day. We left our camera on the ship so we went back to the ship for lunch.

After lunch and getting our camera we took the shuttle to Columbus beach. Many people were heading back to the beach at that time and the shuttle would fill up at Columbus beach, the last stop, and no one at the other beaches could get on the shuttle when it stopped. People were getting on the shuttle going to Columbus beach and just stay on and take it back. We planned on walking back taking pictures of the beaches. This was the first time on this cruise where it felt like there were 6000 people on the ship. There was no problem getting back on the ship. We went through security before getting on the pier and there were enough security machines to keep things going. No long lines to get onto the ship. That’s hard to believe with all those people on the beaches. They do manage the crowds well.

We had the Crown and Anchor sail away party on the hili pad at 4:30. On this cruise Platinum and above were invited. The Captain, cruise director and many officers were there. There was plenty of champagne to go around.

We went to dinner at about 6:15 at MT. There was no line when we got there but there were no tables left. We were sent down to the traditional dining room on deck 3 where we had a table for 4 for just the two of us. Dinner was served pretty quickly and we were finished by 7:30. We had no shows scheduled for tonight so we just wandered around. The Love and Marriage show was at 10:30. The longest married couple were married for 70 years and they won. They were given a tanzanite necklace as their prize among other things. I’ve never seen that before. Maybe bigger ship bigger prize?

Tuesday was Falmouth Jamaica. We went to the Windjammer at 9 and there was a bit of a line but we were shown a table pretty quickly. By the time we finished breakfast we were pulling into Falmouth. The ship turns around and backs in. We watched from behind the flowriders. The back of the ship is very close to land. We planned to go to the beach but when we got off we realized that it was too windy to enjoy the beach so we returned to the ship and put our beach stuff back in our cabin. We landed up just walking around Falmouth. We ate in the Windjammer and took a nap. We went back out to walk through the shops at the port. There is a Margaretville with a nice pool. The port has an all day Wifi card for $10.

We went to dinner at 6 and had no wait for a table for 2. We didn’t leave port until 7 so the dining room wasn’t full. We went to see “Throw me a line” in studio B at 9:30. It was sure different and we enjoyed it. After that we went to see the headliner show in the Opal Theater, Earl Turner, at 10:30. The theater was only about half full so we had no trouble finding a seat. Earl is a singer entertainer and was pretty good. Not the best that we have seen on a cruise ship but certainly entertaining.

Wednesday is a sea day. We spent a lazy day today just relaxing and walking around the ship. There are several places on the ship to get away from everyone. The front of deck 14 above the bridge had loungers and is quiet as long as the wind isn’t bad. Today there was some shade and almost no wind. Also on the jogging track at the rear there are some chairs where you can sit watching the waves. You are much closer to the water so you feel like you’re on a ship in the ocean and not a resort. It was formal night so we went to dinner early. We found a waiter we liked and have been sitting in his area at a table for two. After dinner we went to the “ songs with color” trivia and then to the 50’s 60’s rock and roll party in Dazzles.

Thursday we arrived in Cozumel at 8:00. We are on ship time so in Cozumel it was only 6:00AM. We didn’t hurry to get up or off the ship. We got off at 10 and rented a car from Alamo. We made a reservation on line for $35 including the mandatory insurance. We made the reservation for the Puerta Maya Pier but we were able to get the car at the International Pier. We were going to go snorkeling at Punta Sur National Park but when we got there it was too windy for snorkeling. We drove along the east side stopping at a few places to take pictures and walk along the beach. The surf was really up so it was really beautiful. We stopped at our favorite ocean front restaurant, Playa Bonita, for lunch. After lunch we stopped at Playa Palencar but with the wind and rough surf it didn’t look appealing. We just headed back to the ship. There was a bit of a line to get through security, with the scanners, before entering the pier. The line moved quickly as there were plenty of scanners.

After dropping off our stuff and getting a cold drink we went back to the port area and did some shopping. I bought some 100% vanilla and just looked at the jewelry. When we were ready to go back to the ship the line was really long so we decided to just shop a little more. About 15 minutes later the line was much better. The Serenade was also at the pier with us so her passengers were also going through security. We went to dinner at 6 and there was no line and we were able to get a table for 2 with our preferred waiter.

Tonight’s show was Come Fly with Me. I was only able to get reservations for the 10:30 show but we had no trouble getting a seat at the 8:30 show. We arrived at 8:25 and easily found a pretty good seat in the balcony. It was a very good show with many different things going on. After the show we took a walk on deck 16 and went up to the Gold card holders deck which is open for anyone at night. This is where the cigar bar is at night. It was very windy. This was the first night we felt the movement of the ship.

Friday was a sea day. We again went to breakfast at around 9 and there was no wait but when we left the line was rather long. They were making announcements to please vacate the table when you were finished eating. I dressed this morning so I could go on the zip line with tied shoes. The line wasn’t long so I got the gear on and went on the zip line. It wasn’t as thrilling as I thought but that might be because I didn’t look down. It only takes a few seconds to ride to the other side. The zip line goes across the Boardwalk area.

At 1 we went to the captain’s corner in the Opal theater. I always find this meet with the captain very informative. Captain Patrik Dahlgren has done a lot of work with developing the Quantum. He will be leaving the Oasis next week to go to work on the coming out of the Quantum. He will be her captain in November when she sails. At 2:15 we had the Diamond back stage tour. There were only 8 of us so we had a great tour. The head of the technology dept gave the tour. At 3 was Splish Splash, the comedy aqua show, but it was canceled because there was a new cast that had just come on board and they weren’t ready to perform the show yet. We did get to watch some of the rehearsal but it was in the sun and hot.

We had another excellent meal in the dining room with great service. The meals have been very good. We usually don’t eat every night in the main dining room but this cruise we really enjoyed eating there. Most nights we were able to get a table for two around 6:00. After dinner we went to the family comedy show in the Opal Theater. We never made it to any of the adult comedy shows as I couldn’t get tickets for any show other than the 11:59 show. It is such a small venue that you had to have reservations.

Saturday - time to get off the ship. We had #9 which was supposed to depart at 8:00. The we went to the Windjammer at 7:15 and it wasn’t crowded. After breakfast we got our luggage from our room and proceeded to the theater. Unfortunately there was a problem with immigration and people didn’t start leaving the ship until 8:30 which backed everything up. At 9 they called for anyone with an early flight. We left to get off at 9:35 and it took an hour in line to get out of the terminal. It was the first time on the cruise that we had any kind of problem with a long wait. It was just too bad it was at the very end. It’s not a good way to end a cruise.

It was a fantastic cruise otherwise and we had a great time. I do wish it had a better itinerary and one more port. RC has really got it down pat with moving that amount of people. I feel you don’t get a real cruise experience since the Oasis is more like a floating resort than a cruise ship. Not that it’s a bad thing because we did have a great time.

I will be adding pictures and comments on the different areas of the ship in the next few days.

Edited by Eileen G

Thanks for posting the review, looking forward to the pictures. We too thought we would never go on such a big ship, but we booked for next month. Hopefully we will have good luck as you did, except for the debarkation- we have a 10:35 flight so we will do our own walk off and hope customs is friendly..

Bev

One quick question - we will be driving down from Orlando to Port Everglades in May. Did you take the turnpike? If you did, is there an exit that says Port Everglades? Thank you.

We took the Turnpike to Jupiter then switched over to 95 to save a little on the tolls. You get off either road at 595 which will take you right to the port entrance. You just go past the airport and stay on 595 until it ends.

We took the Turnpike to Jupiter then switched over to 95 to save a little on the tolls. You get off either road at 595 which will take you right to the port entrance. You just go past the airport and stay on 595 until it ends.

Thanks. I know we have plenty of time for the drive and have done it before but . . . We have someone in our party who is always running late and asks for lots of restroom stops. :D

Thanks for the review. We are cruising with my whole family and my dad is not a "big ship" guy either... My mom hasn't broken the news yet that we are on the Oasis. :) From everything I've read, he will be pleasantly surprised.

Movies: There were 3 venues where movies were shown: the Aqua Theater, Opal Theater and Adventure Ocean Theater. This list is what was shown on the March 29th cruise.

Day 1: 8:30PM “Frozen” Aqua Theater and 11:30PM “Thor the Dark World” in 3D 11:30PM Opal Theater

Day 2: 12:15PM “Wreck it Ralph” Adventure Ocean Theater, 5:15PM “Barbie Mariposa and the Fairy Princess” AOT and 6:00 “Mr. Peabody & Sherman” in 3D Opal Theater.

Day 3: 12:15 “The Croods” AOT, 5:15PM “Planes” AOT, 6:15 “Croods” 3D Opal T

Day 4: 12:15PM “Despicable Me2” AOT, 5:15PM “Free Birds” AOT

Day 5: 12:15PM “Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs2” OAT, 1:30PM “Turbo” in 3D Opal, 9:00PM “Smurfs2” Aqua, 10:30PM Gravity in 3D Opal

Day 6: 12:15PM “Smurfs2” OAT, 4:30PM “Turbo” in 3D Opal, 8:15PM “The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug” Aqua

Day 7: 12:15PM “Monsters University” AOT, 5:15PM “Barbie the Pearl Princess” AOT, 8:15 “Frozen” Aqua

I will post some pictures of different sections of the ship.

1964780_10201030562441247_2002646156_n.jpg

Looking over Boardwalk out to the Aqua theater.

10151344_10201030562641252_438533435_n.jpg

Windjammer and Central Park

1378601_10201030562761255_1019738411_n.jpg

This was taken at sun set. During the sea days the pools never seemed very crowded like on some ships we have been on.

10007449_10201030572001486_690045292_n.jpg

This is the sports pool where there was water aerobics at 9 every morning. They also played water volleyball here.

10156032_10201030563361270_1986290621_n.jpg

The kiddie pool area with hot tub, pool and whirl pool. This also never seemed very crowded.

10009878_10201030563641277_98650442_n.jpg

The beach pool. These lounge chairs were the first to be "saved" each day. There are so many lounges every where that looked to be good to me so if you don't need to be at the pool side it wasn't a problem.

10173559_10201030564041287_447369065_n.jpg

Central Park with the pools on either side. Central Park could get a bit hot in the middle of the day. It was very pleasant at night. If we needed to go from one end of the ship to the other we would often walk through here.

The next few pictures are of the Solarium, the adults only area. The solarium is forward of the forward elevators so no one need to walk through it to get to the other side of the ship like on some ships. I never saw any children in there. It is two levels.

10155990_10201030581321719_223553115_n.jpg

1509128_10201030581401721_926563102_n.jpg

1526410_10201030582201741_1120074172_n.jpg

The Solarium pool looks small but once you get in there is plenty of room.

more pictures of the children's area This was a spring break week with many large multi generational families. This picture was taken in the middle of the day and I don't think I ever saw it any more crowded than this.

10177232_10201030591641977_1635655251_n.jpg

10009837_10201030592081988_1874054200_n.jpg

Thank you for the review. DH and I are going on Oasis in June, we are taking our DS, 30, and DDIL, 29, with us so that's why we chose this ship as there is so much to do. I am hesitant about being on such a large ship and so your review is encouraging.

The kiddie pool area with hot tub, pool and whirl pool. This also never seemed very crowded.

The beach pool. These lounge chairs were the first to be "saved" each day. There are so many lounges every where that looked to be good to me so if you don't need to be at the pool side it wasn't a problem.

10173559_10201030564041287_447369065_n.jpg

Central Park with the pools on either side. Central Park could get a bit hot in the middle of the day. It was very pleasant at night. If we needed to go from one end of the ship to the other we would often walk through here.

Great review- Is this picture facing the front of the ship? I am trying to locate our upcoming CP room Thanks

Edit- I think this pic is facing aft- Our room is more towards the front of CP

Edited by molly361

Great review- Is this picture facing the front of the ship? I am trying to locate our upcoming CP room Thanks

Edit- I think this pic is facing aft- Our room is more towards the front of CP

This picture is facing the front of the ship. Where is your cabin and I will see if I have a better picture of it?

here are some pictures of the Windjammer

10171100_10201030591361970_1737945837_n.jpg

10013322_10201030592001986_1343460546_n.jpg

10177400_10201030592602001_1669397914_n.jpg

10151207_10201030592361995_1733216701_n.jpg

The food was OK. I could always find something good to eat. They have fresh fried eggs in the side station which are over medium. They will cook them hard if you ask. The biscuits with the gravy at breakfast are always hard so we would have them with the croissants and extra sausage. My favorite was the waffles with strawberries and whipped cream.

There are two flow riders at the back of the ship. One for surf boarding and the other for body surfing.

10151344_10201030592882008_1676956327_n.jpg

10151260_10201030593042012_942986096_n.jpg

10155986_10201030593362020_1951129470_n.jpg

The zip line goes across the Boardwalk area and is free.

10151151_10201030608882408_382792137_n.jpg

There are two rock climbing walls by the Aqua Theater. You can see the screen where the outdoor movies are shown.

Edited by Eileen G