Boston 2018

They tried to have Boston as a seasonal port (split from New York) a couple of years back and they could not sell the ship. My bet is if they do this, it will be along the same lines as last time and I really doubt it will be to Bermuda.

It seems like the cruises from Boston are ALWAYS expensive. You can get good deals everywhere else it seems....but not Boston. Unless you go on the first one in April or in October. They could probably sell the ship if they went to some place tropical and at a good price. That's all I ask....hehe

I had questioned John Heald about this last year and he told me that the reason they left Boston was because of new much stricter environmental requirements. He also attributed the higher cruise prices in Boston to higher Port and operating costs in general.

He did tell me that management frequently discusses bringing back a ship or alternating between Boston and another port during the Summer/Fall season.

I'm guessing that the 2nd option is more likely. I just hope they have at least 10-15 sail dates for 2018 as we would love to have the opportunity to take flying out of the equation.

I hope this info is true!

hey maybe the jays will beat the red sox today lol!!! Everything good comes from canada, sidney crosby comes from the east coast, great actors/ musicians so there's lots of desire to come to canada.

Sent from my iphone using forums mobile app

like !

Edited by Kel040

I had questioned John Heald about this last year and he told me that the reason they left Boston was because of new much stricter environmental requirements. He also attributed the higher cruise prices in Boston to higher Port and operating costs in general.

He did tell me that management frequently discusses bringing back a ship or alternating between Boston and another port during the Summer/Fall season.

I'm guessing that the 2nd option is more likely. I just hope they have at least 10-15 sail dates for 2018 as we would love to have the opportunity to take flying out of the equation.

We did the Carnival Glory 3 years ago I think...it was actually one of our cheapest cruises ever....booked early saver..and ended up with several hundred in OBC...we had an Outside...cruised in June...I don't think they could fill up the ship..... I can see my family...and possibly cruise with a few of them out of Boston..and I would love to see more of Canada...I would love to see a Carnival ship out of Boston again!!

We did the Carnival Glory 3 years ago I think...it was actually one of our cheapest cruises ever....booked early saver..and ended up with several hundred in OBC...we had an Outside...cruised in June...I don't think they could fill up the ship..... I can see my family...and possibly cruise with a few of them out of Boston..and I would love to see more of Canada...I would love to see a Carnival ship out of Boston again!!

We have cruised out of Boston twice when the Glory was here. We also found them to be less expensive for us. One reason was lack of air fare. Getting from Maine to a ship can be a real pain and very expensive!

We treated 5 other family members on one of them!!! :p

But a Boston to Bermuda cruise would be so tempting since we only live 30 mins north of Boston!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would do that in a hot minute. I've done Boston to Bermuda three times on NCL but would much rather sail Carnival. :D

My sisters and I went on the Glory out of Boston a couple of years ago and it was the most inexpensive cruise I have been on during the summer. We actually flew there and the big plus was the history and exploring Boston, after the cruise. Thanks to the person who posted this I had not heard they were bringing a cruise back but am so glad to know they are.

As to the same number of ships in the same fleet: back to my original post. When you compare what we have in North America "today" - Vista plus Vista 2 = 2 new ships by 2018. But, Mobile is getting the Fantasy full-time and 2 ships are going to China. By my math there will be one less ship in North America.

Your math is off because Carnival has only announced that one ship is going to China from the North American market.

Edited by jasong38501

John Heald just mentioned on a live feed from his garden to be on the lookout for Boston home cruise port in 2018. That would be exciting! Flights are so expensive and we can drive to Boston. We actually took a 4 day Canadian cruise out of Boston in 2013 and while just one (rainy, foggy) port in Canada wasn't that thrilling, the best part about the whole thing was being able to drive and see the Carnival funnel! I wonder if it would only be Canada cruises or if they'd do Bermuda.

That is great. I was wondering when they would return.

They tried to have Boston as a seasonal port (split from New York) a couple of years back and they could not sell the ship. My bet is if they do this, it will be along the same lines as last time and I really doubt it will be to Bermuda.

Actually this is NOT the reason that carnival didn't come back to Boston, the cruises sold just find. It was the fact that they needed to have scrubbers on the ship by a certain date to be able to come up here. They are VERY expensive to add (new ships come with them) so they chose not to come back to Boston. I work at the Boston cruise port and worked with Carnival when they were here. Love cruising with them.... working with them... not so much LOL (and I don't mean the CREW members)

Actually this is NOT the reason that carnival didn't come back to Boston, the cruises sold just find. It was the fact that they needed to have scrubbers on the ship by a certain date to be able to come up here. They are VERY expensive to add (new ships come with them) so they chose not to come back to Boston. I work at the Boston cruise port and worked with Carnival when they were here. Love cruising with them.... working with them... not so much LOL (and I don't mean the CREW members)
:)

The same reason they pulled out of Baltimore for months in 2014. All environmental and dollars.

We sailed twice from Boston and believe me that ship was hopping!

I agree with other posters, bringing Carnival back to Boston would be great as I live about 5 minutes from the cruise port! That said, I really hope they look into the Bermuda route from here as I do not have interest in doing Canada/New England. I think in order to sell well in Boston, Bermuda would be great and they should consider some Caribbean from here as well.

I agree with other posters, bringing Carnival back to Boston would be great as I live about 5 minutes from the cruise port! That said, I really hope they look into the Bermuda route from here as I do not have interest in doing Canada/New England. I think in order to sell well in Boston, Bermuda would be great and they should consider some Caribbean from here as well.

It's going to be VERY hard for CCL to get a spot to sail to in Bermuda. There are only 2 berthing spots there and NCL has them pretty much taken with the Breakway out of NYC and the Dawn out of Boston (plus the occasional sailings from other cruise lines). In order to get to the Caribbean (not the Bahamas) would probably take a minimum of 10 nights (it's a LONG way) and long voyages like that are hard to fill. It would be nice to have CCL back in Boston, but logistically, I can't figure out where they could sail to besides Canada and keep it reasonably priced and profitable for CCL.

same here.... I would also like a shorter cruise when I get my cruise shakes

It's going to be VERY hard for CCL to get a spot to sail to in Bermuda. There are only 2 berthing spots there and NCL has them pretty much taken with the Breakway out of NYC and the Dawn out of Boston (plus the occasional sailings from other cruise lines). In order to get to the Caribbean (not the Bahamas) would probably take a minimum of 10 nights (it's a LONG way) and long voyages like that are hard to fill. It would be nice to have CCL back in Boston, but logistically, I can't figure out where they could sail to besides Canada and keep it reasonably priced and profitable for CCL.

Nautical miles to St Thomas is 1472 from Boston

NYC to St Thomas is 1416.

Plug in a lot of ports. The distance is not that much greater for some.

We did a 7 night to St Thomas, San Juan, and Tortola out of NY on the Legend in 2003. They can create numerous itineraries that would not require 10 days sailing from Boston.

I would like to see something totally different. Now an Iceland 10 day cruise would be marvelous!! :D

Nautical miles to St Thomas is 1472 from Boston

NYC to St Thomas is 1416.

Plug in a lot of ports. The distance is not that much greater for some.

We did a 7 night to St Thomas, San Juan, and Tortola out of NY on the Legend in 2003. They can create numerous itineraries that would not require 10 days sailing from Boston.

I would like to see something totally different. Now an Iceland 10 day cruise would be marvelous!! :D

If it is 1472 nautical miles from Boston to St. Thomas and you figure an average speed of 20 miles per hour, it would take ~ 73 hours or ~3 days to get to St. Thomas. You would get to spend one day there and then have to head home in order to keep it to a 7 nt. cruise. I'm not sure how they managed the itinerary you did in 2003, but they must have been REALLY COOKING !!!

If it is 1472 nautical miles from Boston to St. Thomas and you figure an average speed of 20 miles per hour, it would take ~ 73 hours or ~3 days to get to St. Thomas. You would get to spend one day there and then have to head home in order to keep it to a 7 nt. cruise. I'm not sure how they managed the itinerary you did in 2003, but they must have been REALLY COOKING !!!

DH tells me it was 8 nights. :) Still visited 3 ports.

Sailed at 4pm. First night. 2 sea days. Nights 2 and 3. 3 days for ports. Nights 4,5,6. And 2 sea days back. Nights 7, 8. One of the better cruises. I love sea days!

Ships do not travel in miles per hour. Ships speed is slightly faster in knots per hour versus miles per hour. Just a few hours difference but I wasn't sailing the ship.

I can show you pictures if you need them.

Ships sail from NYC all the time. Sunshine has an 8 day visiting 3 ports Eastern currently available. :D

Ships do not travel in miles per hour. Ships speed is slightly faster in knots per hour versus miles per hour.

average speed for a ship is about 20-22 knots which is only about 23 to 25 miles per hour. Going this kind of speed burns up a lot of fuel fast,so they scale back the speed to 15-18 knots (about 17-20 miles per hour).

Edited by shof515

average speed for a ship is about 20-22 knots which is only about 23 to 25 miles per hour. Going this kind of speed burns up a lot of fuel fast,so they scale back the speed to 15-18 knots (about 17-20 miles per hour).

And your point is what? I said it is only a few miles difference. Nothing was talked about how fast the ship traveled to the Caribbean and there was no discussion of fuel costs. Are you saying that it did not happen? Or that the itinerary currently offered by Carnival is fake? Please explain.

Did you find a report detailing her speed during this trip?

Why do people feel the need to post things so ambiguous that has nothing to do with the post they quote?

Please include the whole post so people can have a perspective on the discussion.

Legend went to Caribbean.

She sailed from NYC.

There were 3 ports visited.

It was 8 days

Sunshine also travels to Caribbean on 8 day itineraries 3 ports visited.

We were not discussing fuel costs nor how fast they travel just the fact that they went and currently go.

Maybe they sprout wings in the middle of the night and fly! :rolleyes:

We did the Legend from NYC in 2006 and the iternerary was as follows :

Day 1: Embarkation.

Day 2: At Sea.

Day 3: At Sea.

Day 4: San Juan.

Day 5: St Thomas.

Day 6: Totola BVI.

Day 7: At Sea.

Day 8: At Sea.

It was my favorite cruise! Would do it again in a heartbeat from Boston.

And your point is what? I said it is only a few miles difference. Nothing was talked about how fast the ship traveled to the Caribbean and there was no discussion of fuel costs. Are you saying that it did not happen? Or that the itinerary currently offered by Carnival is fake? Please explain.

Did you find a report detailing her speed during this trip?

Why do people feel the need to post things so ambiguous that has nothing to do with the post they quote?

Please include the whole post so people can have a perspective on the discussion.

Legend went to Caribbean.

She sailed from NYC.

There were 3 ports visited.

It was 8 days

Sunshine also travels to Caribbean on 8 day itineraries 3 ports visited.

We were not discussing fuel costs nor how fast they travel just the fact that they went and currently go.

Maybe they sprout wings in the middle of the night and fly! :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone was disputing your statement about doing a 3 port, 8 nt. cruise from NY. They are simply stating that the ship would have to do 20-22 knots continuously in order for it to happen and that that type of speed would use up a TON of fuel (not to mention increased wear and tear on the ship). In this day and age, there are very few cruise lines willing to eat additional fuel and upkeep costs. Some of them are even modifying itineraries to increase fuel efficiency.