Boston 2018

My girlfriend and I snagged a 5 day out of Boston back in June 2013 for $25 per person. It was a last minute deal and it was right after the triumph fiasco when Carnival was paying people to get on their ships.... I loved it! :)

Both Glory and Splendor did Boston in different years. Carnival is pretty conservative when it comes to blazing new trails for ports. There is much work in doing so. They did stop in Iceland, but that was when the Legend was returning from a season in Northern Europe. Heck, I would love to go there on a cruise.

Carnival is profitable and they stay that way (in their view) by staying in their comfort zone. If you look at their Caribbean sailings, many (one could say the vast majority) go to the same ports. They have begun to stretch that some with the Journey cruises, but it is slow and usually done in soft booking times of years.

I am trying to level set people with what I think are reasonable expectations. I am a big Carnival fan, but just think they will get dramatic in terms of variety (esp in Bermuda as some have mentioned the slots are limited). Hope I am wrong ....

This is news to me. I have worked at the Boston port for 9 years. The Carnival Glory was the only Carnival ship that sailed OUT of Boston. The Splendor sailed out of NY and stopped in Boston as a port of call day. Again, sales were NOT soft and the only reason they stopped sailing from Boston was because of the scrubbers.

I'm guessing Shof515 is correct is guessing they may take some cruises away from the New York summer ship (Sunshine or whatever it is in 2018) and sent some cruises to Boston.

That's what they did with the Glory................they alternated the Canada cruises between Boston & NY.

• 4 months later...
Looking at Carnival's website for summer 2018 the Ecstasy and Sunshine do not have a schedule yet. Do you think one of them will be assigned to Boston a that time?

Yeah it's been like that since Thursday. All of the ships have come out for Summer 2018 but those two (not that I'm a Carnival dot com stalker or anything:D). I'm hoping it means something good for Boston.

Yeah it's been like that since Thursday. All of the ships have come out for Summer 2018 but those two (not that I'm a Carnival dot com stalker or anything:D). I'm hoping it means something good for Boston.

....and you might have forgotten a new ship.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking at Carnival's website for summer 2018 the Ecstasy and Sunshine do not have a schedule yet. Do you think one of them will be assigned to Boston a that time?

Wouldn't the smart money be on Sunshine coming back to NYC in 2018 ?

Edited by NYcruzzer

Wouldn't the smart money be on Sunshine coming back to NYC in 2018 ?

I am hoping for the Horizon or some other new ship. NCL has their new Norwegian Escape in NYC for 2018, will be nice if there was a new carnival ship that carnival can compete with.

I also would be thrilled if Carnival came to Boston! We sailed on NCL to Bermuda in 2012 and the convenience for us was fantastic. 45 minute drive, park in the garage and walk across the street to the port.

I'm in central NH and I too would love a Carnival ship in Boston. I've done the NCL to Bermuda three times and so easy plus no airfare. :cool:

I know HAL is owned by Carnival. HAL presently offers cruises one way between Boston and Montreal. I have looked at those, as we are an hour from Montreal. Their schedules are not out for 2018. What are the chances they might take over some of these routes?

While owned by the same parent, these two lines represent both a different market and routes and itineraries. They both have their niche in the overall market scheme of Carnival and I doubt Carnival would take over HAL routes (at least per se). Lastly, most of the Carnival ships are larger and "may" have issues getting down to Montreal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

I would LOVE to see a Carnival ship sailing from Boston! However, we just book NCL in 2018 out of Boston! Our first time cruising out of Boston (nice and close to home) and first time on NCL. We are soooo looking forward to it! I wish I would have read this thread sooner, maybe I would have held out hopes for Carnival!

I asked on John Heald's Facebook page: Months ago you said there would be sailings out of Boston in 2018, Any update?

His response: Nothing yet and I will ask the beards again and let you know. Thanks.

Thank you for the news[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On another note there is also a strong rumor that Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas will be coming to the Northeast in the Summer 2018. If you feel like something new it may be an option.

I would definitely be up for something new if the price was right. We've been kinda eyeing Royal, but Carnival always has such a great price. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Lol. But my coworker (she's a travel agent) said it might be nice for me to "jump ship" so I can compare lines.

I would definitely be up for something new if the price was right. We've been kinda eyeing Royal, but Carnival always has such a great price. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Lol. But my coworker (she's a travel agent) said it might be nice for me to "jump ship" so I can compare lines.

We sail both lines. To be honest, Royal is a little bit fancier, dining room service and atmosphere slightly a step up(food now about the same), and ship amenities slightly more variety(rock climbing wall, flowrider, and ice skating rinks. Carnival on the other hand a few more free options like Guys burgers and Blue Iguana. Entertainment Carnival has a comedian and solo guitarist every night(something Royal doesn't). Atmosphere is more lax not quite as fancy(still very good as I will book w them again).

I find the kids clubs amenities almost identical. Specialty restaurants just about the same. Cabins very similar with exception of maybe some of the higher end suites. Cabin steward's service was pretty much the same as Royal.

I recommend you give it a shot. We enjoy both lines.

We sail both lines. To be honest, Royal is a little bit fancier, dining room service and atmosphere slightly a step up(food now about the same), and ship amenities slightly more variety(rock climbing wall, flowrider, and ice skating rinks. Carnival on the other hand a few more free options like Guys burgers and Blue Iguana. Entertainment Carnival has a comedian and solo guitarist every night(something Royal doesn't). Atmosphere is more lax not quite as fancy(still very good as I will book w them again).

I find the kids clubs amenities almost identical. Specialty restaurants just about the same. Cabins very similar with exception of maybe some of the higher end suites. Cabin steward's service was pretty much the same as Royal.

I recommend you give it a shot. We enjoy both lines.

Thanks for the comparison!