Glacier bay with princess cruises question

JP-Cruise

Hello, this coming summer I’ll be on an Alaska cruise with Princess and going to glacier bay which I’m very excited about and looking forward too.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if peincsss ships have small boats that take passengers closer to the glaciers?

Also did anyone see a lot of whales in glacier bay? Anybody see any breaching?

You will be all viewing Glacier Bay from the ship but you will see a lot from the ship. No small boats will be deployed.

I've not seen Whales. Not sure if others have.

Hopefully if the weather is nice you will see lots of beautiful scenery.

Keith

You would need to book a small cruise line like Un-Cruise to kayak in Glacier Bay. These lines cost $$$$ but are a once in a life time experience.

Glacier Bay is very restricted to large cruise ships. Only 2 are allowed per day. Park Rangers will board the ship and it is usually a stunning day. You will not leave the ship that day.

You would need to book a small cruise line like Un-Cruise to kayak in Glacier Bay. These lines cost $$$$ but are a once in a life time experience.

Glacier Bay is very restricted to large cruise ships. Only 2 are allowed per day. Park Rangers will board the ship and it is usually a stunning day. You will not leave the ship that day.

Okay thanks coral. Wow, only 2 ships per day.

In July 2017, we went to Alaska for three weeks. We had three Glacier Bay opportunities on the itineraries. Sadly, we only saw one whale in Glacier Bay. The good news was the one whale breached for us so we were happy.

You’re more likely to see humpbacks near the entrance of Glacier Bay. The Pt Adolphus area is a known humpback feeding area. I’m up at least an hour before entering the bay in search of them with good success. Once while exiting the bay we were surrounded by humpbacks.

We did the Alaska cruise on Golden Princess on a month of May. We viewed the Glacier Bay from the open decks where we could also hear the talk by the Park Rangers on the PA System. We did see some whales from a distance but outside the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You’re more likely to see humpbacks near the entrance of Glacier Bay. The Pt Adolphus area is a known humpback feeding area. I’m up at least an hour before entering the bay in search of them with good success. Once while exiting the bay we were surrounded by humpbacks.

Thanks everyone for your info. Glaciers, that’s what I plan to do, be our early prior to entering the bay to see if I can spot any humpbacks. Last summer I was in icy strait point. I didn’t see too many whales when I was there, so hopefully I’ll get lucky this time. So you think being out one hour prior to entering the bay is a good idea? Or maybe 2 hours prior?