Carnival didn't change our ports

sweets2323

Carnival did not change our ports.... but I thought those islands were in bad condition.

In January we're going to Grand Turks, Puerto Rico, St. Marteen and St. Kitts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't complain or you'll get stuck with Nassau like us instead of Puerto Rico. lol anyway they said the islands should be ready to go by January. Enjoy your cruise!!

Carnival did not change our ports.... but I thought those islands were in bad condition.

I think you missed the memo: https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx

Carnival figures all of those ports should be ready to visit by the time of your cruise in January; therefore, no changes are necessary.

if anything and you do end up going to St Marteen, St. Kitts and San Juan, SHOP ALL you can. Spend some money with local vendors so they can earn some money and keep repairing their homes and shops. These residents depend on tourist money to survive.

They say they will be open by then.

I can't speak for the other two but I was just at St Kitts and San Juan in the last two weeks. St Kitts is business as usual, we saw barely any damage. San Juan isn't fully restored but Old San Juan does have some businesses open as does the nearby Condado. By January, I think that Old San Juan will be even better, there isn't a lot of damage in OSJ, just the lack of power but several places have generators and I would think they will have power restored by January.

I also think the best thing we can do for those islands is to spend lots of money. We who cruise are so blessed I believe it is a good opportunity for us to give a little back. I know some of the islands may not provide the paradise we are used to, but I am sure with the right attitude we can still have a wonderful time.

Don't complain or you'll get stuck with Nassau like us instead of Puerto Rico. lol anyway they said the islands should be ready to go by January. Enjoy your cruise!!

Right, that is one port that I would stay on the ship! [emoji23][emoji23]

I also think the best thing we can do for those islands is to spend lots of money. We who cruise are so blessed I believe it is a good opportunity for us to give a little back. I know some of the islands may not provide the paradise we are used to, but I am sure with the right attitude we can still have a wonderful time.

Personally, I think the "best thing we can do" is work with the relief effort -- several agencies are desperate for volunteers to go to Puerto Rico and USVI to help. Everyone was right there willing to help when when Maria first hit -- those of us that went to PR on day one are burnt out and have come back home. The news headlines have gone away and so have those that can help.

There is so much to do -- not just restore the cruise ports. "Lots of money" spent by a cruise passenger is not the answer to helping with long term recovery as there is so much devastation -- in fact it isn't even close to the answer.

Glad to hear that as we are going to the same ports in April aboard Carnival Sunshine

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Remember, just because Carnival goes to an island, it doesn't mean the island is actually a good place to visit.

The minimum standards that Carnival has will be met. That's why you will be there.

Yes, Yes, Yes

That’s why we cancelled our January cruise going to San Juan and St. Maarten. Sure, there might be some shops in the port area open, but that doesn’t mean that tourist sites and attractions will be up and running. I think it’s disingenuous for cruiselines to include these ports on their itineraries when they will have so little available for guests.

I understand that cruisers spending their money does not help in many ways, but in some ways it does and for many of us it is the only thing we can do beside making donations here to help with the humanitarian effort. All I was trying to say was that if we do cruise to the affected islands we had best not be tight with our money. We benefit from their wonderful islands, we should also be willing to help them when needed. And yes I have given very specifically to the relief effort going on on one of the affected islands.

There is so much to do -- not just restore the cruise ports. "Lots of money" spent by a cruise passenger is not the answer to helping with long term recovery as there is so much devastation -- in fact it isn't even close to the answer.
True, though we're really getting off the topic. The reason that the cruise line is returning to these ports is because both they and the ports have determined that they're ready for cruise passengers. Of course, reasonable people can disagree, but that's why the cruise lines set forth the terms and conditions that they do: so that they get to determine (in consultation with their partners, the countries at which they make port) the itinerary. Every decision is a balancing act between what is sufficient value to deliver to passengers, what would deliver sufficient profit to the enterprise, what are the risks to the enterprise and what other opportunities are being passed up.

Yes, Yes, Yes

That’s why we cancelled our January cruise going to San Juan and St. Maarten. Sure, there might be some shops in the port area open, but that doesn’t mean that tourist sites and attractions will be up and running. I think it’s disingenuous for cruiselines to include these ports on their itineraries when they will have so little available for guests.

I think you will be surprised how quick those islands and attractions are back to full service. Places like that get back up and running faster than those that get here in the US because tourism is their livelihood. We have cruised for many years, and the week after Thanksgiving is always one of our preferred times and we have visited islands right mere weeks after a hurricane has come through and you would never had known there was a hurricane other than some damage here and there. Things were open and operational every time.

Yes, Yes, Yes

Did you lose money when you cancelled because I was thinking of changing my cruise.

Remember, just because Carnival goes to an island, it doesn't mean the island is actually a good place to visit.

The minimum standards that Carnival has will be met. That's why you will be there.

That is true of any cruise line. The question becomes if Carnival or any other cruise line skips some of these ports where do they stop instead?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Forums mobile app