self disembark luggage check?

luckyinpa

I've only ever been in NYC so this may not apply anywhere else.

i did self assist off NCL and you carry all your stuff with you and you have the option to get a porter once you get into the terminal and this puts you at the front of the customs line. but thats pretty much the honor system from what i gathered. dont even remember seeing dogs sniffing.

but while i was doing all this i realized no one really checks your luggage. so got me to wondering do they scan the luggage that doesnt get 'self disembarked'. my guess is no

not that i can think of a real reason why they should do it, just that they didnt. most i can think of is you smuggled some food off or perhaps some towels. and presumably your scan when you got back on in ports would reveal anything naughty.

this is my silly thought of the day.

A couple of years ago we did self disembark at Port Everglades. The agent with a dog was standing at the end of the ramp and the doggie sniffed each of us as we passed by.

I would assume a dog does a run through of the luggage hall before passengers get there.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

At any time, Immigration and Customs can do more or less as they determine. That may be based on the ship's itinerary or a random time to show what they can do just to have you tell your friends that you were looked at. They also will do an intense search of a random person just to watch how everyone in line is reacting. Why did they do or not do it this time or that? Because it's Tuesday or whatever other day of the week. Self disembarking doesn't change what they do that day. If they were checking the luggage as it was stacked in the pickup location, they will likely check anyone who avoided that area. Realistically, it has always been that way.