NCL Sun? Deals for free drinks?

ccnwater

Hello. Have never sailed NCL before and looking at a few sail dates on the Sun in March. Seems there is a deal where you get free unlimited bar? Also can someone tell me what the tips are per person, per day? Have a message to my travel agent for a price and answers....But know that Cruise Critic peeps are quicker to answer :).

Hello. Have never sailed NCL before and looking at a few sail dates on the Sun in March. Seems there is a deal where you get free unlimited bar? Also can someone tell me what the tips are per person, per day? Have a message to my travel agent for a price and answers....But know that Cruise Critic peeps are quicker to answer :).

NCL price is $89 per person per day for drinks up to $15. If you get the ubp as a booking perk, you will pay a 20% gratuity or service charge on the price of the ubp. That is $17.80 per person per day for the length of the cruise.

If you order drinks that are priced over $15, you pay the difference plus the 20%.

Thank you. So basically if we took the free drinks as part of the free at sea, we are not saving much. Being the sailaway deals 499.00 balcony room, then buy the package. for drinks 89.00 per person per day.....or the 599.00 balcony but includes the free at sea drinks and specialty rest. Sorry, I am used to Royal, just seems this is a little more involved! so the gratuity are 17.00 a person a day (for housekeeping, wait staff, etc)?

In March the Sun will still be under Norwegians free at sea promotion, but sailaway rates do not have the perks. (She's moving to Canaveral in May and will be all inclusive, drinks wise, like the Sky is then and there will be no service charge for drinks.)

If you select a fare that has a perk and select either the beverage package or dinner package the service charge is not included on these perks so you have to pay the 20% charge. Much like on royal if you buy the beverage package the 18% gratuity charge is not included in the price and you have to pay that and how in specialty restaurants you have to pay that. For the beverage package with NCL the service charge is 17.80 a day per person.

None of that is the daily service charge that covers room stewards and restaurant staff. That is basically the same as royal - you can choose to prepay or have the charge hit your account daily.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sorry, I am used to Royal, just seems this is a little more involved! so the gratuity are 17.00 a person a day (for housekeeping, wait staff, etc)?

No the service charge is $13.99/day. The above service charge is for the drink perk.

Yes, you are right- I'm upper level on RCI and those loaded drinks every day on my card, plus the 3+ hours of cocktail hour every night, is a definite- savings. But I find, it's not that much for me, as I don't see getting hammered on a cruise ship my preferences. :) I cruise for itinerary.

Thank you. So basically if we took the free drinks as part of the free at sea, we are not saving much. Being the sailaway deals 499.00 balcony room, then buy the package. for drinks 89.00 per person per day.....or the 599.00 balcony but includes the free at sea drinks and specialty rest. Sorry, I am used to Royal, just seems this is a little more involved! so the gratuity are 17.00 a person a day (for housekeeping, wait staff, etc)?

Hopefully this further clarifies... Using TODAY'S quote (prices are subject to change):

I went onto the NCL website to do a "mock booking." If one selects the $499 Sail Away Rate "BX" Balcony, the total cost (pre-DSC) would be $1285.62.

If you booked the "BC" Balcony, with the UBP and SDP (drinks and meals), the total cost (pre-DSC) would be $1655.62.

However,

What you also need to be aware of, you do NOT get to pick your stateroom with either of these categories! NCL will assign your room!

IF you book the BB or BA categories, yes the cost per per person is higher, but YOU get to select your stateroom (If that is a deciding factor for you).

The (DSC) Daily Service Charge is $13.99 per person per day and may be prepaid or billed to your onboard account.

The total added cost of the UBP & SDP is $85.00 per person (and is included in the "BC" total price quoted above).

The numbers I posted are the gratuities on the UBP.

The daily service charges are in addition to that and are about 14 dollars per day per person.

The Specialty meal package also has a 20% gratuity charge added to the price but I don't know the price of that.