Stockholm Excursions

RetroRod

Booked for a HL cruise Stockholm to Bergen in 2019. Arriving in Stockholm early on Day 1. Does Viking have any excursions for Day 1? Day 2 the ship departs at 2:30 PM. I assume they will have excursions that fit the 2:30 PM departure. Anyone have experience with Viking excursions for Day 2? Any recommendations for on your tours?

Go to the Vasa museum on your own. You can take a ferry from the dock. They will tell you which ferry. The ferry is cheap and teh museum really interesting. Try to go first thing in the morning, I think 9 AM but look up the hours. You won't have to wait in line if you are there early. You can also take a canal boat tour. Don't do the really long one, it was too long. Skip the Viking included bus tour. It was terrible. just driving around and you couldn't get off. Walk around Stockholm, easy to do. If you can time it to see the changing of the guard I heard that was great, we screwed up and missed it.

Our cruise ended in Stockholm, so can't answer your question about which tours on which days.

Our Homelands cruise started in Stockholm too.. there is a hop on hop off bus right by where the Viking ship docks. It was a great overview, Vasa museum is fantastic, so is ABBA museum.

The next day we did the included tour and it was a nice overview, we walked back to the ship on enjoyed the old town.. check out Rick Steve's book for this and other Baltic ports you are visiting.

Vasa Museum was the top attraction for us. We spent a very long time there. We, also, enjoyed walking to the Royal Palace. Skansen is an open air museum that we enjoyed as well. We felt that Gamla Stan was more shopping than anything.

Stockholm is full of sights and it's a shame you only have one full day there and that will depend on when you arrive. Vasa is on Djurgarten and there are several museums very close that can can be seen there.(ABBA, Skanssen, Vasa and Nordic to name a few) City Hall is also quiet a sight to see the inside as well. We also did Drottingholm but with your time schedule, I wouldn't suggest trying that. We were underwhelmed with the changing of the guard. Much more impressive on Youtube and it doesn't eat up you tour time. The HOHO, I believe will cover both the bus and the ferry but I'm not sure as the ferry was not in season when we were there. It could take you where the included will cover in most instances. but so will the city bus which runs more frequently. In your case, I would suggest you catch Rick Steves or Dennis Callen on Youtube to get an idea of what you might like to delve into deeper. If the included will do what HOHO would do, I would suggest you do city bus first day, as it is cheaper and you've already got the included at no extra cost. We were in V and were able to book first group and then we walked back through Gamla Stan to the ship, but again there is a city bus that goes to the port. Great city and great cruise. You almost can not have a great adventure.

On our recent cruise which included Stockholm, we very much enjoyed walking (on our own) through the Gamla Stan which is the old town part of the city. During this walk we came across the Royal Palace as well. A highlight of Stockholm for us was having a traditional Smorgasbord at the Grand Hotel. We were able to do all of this on foot. Our ship's shuttle delivered us close to the old town and Grand Hotel. The ship made reservations for us for the smorgasbord (not Viking), but you could do this yourself ahead of time.

We took a ship's tour to the Vasa Museum which is fascinating. But, it would be better to go on your own so that you can take your time. We felt very rushed on a tour. I think it is absolutely essential to be there when they open. Our tour had early admittance before the general opening time. It became very crowded at opening. IF your ship is offering a tour that can gain early admittance, that might be ok. We also took a tour of the City Hall which was absolutely amazing One would not expect a City Hall to be interesting. The sheer beauty of some of the mosaics in this building and their artistic qualities was remarkable.

We loved Stockholm!