Picking a cabin vs TBA

Looking for pros/cons of paying a little less in a balcony category and having the cruise line assign a cabin as opposed to me picking the cabin location. Any advice would be helpful, thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't used that feature because I want to have control over where my room is located. So I am okay with paying a little more for the exact room I want. I like to research the ship and see where the busier decks are to try and pick something a little more secluded.

Sometimes you can even see what the obstructed rooms look like here on cruise critic or by googling the ships cabins and you can make your decision based off that. Also, keep in mind you could be below a really busy deck or right next to an elevator.

I haven't used that feature because I want to have control over where my room is located. So I am okay with paying a little more for the exact room I want. I like to research the ship and see where the busier decks are to try and pick something a little more secluded.

Sometimes you can even see what the obstructed rooms look like here on cruise critic or by googling the ships cabins and you can make your decision based off that. Also, keep in mind you could be below a really busy deck or right next to an elevator.

The problem is that by the time you are assigned such a room, you normally don't really have any ability to change it. So as long as you are fine getting a balcony, go for it. We originally did but then we upgraded to a Suite (also GTY). The GTY balcony and Suites are usually pretty good. GTY Interior cabins can be on the lowest deck of the ship above the engine and even GTY Ocean Views can be pretty low on the ship as well. Balcony and Suites are high enough on the ship that most are pretty decent.

PS - There are about a GAZILLION threads on this exact same subject on here so you might want to try that SEARCH button feature.

Biggest issue is being under a noisy venue, for me I am spending 2 weeks on a ship and the room location is as important as anything else. There is always a certain side of the ship I want so for me no matter the price difference I pick the room.

Looking for pros/cons of paying a little less in a balcony category and having the cruise line assign a cabin as opposed to me picking the cabin location. Any advice would be helpful, thank you in advance.

It somewhat depends on the ship. Which one are you considering?

We switched to a guarantee for HUGE savings on one cruise. (quite a few years ago). The balcony cabin we were assigned was good, and we were on the same cruise, going to the same places. Since our vacation times are less flexible and more infrequent now; we pretty much stay with our junior suite locations that we select.

We don't think that switching our stateroom to an unknown location is worthwhile for only a little less in savings anymore. Others may feel differently. :D:D And truly, anywhere on the ship is fine, same ports, same amenities. <for the most part> :)

If location isn’t important due to seasickness or mobility issues then you can try a guarantee. If there are lots of sea days then you’ll be in your cabin more often. Conversely, if your itinerary is port intensive your cabin is less important because you’ll be there less. Personally, we get seasick so location is very important which makes a guarantee out of the question . We always check the “no upgrade” box. Enjoy your trip whatever you decide.