Skaagway or Sitka

Alada2

We enjoyed both Sitka and Skagway. Sitka is more traditional Alaska and Skagway offers the opportunity to travel into the Yukon. As others said, research the excursions in both and see if one interests you more. They are both worth seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 10 months later...

We are doing a third trip to Alaska, first with our boys. I was initially disappointed that this cruise doesn't stop at Skagway because I know the boys will like the train. However, I also remember that the last time I went to Skagway (15 years ago!) it was so crowded - the main street was like walking down the main street at Disney World on spring break - and with all the tourist shops.

No contest for me, Sitka by a mile.  History, wildlife, views... 

It's worthwhile to check the cruise calendar to see how many ships will be in Skagway on any given day.  4 big ships with 2000 - 3000 passengers each, plus several hundred or more crew with shore privileges, can have a pretty big impact on a town with a population of 900 counting dogs. Do the math.

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/convention_amp_visitors_bureau/page/33137/2019_cruiseship_schedule_8.5x27.5.pdf

Edited by Gardyloo

3 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

No contest for me, Sitka by a mile.  History, wildlife, views... 

It's worthwhile to check the cruise calendar to see how many ships will be in Skagway on any given day.  4 big ships with 2000 - 3000 passengers each, plus several hundred or more crew with shore privileges, can have a pretty big impact on a town with a population of 900 counting dogs. Do the math.

https://www.skagway.org/sites/default/files/fileattachments/convention_amp_visitors_bureau/page/33137/2019_cruiseship_schedule_8.5x27.5.pdf

I sure wish that other ports used that same pdf format for their ship schedule. It makes it really easy to see what ship, what time, and passenger load we are sharing the port with. Many other sites have times and ships but skip port passenger load. You have to hunt down data on the ships to find how many passengers. And then you have to worry if the source is leaving out a ship or two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, masterdrago said:

I sure wish that other ports used that same pdf format for their ship schedule. It makes it really easy to see what ship, what time, and passenger load we are sharing the port with. Many other sites have times and ships but skip port passenger load. You have to hunt down data on the ships to find how many passengers. And then you have to worry if the source is leaving out a ship or two.

And as far as I know, many ships give crew shore days in Skagway, and I don't think those are included in the daily totals.