Does anyone ever wear a wig or hairpiece for formal nights?

galfromtherock

I have had a seriously bad haircut. My hair was really long and now it's short and ugly in my opinion - I don't know what ever possesed me to have it cut, I hate it. By the time we sail it should be long enough for extentions and if not I may buy a wig. I'm thinking if it's too hot outside, I can wear it to dinner. What do you think? Anyone else like to fancy up their hair?

I just want to give you my sympathy -- bad haircuts SUCK. Personally I'd be too worried that a wig would slip, or a hairpiece fall or something. On our Mexican cruise I had a dreadful haircut, and I just used as much product as I needed to make my hair look passable. When I look at the pics from that cruise, my hair looked okay. Not fabulous, but okay.

Good luck, I hope you get to the point that you can tolerate the new haircut. Or find some way of working with it that you're at least not angst-ridden by it.

When I wore my hair shoulder length I would use pieces to easily put my hair up. Now my hair is barely 2 inches long that does not work.

This last cruise I did the hydro pool pass, and so I was there almost every day-and my hair looked terrible. The chlorine did it no favors. I had to super condition it. So either my hair looked as though I had stuck my finger in an electric socket, or else it looked greasy-from the conditioner. I wished that I had had a wig with me!

I still had fun and I will still do that hydra pool again-but I may just bring a wig with me next cruise! In fact I loved that pool so much, I am looking to see if there is a spa locally that has that that I could get a membership to, just for that.

Boy, a bad cut is the worst and why does it happen right before a cruise? The last cruise she cut my bangs sooo short and the sides were too close to my head, good grief. I am giving her reallllyyyy specific instructions this time, one of them, do not touch my bangs.

So, enough about me. In answer to your question, my aunt takes a wig every cruise and I didn't even know it was a wig when i first saw her, until she told me. she said her hair always looks perfect for dinner after a day at the beach.

Good luck

Can you get extensions before cruising? That would be alot easier than a wig, and probably look better, too!

Aren't good extensions fairly expensive, as in several hundred dollars? Of course quality wigs are not cheap either and they need to be cut so as not to look "wiggy," so they will run some money also.

I say fix your new hair style so it looks its best, an then forgetaboutit. Have fun, and don't let it ruin a great cruise. Your hair will grow out, and you can cruise with a "proper" hair style later. Stressing over a bad haircut can really make a great cruise just ok. don't let that happen... Please have a good time, I know only you will know that it could have looked better, everyone else will love the look.

I wouldn't waste my money on wigs, that might slip or look wiggy, or extentions that are expensive and eventually fall out. Save that money for your next (long hair again) cruise!

p.s. Great Earrings will make a great hairdo! Make'em shine and when they notice your earrings, they will not notice your hair is to short.

JMO

I recently got my hair cut off too so I could work on getting the black hair dye out. Thankfully it's long enough to pull back - but I never wear it down.

If it makes you really uncomfortable I would see if extensions would be fitting because wigs seem like they would be very hot! Or depending on how short it is look in magazines/online see if there is a certain way you can style it that you can live with. I love side hair flowers in mine, maybe that would compliment it?

My hair has been an issue lately due to thyroid problems. So, just before my last cruise (22 days B2B Panama Canal transits), I bought a wig. It's very similar to my natural hairstyle; but thicker. The weather was hot & humid; & I'm hot natured. I did find the wig warm but certainly not unbearable. I ended up wearing it most every day & certainly every night at dinner. It was just easier to plop it on & run out the door. With a few strategically placed bobby pins, I had no slippage. It's my new "best friend".

..everyone else is so preoccupied with their own hair, they're not even concerned about yours!! Go and have a great time, hair be damned!! ~~B~~

Thanks for answering my question. It's more important to have a good time.:)

I wore one once and I felt it was hot but bearable. I don't like anything on my head.

I thought it looked pretty natural and close to my regular hairstyle and color. However, as I was walking down the hallway I ran across my cabin steward who seemed to have a Kramer-type reaction. I also think I saw the corners of his mouth twitch up a little.:eek: I haven't worn a wig since.

I have a few hair pieces that clip into your hair. Real lifesavers after a day on the beach, or at the pool. Put your hair in a ponytail, clip on the piece(I have straight and curly ones) and your ready. I was not brave enough to wear them on deck much because of the wind.

I personally don't care what others think about my hair. The only thing that matters is that I be presentable and comfortable.

If I were to use a wig or hairpiece what about those that see me with and without. Then they might talk.

I have always wanted a wig just to have a different look. I have short spiky hair and I thought it would be fun to get something totally different and fun, funky color, different length. The reason why I haven't is because a good wig that doesn't look like a hair hat is going to be really spendy. But, someday:D

I had a horrible experience getting my hair cut many years ago. Since then, I've cut my own hair. Haven't been to a salon since the 80's and do a darn good job if I do say so myself. I even cut my DH's hair and he's pleased too.

That said, I would not have a problem wearing a wig. Some wigs of late are certainly not the stiff, ugly, uncomfortable type they had years ago. I've seen some really natural looking wigs. A neighbor of mine wears a wig every day, but I wouldn't have known if she hadn't told me. I'd say go for it.

How about wearing a hat or scarf during the day and maybe some pretty rhinestone bobby pins or a pretty headband at night. These are all really popular right now. I have a wig I bring on all my travels, cause you just don't know when you will hate the way your hair looks. I throw it in a plastic ziplock bag and I'm good to go. I just shake it out and go out and party. I always wear one of those stocking-type caps under it, which I tuck all my hair into, then I put on the wig and secure it with a few bobby pins. No problema!

I have one of the clips that looks like you have your hair in a ponytail. I love it. When I don't feel like fixing my hair, I just have to put it in a partial french twist and then put the clip on. No one knows that it is not my real hair until I tell them. Someone actually told me that I look younger with it. :D And that is never a bad thing!

It seems to me that wigs are becmoing more in vogue again, albeit for some "cultural groups" more than others.

If you like it and it wears well, why not??

They are in vogue again! I like some on QVC.. Jessica Simpson wigs.

I think what's cool is that wigs have come a long, long, way from what mom's and our grandmoms used to wear. I see women of all ages wearing them. Why not? If it wears well, is placed properly, it'd be a great way to change your style when you want to.

They are in vogue again! I like some on QVC.. Jessica Simpson wigs.

Two words, Paula Young! They do not look fake, and the price is right. I've had three. The Leanne style is a great one. I just might dig them out. Be careful when picking one out. I did get one that was too puffy on top. They won't get blown off, some have combs in the front. You get used to wearing them. You do feel a little selfconcience at first, until you realize no one knows you are wearing a wig. They are fun to wear because the style is always perfect.

II wouldn't waste my money on wigs, that might slip or look wiggy, or extentions that are expensive and eventually fall out. Save that money for your next (long hair again) cruise!

She didn't ask about saving money.

Sometimes and extra few dollars makes all the difference.

Archived