2 Nights = 1 Dress?

dandro

I never wear formal style stuff, and it is traumatic enough to have to go shop and buy something for the formal night on the ship, much less having to buy 2 outfits/dresses. Since we are doing open seating, would it be o.k. to wear the same outfit on both formal nights?

Sorry if this has been asked a lot, newbie here.

I never wear formal style stuff, and it is traumatic enough to have to go shop and buy something for the formal night on the ship, much less having to buy 2 outfits/dresses. Since we are doing open seating, would it be o.k. to wear the same outfit on both formal nights?

We had anytime dining on our last cruise due to booking last minute & we never even wore our formal clothes. You will find a lot of people in shorts & t shirts in the buffet every night for dinner. I was surprised that the food was very good & dinner took much less time. Have fun!

Jan in Mi

Of course you can wear the same dress---only your husband will know...you'll be surprised at how little attention is paid to you by others. It's a phenomenon in crowded spaces---folks tend to totally ignore you, unless you bring yourself to their attention.

If you have a really memorable dress (bright color, lots of details, etc) people might notice, but other than that I doubt it. I'm not sure what your style is, but I agree with the suggestion of the little black dress. It's classic, can be dressed up different with accessories, isn't something that stands out so much people would notice if you wore it twice, and could be used at some other point off the ship as well.

We have three formal nights on our Med cruise next week and I'm taking one long, very simple, black dress. We may skip one of the formal nights but if not I have no problem wearing it three times. BTW - we are doing Anytime Dining so it's not likely we'll see the same people and if we do . . . oh well ! For me it's all about packing smart.

Enjoy!

I think you should get what you feel comfortable in. A black dress or solid color dress is perfect. You can dress it up with different things to make it look totally different.

No one really cares if you wear the same thing twice or not and if they do they need to get a life.

I think it's a great idea to look in thrift stores for fancy dresses. Most people wear fancy clothes very little and I've seen some beautiful dresses. Take them to the cleaners and you have a lovely formal dress for very little money.

Why spend big bucks for something you won't wear very often.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually brought one black satin pencil skirt and then 2 different blouses to go with it. We dance a lot so I knew that one outfit wouldn't be enough!!

I do basically the same thing. I have a couple of dressy blouses that I wear with a black skirt. It appears that I have 2 completely different outfits, and a bonus is they don't wrinkle.

Men only bring one tuxedo or suite - one dress will work just fine. Maybe bring or better yet buy a colorful scarf or jewelry change it if you feel like it. Your table mates will remember your confident entrance, smile and sparkling conversation more than what you are wearing. :D

Absolutely!! One nice black dress, with different jewelry or something. If you don't have fancy jewelry, shop Target, Wal-Mart, etc. if you don't want to spend much. In the Austin area we also have stores like Hannah D's, Charming Charlies, Compass Tradind, etc., that have cheap fun jewelry! You can even find fancy scarves/shawls at places like this that will definitely change up the look. have fun with it!

I hate buying nice dresses because I rarely wear them! And... less to pack!!

Yes of course. Heavens!

I'm certainly not having positive thoughts about the person who posted the strange comment in post #21, either.

I am also wearing the same dress both formal nights. I don't dress up much either and after months of shopping, I finally found a black coctail dress that looks great on me, so I'm not going to bother to try to find a second one. If needed, I have time to wash it in the sink before the second formal night. I bring that powdered Tide detergent that you used to be able to buy with the travel stuff - although I noticed that it is now unavailable - I am really annoyed that so many of my favorite travel products have been discontinuted in recent months -anyone else noticing this?

I'm certainly not having positive thoughts about the person who posted the strange comment in post #21, either.

I am also wearing the same dress both formal nights. I don't dress up much either and after months of shopping, I finally found a black coctail dress that looks great on me, so I'm not going to bother to try to find a second one. If needed, I have time to wash it in the sink before the second formal night. I bring that powdered Tide detergent that you used to be able to buy with the travel stuff - although I noticed that it is now unavailable - I am really annoyed that so many of my favorite travel products have been discontinuted in recent months -anyone else noticing this?

Yes, I've noticed this, too! In a time when we really need to be finding small sizes of products, thanks to those ridiculous 3oz. rules when flying, either stores have stopped selling them or manufacturers have stopped making them.

Archived