Man Overboard On The Triumph

Tiger0613

Aren't there hundreds of security cameras on a ship, including infrared cameras to detect anyone going off of the ship?

I know that Carnival ships are equipped with "person overboard" sensors; they are infrared sensors mounted along the sides (look for the word "FLIR" on them) that can detect a person falling, and they alert the bridge. (We were shown the display panel on a Behind the Fun tour once, on Conquest I believe). I think I've seen the sensors on every Carnival ship I've sailed. I suspect they're not completely foolproof, but at least it's an added safety precaution.

Now I'm wondering if every cruise line is required to have them, or if it's just some ships. I don't remember seeing them on Royal ships, but I'll look again in a week as I'll be on the Indy.

Great username, BTW! One of my favorite bands of all time; I'm wearing a Rush t-shirt as I type this.

To save space, I won't quote the posts I'm answering, but I'll try to cover all the questions.

Not all life rings are required to have lights, so I can't say whether they were all so equipped or not. The lights are salt water activated and are designed to withstand a drop from considerable height, but some things are not 100% reliable. The lights on liferings are inspected monthly by the crew, annually by the flag state and class, and renewed every 2 years.

Searching for a man overboard is always a difficult task. There is always some delay between seeing the person in the water, and getting the word to the bridge, and even the time between the person going in the water and throwing the lifering, there will be separation, and differences in drift rate between the ring and the person. As soon as the bridge is notified of a man overboard, the watch officer will activate a button on the ship's ECDIS (electronic chart that gets inputs from the radars and GPS), to mark the spot. This allows the ship to return to this spot (which may still be a ways from the actual location the person went overboard) accurately. Even if the ship had made a "crash stop" (which would have sent every crew member and passenger flying and probably injured many) it would take 6-7 ship lengths to stop. Rapid turning at speed causes the ship to list (the more list the faster the ship is going or turning), which would also have likely resulted in injuries aboard.

As to the number of searchlights, my feeling is that they are on the bridge only for coordination purposes. Crossing light beams at night on the sea could return "flashes" off the waves that may confuse the search, and multiple beams could cause rescue boat crews, or those onboard looking, to temporarily lose their night vision. Even using searchlights at sea, finding someone in the water is extremely difficult. You are looking for something about the size of a volleyball (the human head, which is about all that is above water), covered in likely dark hair, in a dark sea, and the person is likely wearing dark clothes. Add in unknown drift rate, and the fact that this small object comes into view and out of view with each wave, and the problems multiply. Even the USCG, conducting man overboard training on their cutters, with a full crew assigned to the drill, and trained in observation, with a dummy dressed in fluorescent orange, in full daylight have lost the dummy in seas.

I don't believe that Carnival, in fact, has automated man overboard systems. To the best of my knowledge, only Disney has these systems. "Lawyers" like Walker say that the "Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act" will claim they are required by this law, but careful reading of the law shows that it only applies to US flag vessels. Carnival, like most cruise ships will have cameras pointed back along the sides of the ship, and may even have an infared camera, but the automated systems have a size and temperature filter in the software to determine if an object going overboard is a person or not, before sounding an alarm.

To save space, I won't quote the posts I'm answering, but I'll try to cover all the questions.

Thanks, as always, for your knowledgeable posts.

I don't believe that Carnival, in fact, has automated man overboard systems. To the best of my knowledge, only Disney has these systems. "Lawyers" like Walker say that the "Cruise Vessel Safety & Security Act" will claim they are required by this law, but careful reading of the law shows that it only applies to US flag vessels. Carnival, like most cruise ships will have cameras pointed back along the sides of the ship, and may even have an infared camera, but the automated systems have a size and temperature filter in the software to determine if an object going overboard is a person or not, before sounding an alarm.

That's exactly how the process was described to us during the tour. The FLIR sensors I've seen are mounted aft on the corners and cover the sides of the ship, and would detect if a falling object was the right size and around the right temperature.

I have a friend on Triumph. She just posted the following on facebook....

"Well our cruise ship is less ONE person... The Lady's husband... We left him in the Mexican brig.. For throwing her overboard"

I’m confused. Both of the women - the one on Elation and the one on Triumph - were pushed or thrown overboard by the husband/significant other? I read somewhere that the man on the Elation was also arrested in the Bahamas.

I’m confused. Both of the women - the one on Elation and the one on Triumph - were pushed or thrown overboard by the husband/significant other? I read somewhere that the man on the Elation was also arrested in the Bahamas.

Mr Brooks, the husband of the lady who went over on Triumph, was in a cabin on Deck 2 with a 24 hour security guard at the door. Their original cabin was sealed for the remainder of the cruise.