Man Overboard On The Triumph

Tiger0613

My parents are on this cruise as their 2nd ever cruise. When I first read it I was frantically searching for info not knowing but thankfully by the time I read it the news came out and the descriptions don't match my family. While I'm very thankful I am praying for this family.

My husband & I are new to cruising and we are not scared in the least and haven't given falling overboard any thought. We've seen that commercial and think it's funny. We may be new to cruising, but we know not to climb on the rails, drink too much & do something stupid, shove each other or any other dumb thing. We are also previous lifeguards so while not ideal we can tread water a loooong time...hopefully long enough for help to arrive. I had one coworker practically freak out because we booked a balcony cabin. When I asked if she knew how to swim, her reply was no. So I can understand why the thought of being surrounded by water or falling overboard can cause anxiety in some. The commercial just probably exacerbates fears that some already have. But I think most viewers see it for the entertainment it is.

Many professional yacht racers can't swim.

Looking back at pictures from my last cruise the railing is just I would just below by shoulders like inches and I am 5'3". I would literally have to climb the glass to fall over.
That makes me feel so much better! I'm barely 5'2", so I guess I'll be safe then! ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Anybody see the current commercial by Turbo Tax where the guy falls overboard? Very troubling.

https://youtu.be/Dx_D6phoqck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hate that commercial. I think the guy falling off and treading water talking to his friends on the boat downplays the seriousness of going overboard.

Is this the reason the Triumph didn't show up in Cozumel.

They said search and rescue was underway Monday morning.... I'm thinking the passengers have an extra sea day now. Tough situation for family, passengers and Carnival.... Everyone impacted in some way

My wife and I are newbies to cruising, 1st cruise next month, and neither of us are scared to death. Can you please show us where the reports are of newbies being scared to death ? I am not trying to be a smarta$$. I am just saying.

Years worth of discussion here on the boards of peoples interactions with others. As well, for many years, family, friends and those we don't know ask my husband or I at social gatherings why would we cruise when it's "so easy" to fall over board.

I would ask what they think of the 10's of thousands of passengers daily that manage to avoid falling overboard. I would say that speaks volumes to the safety of cruises, at least more than any commercial or 'fear' someone has. You have to put effort in to 'fall' overboard. Terrible and sad....but not a common occurrence. Certainly not indicative of any level of safety.

Why so troubling ? It's a commercial. Do you think this will make people jump ?

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Forums mobile app

I don't think anyone will jump, but the ad gives the false impression that it is easy to fall overboard. And non-cruisers will think that it is a real risk when cruising. We who cruise know that no one leans against a railing and then "falls" over.

Anytime you read about someone going overboard you just know it was some very inebriated individual or a suicide. You just don’t fall off a cruise ship, unless you were doing something pretty dumb.

Completely agree. Been on 15 cruises and in my humble opinion, it’s literally impossible for someone to fall off a cruise ship unless you’re doing it on purpose or something dumb

Disturbing news. So sorry for the families and friends. It has to be unsettling to be on a cruise when something like this happens.

And no you won't fall over a balcony unless there are very unusual circumstances. And as for the commercial, I think it's pretty sad when you have to use falling overboard as humor. It seems extremely distasteful, particularly in light of the tragedy that follows such incidents.