Man Overboard On The Triumph

Tiger0613

My wife and I are newbies to cruising, 1st cruise next month, and neither of us are scared to death. Can you please show us where the reports are of newbies being scared to death ? I am not trying to be a smarta$$. I am just saying.

Every time we discuss cruising with anyone, it is the first thing out of their mouth. "aren't you afraid of falling off?"

Just like all the folks who have never been sailfish fishing that are now going to not do that for fear of being gored.

Or...people understand it is a dumb commercial being played for laughs, and just leave it at that?

Swordfish have killed people in this manner

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/150601-swordfish-bill-fisherman-death-animal-hawaii-ocean/

Don’t understand the lure of sport fishing.

Well after seeing the Poseidon Adventure I can tell you I won't be taking any cruises on New Year's Eve! :')

I watch that movie before every cruise as a refresher course on what to do if the ship turns upside down. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I are newbies to cruising, 1st cruise next month, and neither of us are scared to death. Can you please show us where the reports are of newbies being scared to death ? I am not trying to be a smarta$$. I am just saying.

I never said I had reports....it is a common question for people that know nothing about cruise ships other than seeing "fell overboard" on the news. I am very happy that you are not scared to death...but has it ever crossed your mind that could fall overboard? No? Wonderful! :) I hope you have a wonderful 1st cruise next month. Be prepared to be addicted!!!!:cool:

Edited by champagne123
mmmmm

Just like all the folks who have never been sailfish fishing that are now going to not do that for fear of being gored.

Or...people understand it is a dumb commercial being played for laughs, and just leave it at that?

remember we have people out there that eat Tide pods...

remember we have people out there that eat Tide pods...

And if the man-overboard ad keeps those folks off my cruise, I'm OK with that.

Or even better, they go on cruises to take the "railing plank challenge" and end up actually going overboard.

Well, that's a bit harsh - the ship would have to waste time looking for them, so maybe not.

;)

I think these are two different incidents.

Lady overboard in Bahamas from Elation? and a kid overboard from Triumph.

Exactly, the woman on the Elation they are speculating was pushed. I have not heard anything yet on how the Triumph passenger went overboard. 44 year old woman by the way.

I never said I had reports....it is a common question for people that know nothing about cruise ships other than seeing "fell overboard" on the news. I am very happy that you are not scared to death...but has it ever crossed your mind that could fall overboard? No? Wonderful! :) I hope you have a wonderful 1st cruise next month. Be prepared to be addicted!!!!:cool:
I'll be a first time cruiser next month on the Magic, and I, for one, am terrified. But I've done enough research and had reassurance from friends who have cruised to know that the fear is mostly mind over matter. But I'll say that these new "man overboard" reports aren't helping my anxiety! I'm doing my best to push it out of my head and focus on having a great time once I'm onboard!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

You cannot fall overboard unless you are climbing or sitting on the rail. The other way would be that you are pushed or thrown overboard.

It was reported that the woman on the Elation was pushed and that they took her husband into custody.

There is speculation that the woman on the Triumph was a suicide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I cannot find any details on the woman dead on the Elation, I do not think that has been released yet.

I can’t find any details either. This is one of the few reports I could find so far: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/carnival-cruise-passenger-death-two-190416089.html

The Elation incident was the 2nd falling death in a year. [emoji50]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alcohol + anger + cruise ship = recipe for disaster.

Not saying this as a fact in this situation, but I would be surprised if alcohol wasn't involved.

Alcohol + anger is actually all that is needed to be a recipe for disaster, cruise ship or not.

My husband & I are new to cruising and we are not scared in the least and haven't given falling overboard any thought. We've seen that commercial and think it's funny. We may be new to cruising, but we know not to climb on the rails, drink too much & do something stupid, shove each other or any other dumb thing. We are also previous lifeguards so while not ideal we can tread water a loooong time...hopefully long enough for help to arrive. I had one coworker practically freak out because we booked a balcony cabin. When I asked if she knew how to swim, her reply was no. So I can understand why the thought of being surrounded by water or falling overboard can cause anxiety in some. The commercial just probably exacerbates fears that some already have. But I think most viewers see it for the entertainment it is.

I'll be a first time cruiser next month on the Magic, and I, for one, am terrified. But I've done enough research and had reassurance from friends who have cruised to know that the fear is mostly mind over matter. But I'll say that these new "man overboard" reports aren't helping my anxiety! I'm doing my best to push it out of my head and focus on having a great time once I'm onboard!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

You will have a great time on the Magic with Dr. E!! We were on Magic last year and will also be on her again in February. Enjoy your cruise!!