Best way to get back to Nynashamn from Stockholm

I am touring with Alla and their tour ends at Nynashamn 3 hrs before the ship leaves. I think my group rather skip that transfer back and just find our own way back. I believe we will end up at Old Town. Is there a convenient way for us to get back to nynashamn? We are a group of 9.

If you look on google maps, a taxi would take an hour. A train would take 2. In other words, no convenient way. Can you get Alla to extend your time in Stockholm?

I asked already and they said no. It's not a private tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A different poster stated on these board that his tour was able to skip the line into Vasa. You might want to email the museum directly to ask about that, because honestly otherwise I have no idea what value a tour in Stockholm would provide if it makes you leave three hours early. If you work out the transportation issue from Nynashamn, perhaps you might want to look into cancelling this tour unless you got a great package deal as part of your st. Petersburg tour.

Stockholm has an excellent system of public transportation, and we easily traversed the city using subways, buses and trams with our 3 year old in tow (we did dock directly in Stockholm though).

No, We didn't get a fantastic deal. It is a 7 hour tour, however, two hours goes to the round trip from the port to Stockholm.

Originally we were to leave at 5:00, however, NCL added 2 hours for our stay. Many people would love to see the Abba Museum but getting back to the ship won't be easy. I hear there will be a new train and train station coming this week.

If you travel after July 10th you will have to use the new underground station Stockholm City (but its very close to Stockholm Central)

Departure times is 04 and 34 past the hour, travel time is 1 hour and 7 minutes.

It takes 10 minutes to walk to the cruise pier from the station.

Thank you all for the great info. TravelingAPor is on the same cruise as I am. We will be there the 16th of July. Not sure how I feel about relying on a new system the 6 days after it is opening to get me back to the Cruise ship. My options are to cancel my Alla tour and book the 9 hr NCL tour or to keep this tour and decide while touring whether to find my way back or to just return 3 hrs early and hang out in Nynashamn.

Did a little more research on this site (https://www.sj.se/en/home.html#/) and it looks like on Sunday (the day myself and TravelAPor will be there) it only runs 04 past the hour. The cost is less than $6 per hour. That seems pretty reasonable. The get to the ship on time I would need to leave at the 17:04 train. That would give me an extra 2 hrs in Stockholm versus the tour.

Did a little more research on this site (https://www.sj.se/en/home.html#/) and it looks like on Sunday (the day myself and TravelAPor will be there) it only runs 04 past the hour. The cost is less than $6 per hour. That seems pretty reasonable. The get to the ship on time I would need to leave at the 17:04 train. That would give me an extra 2 hrs in Stockholm versus the tour.

Sounds like a winner to me. Those extra 2 hours would allow you time to visit the Abba museum. :)

It s better to look at https://sl.se/en/ since SJ doesn't have anything to do with the commuter trains in Stockholm.

https://sl.se/en/#/Travel/SearchTravelById/Stockholm%20City%20(Stockholm)/Nyn%C3%A4shamns%20station%20(Nyn%C3%A4shamn)/1080/9720/2017-07-10%252015_00/depart/en/null/null/1,4,/null/null/null/null/null/true/null/1/0/null/false

Btw Sorry I posted the time schedule for a regular weekday and not Sunday.

The whole point of the new tunnel is to separate the Pendeltog trains from the intercity and other SJ trains in Stockholm because they share the double track rail through Stockholm at the moment.

Most of the delays is because of the SJ trains so the new tunnel only for Pendeltog should make the service more reliable.

But but but but, from Denmark we have bad experiences with new rail systems that always seems to have some start up problems.

But maybe the Swedes are better at this.

I think the Citytunneln in Malmö opened without any major problems and the Hallandsås Tunnel also opened without any problems (besides the horrible construction failure)

Hi, do all cruise ships dock at Nynasham, even smaller ships like the Pacific Princess? If so , how do you get to Stockholm on your own? The way I have read it, it appears that you can take the train which is reasonably close to the cruise terminal and go into the new line or Stockholm Central. Has anyone used the train and bought their tickets while docked? What was the train trip like? We will be there on a Thursday for do it by ourselves after our planned tour on the Wednesday. Would it be an idea to get the tickets on the Wednesday? We are doing an SPB tour. Thanks for your help.

Montelco, if you're docking in Nynashamn, the trip to Stockholm is quite easy. Once you get off the ship, buy a transit pass from the Tourist Information booth at the terminal. Then, follow the blue or yellow line (the tourist booth people will tell you) to the train station. It's roughly a 15 minute walk. You get on train #35 which will take you to Stockholm Central, which is a 1 hour ride.

The train ride was smooth, quiet, and comfortable.

Montelco, if you're docking in Nynashamn, the trip to Stockholm is quite easy. Once you get off the ship, buy a transit pass from the Tourist Information booth at the terminal. Then, follow the blue or yellow line (the tourist booth people will tell you) to the train station. It's roughly a 15 minute walk. You get on train #35 which will take you to Stockholm Central, which is a 1 hour ride.

The train ride was smooth, quiet, and comfortable.

Except that the train now calls at Stockholm City instead of Stockholm Central after the tunnel is opened.

A link to a map can be found here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53498475#post53498475

• 2 weeks later...
A different poster stated on these board that his tour was able to skip the line into Vasa. You might want to email the museum directly to ask about that, because honestly otherwise I have no idea what value a tour in Stockholm would provide if it makes you leave three hours early. If you work out the transportation issue from Nynashamn, perhaps you might want to look into cancelling this tour unless you got a great package deal as part of your st. Petersburg tour.

Stockholm has an excellent system of public transportation, and we easily traversed the city using subways, buses and trams with our 3 year old in tow (we did dock directly in Stockholm though).

I took the Alla Tour 7 hour tour and it was a long drive into Stockholm. The only good thing about the tour was skipping the HUGE line to get into the Vasa Museum. Five hours is really too short a time to really see Stockholm.

We were just not brave enough to do it on our own.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Stockholm on our own from Nynasham. Directions/advise/maps and all encompassing transp tix from the tourist office ...15 min walk to the train , train runs every half hour weekdays or every hour weekends...must get in the first car. From Stockholm city station we hopped on a tram to the Vasa ( as advised by tourist office ) ..there are long lines for the Vasa for non groups but it went quickly...10 minutes we waited in line... The total cost for the vasa museum and transportation was about $30 each . Do see the short film about the vasa museum ! At the vasa museum there is an info desk manned by knowledgeable guys with large maps who can advise you to your next stop ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The tram is not a very good option for Vasa since you need to walk halfway to Vasa to get to the tram.

From Stockholm City station, bus 69 towards Blockhusudden or 76 towards Frihamnen/Ropsten. For both get off at Djurgårdsbron.

Commuter train Nynäshamn - Stockholm runs every 30 minutes on weekends as well. departure times are XY:19 and XY:49

• 7 months later...
The tram is not a very good option for Vasa since you need to walk halfway to Vasa to get to the tram.

From Stockholm City station, bus 69 towards Blockhusudden or 76 towards Frihamnen/Ropsten. For both get off at Djurgårdsbron.

Commuter train Nynäshamn - Stockholm runs every 30 minutes on weekends as well. departure times are XY:19 and XY:49

looks like I got the same information from visit Stockholm page. If we do Vasa first, what would you suggest next? Gamla, City Hall with Malaren view and back to Stockholm City train station route perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the NCL Breakaway July 13 cruise and I am wondering with docking now in Nynashamn and with a brand new train system that may have glitches if we might be better off with an NCL tour. I am doing my research now.

NCL tours are expensive. We took the Alla tour into Stockholm. It cost less and was better than trying to do it on our own.