Help me choose a deck for a balcony on Freedom

teague38

I have only been on 2 cruises, both have been on the Dream. Also, both times interior on Deck 6 mid-ship. My question is do you feel the boat move more the higher up you are or if you are in the front or back more?? Right now I have an ocean view booked on deck 6 in the middle on the Freedom but I am really, really wanting to change to a balcony since this will be the first vacation that me and my husband have been on in 23 years without our kids who are now 22 and 18. I would really like to try a different deck and maybe even move from the middle of the ship but so far this deck and being in the middle has worked for me as far as movement of the boat. The higher the deck the more the price goes up so It makes me wonder is being on a deck 10 balcony better than being on a balcony on deck 6. I would just like to hear others opinions.

I have only been on 2 cruises, both have been on the Dream. Also, both times interior on Deck 6 mid-ship. My question is do you feel the boat move more the higher up you are or if you are in the front or back more?? Right now I have an ocean view booked on deck 6 in the middle on the Freedom but I am really, really wanting to change to a balcony since this will be the first vacation that me and my husband have been on in 23 years without our kids who are now 22 and 18. I would really like to try a different deck and maybe even move from the middle of the ship but so far this deck and being in the middle has worked for me as far as movement of the boat. The higher the deck the more the price goes up so It makes me wonder is being on a deck 10 balcony better than being on a balcony on deck 6. I would just like to hear others opinions.

It all depends on Mother Nature and the seas. I have seen the ocean like glass on eight day cruises. But then again I have also seen rain on the front of the ship while the back stayed completely dry.

Balance a pencil on your finger , now raise the front and back of the same pencil. Notice what the middle section of the pencil is doing. Not much movement there eh ?

We had a cove balcony on the Freedom last November and loved it. The coves are on deck 2 so closer to the water, less movement and when you get back on board after being in port all day it's a quick walk up to your cabin. We loved the Freedom and liked our dinner at the steak house better than on the Breeze. Make a reservation for the steak house the first night to take advantage of the free or discounted wine, our waiter let us each buy 2 bottles at 50% off each so a total of 4 bottles, we had one, took one to the room and they held the other 2 for us to have in the MDR.

We are sailing on the Dream for the first time in August and are excited to try a new ship, usually sail the Breeze or Freedom from Galveston.

Enjoy your vacation!!

We had a cove balcony on the Freedom last November and loved it. The coves are on deck 2 so closer to the water, less movement and when you get back on board after being in port all day it's a quick walk up to your cabin. We loved the Freedom and liked our dinner at the steak house better than on the Breeze. Make a reservation for the steak house the first night to take advantage of the free or discounted wine, our waiter let us each buy 2 bottles at 50% off each so a total of 4 bottles, we had one, took one to the room and they held the other 2 for us to have in the MDR.

We are sailing on the Dream for the first time in August and are excited to try a new ship, usually sail the Breeze or Freedom from Galveston.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Must have to get those early. There isn't any kind of balcony rooms available lower than deck 6 and my sailing isn't until Dec 2019

We love the higher decks and don’t feel a thing up there unless we get up to deck 11 or above. On decks 11 and 12 (where we had spa balconies) there was more movement but we didn’t notice it much until bedtime. At night we really felt the rocking but I didn’t mind as I felt like I was being rocked to sleep. And the spa is for 18 and up so it was really quiet up there too. On decks 9 and 10 we saw very little difference from decks 6 or 7. We loved being so close to the pool and food too. But we always book midship cabins and that has a lot to do with feeling less movement. You feel the movement more if you’re far forward or at the very back of the ship. The middle of the ship is more stable and less likely to feel movement.

Enjoy your vacation!!

Could you be mistaken? There are not any Coves on Freedom or any other Conquest class ship. That began with the Dream class (Dream, Breeze, Magic)

We love the higher decks and don’t feel a thing up there unless we get up to deck 11 or above. On decks 11 and 12 (where we had spa balconies) there was more movement but we didn’t notice it much until bedtime. At night we really felt the rocking but I didn’t mind as I felt like I was being rocked to sleep. And the spa is for 18 and up so it was really quiet up there too. On decks 9 and 10 we saw very little difference from decks 6 or 7. We loved being so close to the pool and food too. But we always book midship cabins and that has a lot to do with feeling less movement. You feel the movement more if you’re far forward or at the very back of the ship. The middle of the ship is more stable and less likely to feel movement.

Thank you. This will help me make my decision. I think I will stay middle and try moving to lido deck.

It's really a matter of personal preference and trying out the different options. We have stayed on Deck 2 in a Cove on the Magic, forward and high, midship and aft. Our personal preference is the L shaped balconies (the last balcony before the aft ones) - but that room is not for everyone as there is less floor space, but 2 times the balcony. Even if those are not available (ships in the Fantasy class for example don't have them) we tend to stay on a deck between 2 floors of cabins, to ensure quiet, and aft. Aft seems to keep us close to the comedy club and Alchemy and around Deck 7 on the Conquest class has you 2 floors down from Lido and 2 up from Promenade.

Some people LOVE the Cove - but it is not our preference. We could hear lots of hull noise from the water. And while we loved the cozy balcony, it got no sun except early morning or late afternoon, the later of which turned it into a metal sauna. Others love being forward on the Lido because they spend a lot of time there. We do not.

So really, you need to try out different locations and see what fits your cruising style best.

Thank you. This will help me make my decision. I think I will stay middle and try moving to lido deck.

I had a Lido deck balcony cabin last time I sailed on Freedom. I loved the location because it was so convenient; however, I had cabin 9276 and there was an exhaust fan of some type near enough that it was pretty noisy on the balcony. I did not hear it inside the cabin, but it definitely affected the time I spent on the balcony--like I couldn't enjoy a quiet cup of coffee in the mornings watching the water. So I'd avoid that cabin. Friends were in the balcony cabin next to mine. Their cabin stayed too warm while mine was comfortably cool.

Have a great cruise on Freedom. It sounds like you're overdue for a vacation.

I had a Lido deck balcony cabin last time I sailed on Freedom. I loved the location because it was so convenient; however, I had cabin 9276 and there was an exhaust fan of some type near enough that it was pretty noisy on the balcony. I did not hear it inside the cabin, but it definitely affected the time I spent on the balcony--like I couldn't enjoy a quiet cup of coffee in the mornings watching the water. So I'd avoid that cabin. Friends were in the balcony cabin next to mine. Their cabin stayed too warm while mine was comfortably cool.

Have a great cruise on Freedom. It sounds like you're overdue for a vacation.

Thanks for the info. We vacation every year, just went on a cruise in March but never by ourselves. I just wish it wasn't so far away. :(

Could you be mistaken? There are not any Coves on Freedom or any other Conquest class ship. That began with the Dream class (Dream, Breeze, Magic)

Good catch! You are right our cove balconies were on the Breeze not the Freedom. Sorry for the wrong information. We were on deck 8 on the Freedom.

Good catch! You are right our cove balconies were on the Breeze not the Freedom. Sorry for the wrong information. We were on deck 8 on the Freedom.

:D I just wanted to correct that record just in case someone was making a decision based on it. Tell me, are you in the camp that likes coves? It's on our bucket list.

Thanks for the info. We vacation every year, just went on a cruise in March but never by ourselves. I just wish it wasn't so far away. :(

Hopefully the time will go quickly. I know what you mean. I haven't been on a ship in 5 months which is the longest time in years I've gone without sailing. I had to take a break while I prepared for and installed new flooring in my house. My next cruise is in 2 months, and it feels like forever! Lol. Just to clarify my earlier post, my friends were in Lido balcony cabin 9274. That was the cabin that was too warm. Hope you find a great balcony cabin.

:D I just wanted to correct that record just in case someone was making a decision based on it. Tell me, are you in the camp that likes coves? It's on our bucket list.

I appreciate you realizing my mistake! Yes we like coves, you are close to the water and after a long port day it's a short walk up to your cabin instead of long lines at the elevator or a long climb up the stairs to higher floors. We also love the wrap or L shaped balconies for the balcony space even thought the cabin is smaller in those rooms. We are excited to be on the Dream for the first time in August in the L shape balcony and our boys will be in an aft balcony.

SaveSave

I appreciate you realizing my mistake! Yes we like coves, you are close to the water and after a long port day it's a short walk up to your cabin instead of long lines at the elevator or a long climb up the stairs to higher floors. We also love the wrap or L shaped balconies for the balcony space even thought the cabin is smaller in those rooms. We are excited to be on the Dream for the first time in August in the L shape balcony and our boys will be in an aft balcony.

SaveSave

The short walk sure is nice. We love Riviera OVs for that exact reason. Probably our prefered cabin. When we go Balc on a Conquest boat we're big fans of Verandah. The Lido restaurant provides a very nice extended overhang. We've noticed that if we under seating areas, it's plenty quiet during nighttime hours.

I like mid ship or somewhat aft Empress deck 7 balconies on the Conquest class ships like Freedom. I've booked a last minute aft balcony on the upper deck and wound up hearing the piano bar. Good thing the singer was terrible, since they only went past midnight once. Another last second pick on a verandah deck, we could hear chairs or loungers being moved in the middle of the night.

Empress generally has cabins above and below, and unless there is a big family or ardent honeymooners in those cabins, it's usually a smooth and fairly quiet sailing.