Beach area at port?

renee1222

I've been to Costa Maya just once before and I noticed what looked like a beach area with chairs inside the port area. We had a booked excursion, so we didn't walk over there. I was just wondering if this beach area is reserved for a specific excursion or if anyone can use it without reservations. Also, is there a fee to use the beach or chairs.

I see that the pool in port is available and free to use, just wondering if the beach area was the same.

• Like 1

As far as I've ever know it is. What charges for loungers or other things are I haven't a clue. The port area to me is one big giant $$$$$sucking machine compared to any number of spots along the malecon and elsewhere.

There is a dolphin show at the port and I think it occurs near this area, so there may be some restrictions.

Just so you know...this is not actually a "beach". There's no water (ocean) access.

PC170162-L.jpg

The chairs and palapas just sit by the water, which has a wall with no access into the water.

These are right beside the dolphin encounter in the port.

PC170164-L.jpg

Around the pool area is a "fake" beach type of thing. They have like hard packed sand with a light dusting of sand all around the pool with the lounge chairs there.

PC170139-L.jpg

PC170141-L.jpg

P5160030-L.jpg

I'll reiterate what others have said. If you are really committed to not leaving the port facility, I suppose that little fake beach might be a nice place to lay in the sun and look at the water, but the port facility is way more expensive than the nearby village of Mahahual. Spend the $3 per person on the taxi to Mahahual and save money by the time you get your second drink. Not to mention that Mahahual has the cheapest beachside massages I've seen anywhere. Roughly half the price you would pay in Cozumel. Also, real beaches with access to the water and water toys and snorkling available.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for all of the information.

Is there any part of the "beach" where a 3-year-old could dig in the sand? One post mentioned it was hard packed. Is it at least "sandbox-like" or better?

Is there any access to the sandy area north of the pier (not by the dolphin thing)?

Thank you.

Thanks for all of the information.

Is there any part of the "beach" where a 3-year-old could dig in the sand? One post mentioned it was hard packed. Is it at least "sandbox-like" or better?

Is there any access to the sandy area north of the pier (not by the dolphin thing)?

Thank you.

While there is a nice sandy area north of the pier, as far as I know it is still private property and there's nothing there. Certainly no access from the port complex.

I have zero idea of what the sand quality is at the port "beach". But just take a taxi to Mahahual and have them drop you off at Blue Kay.

Not to mention that Mahahual has the cheapest beachside massages I've seen anywhere. Roughly half the price you would pay in Cozumel.

What are the massage areas like? Is there any privacy? Do you wear a bathing suit?

We enjoy going to Krazy Lobster area was just there this past Tuesday and walked the Malecon. Seemed to be one of the better area as they've put up a "fence" to try to cut down on the seagrass which is all along the beach

Are you sure it wasn’t to try and cut down on the seaweed? How bad is the seaweed in Costa Maya now?

• 2 weeks later...
This has been helpful. Didn't know what to do in Costa Maya. Sounds like a trip to Mahahual is in order. In addition to Tropicante, what are other things to do in this town? Beaches to visit?

Tropicante is your beach. All along the malecon is a single beach broken up by numerous small beach clubs. some hotels, and a couple of stand alone type restaurants. There are some smaller craft/souvenir kiosks there. but that's basically it! It was once a small fishing village that started attracting divers back in the early 90s/late 80s. And the cruise ships in the early 00s, I think.

Love the Tropicante. It is owned by an American named Steve who is usually there. Very friendly. Good prices on the drinks and food. Nice beach. There is lots of shopping around and some water sports and boats all for extra fees. We just love to sit and watch everything while drinking and having something to eat and getting in the ocean to cool off. Chairs and umbrellas don't cost any extra as long as you give him your business. Have a great time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
About how long is the taxi ride from port to Tropicanta ? Are they bus taxis or private regular cars? I have a 15 month old and trying to determine if it would be ok without a carseat?

Are there plenty of taxis available?

There are plenty of taxis but you have to walk outside the port gates to catch one. I would definitely suggest a stroller to get from the ship (long pier, and need to walk through pier shops to outside). Ride is about 10 minutes.

Alternative is shuttle ( truck pulling several carriages) which leaves from port exit - not much shorter walk. You can take the shuttle there but need to take a taxi back.

About how long is the taxi ride from port to Tropicanta ? Are they bus taxis or private regular cars? I have a 15 month old and trying to determine if it would be ok without a carseat?

Info on getting to Tropicante: http://www.sandalsandskis.com/how-to-get-there.html

We have a 4 year old who still uses a convertible car seat and we plan to use it for him in Roatan where we hired a private tour driver for the day. We aren’t using a vehicle in Nassau. And in Cozumel we are taking a ship excursion so I’m not sure yet if we will be able to. For the short ride to Tropicante we don’t plan to use it. Obviously 15 months is much younger so it’s your discretion on if you do or not.

If you take the tram, you can hold your child. Sit in a middle car in the middle. You'll be fine.

If you walk out to the taxi stand, the taxi captain can get you what ever type of vehicle you need.

For all ports and the ship probably best to bring one of those portable car seat/carrier.