Americas Test Kitchen on Noordam?

jmpiterniak

Just wondering if anyone's seen ATK on Noordam yet. Believe this is fleet-wide in the next few months, but was hoping we'd see ATK when we sail on the 18th. Thanks!

JoAnne :cool:

I am on the Noordam now and the ATK salmon presentation was just as professional as the TC show without the editing. The chef gave lots of tips and an full page handout on preparing salmon to cook.

Make sure you get a seat where you can see the TV screens otherwise you just see the chef from the waist up and not the food preparation.

ATK is much more professional than the previous PG chefs.

Yes, we saw the ATK shows on salmon and on chocolate desserts on the Noordam 2weeks ago. The seating filled quickly, so l'd plan to get there early for a seat. We were not able to see the presenter during the salmon show because are seats were on the far side, but we could see her working via the big screen TVs.

If the presenter is the same woman, you'll find her very personable. She was out on Deck 9 aft during the Sailaway handing out a good cooking magazine.

I am on the Noordam now and the ATK salmon presentation was just as professional as the TC show without the editing. The chef gave lots of tips and an full page handout on preparing salmon to cook.

Make sure you get a seat where you can see the TV screens otherwise you just see the chef from the waist up and not the food preparation.

ATK is much more professional than the previous PG chefs.

That sounds great!!

If it's available do you have to sign up in advance? Cost? On a sea day or a port day? If Oosterdam has it would they likely do Salmon also since it is an Alaska cruise?

ATK is much like the old cooking demos (except more professional as previously noted) and more informative. The cooking demos are free. There are cooking classes for a limited number of people. I can't give you any more information about the classes under ATK as I was not able to attend any; they were full from 5 star Mariners who get a cooking class for free. If you're interested in a cooking class, do sign up as soon as possible after boarding (at the Front Desk or through the Concierge). You might be put on a waiting list. The cooking classes under the old system were $29/person and were limited to 12 participants. Whether either changed with ATK, I wouldn't know. If no one posts their ATK experience, then you'd best inquire onboard. There should be an open house on embarkation day where you can ask.

The demos will be held at times when the majority are onboard, like sea days. The classes, I believe, might be held on port days because the set-up, class time, and clean up afterwards took too much time from a well used venue.

Thanks. No experience with old demos. The Queen's Lounge & Culinary Arts Center looks pretty large - definitely able to handle more than 12 people. Before they took away the "click on a location to see picture" in the deck plans the picture made it look like a mini-theater. The new deck plans on the web site suck. Just a PDF, not interactive and way to small to read.

Checking at Front Desk is definitely now on our "as soon as as we board" list of things to-do.

Thanks. No experience with old demos. The Queen's Lounge & Culinary Arts Center looks pretty large - definitely able to handle more than 12 people. Before they took away the "click on a location to see picture" in the deck plans the picture made it look like a mini-theater. The new deck plans on the web site suck. Just a PDF, not interactive and way to small to read.

Checking at Front Desk is definitely now on our "as soon as as we board" list of things to-do.

The Queen's Lounge/CAC/ATK/BB King venue is very large and can hold many more than 12 people for a demo, movie, presentation, etc. But the hands on cooking classes were limited to twelve people so that everyone could work around the kitchen setup.

Do "non-hands on" demos (if they have those) require sign-up? I would be fine just watching a demo without "doing".

Nope, just show up. I would get there a little early, though. When I went to ATK when it was first introduced last October, it was very busy and sometimes one couldn't get in. It was standing room only.

No charge for the demos but show up very early to find a seat. They do bring in a few extra chairs around the edges for additional folks. Make sure you pick up the free recipe cards at the back of the Culinary Arts Center or they will be gone if you wait until you leave.

"Hands on" cooking classes were on Juneau port day. This was also the case on my last Panama Canal cruise - a port day.