Dual citizen and american spouse using eu line at heathrow

My husband has dual citizenship, British and American and I have American citizenship. Was hoping someone else with the same circumstance has been through Border Control when you arrive at Heathrow, We've always went to the non EU line but the last time my husband was asked why he didn't use his British passport. We would love to try going through the EU line with him using his British passport but didn't know if they would also let me go through the line since I'm an American citizen. The EU line is always so much shorter than the non EU line. Thanks for any help.

My husband has dual citizenship, British and American and I have American citizenship. Was hoping someone else with the same circumstance has been through Border Control when you arrive at Heathrow, We've always went to the non EU line but the last time my husband was asked why he didn't use his British passport. We would love to try going through the EU line with him using his British passport but didn't know if they would also let me go through the line since I'm an American citizen. The EU line is always so much shorter than the non EU line.
You should be fine to use the EU queue together as you're married.

But the immigration officer was entirely correct to ask the question of your husband. There's no reason why he can't use his British passport if he's with you in the non-EU queue, and there are many good reasons why he should. I've done this on many occasions over the years, accompanying other people who have to use the non-EU queue.

We have the same thing thing in reverse. I have a US and a UK passport, and I use the US passport when I travel to the USA. DH has a British passport. Whichever queue we go through together in a US airport, we’re told to use the other one next time. :confused: Maybe they’re a bit more consistent in the UK.

I believe that if you are a citizen of a country you are supposed to use that passport to enter the country. As someone with only one passport I can’t vouch for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that if you are a citizen of a country you are supposed to use that passport to enter the country.
Some countries have this specific rule. The USA is one.

The UK is not - but there are still good reasons to use the UK passport to enter the UK.

Unless we’re looking at totally different pages, that link doesn’t address which queue to stand in, it’s just really general info about applying for a passport or a visa. The OP comes into and goes out of the UK with all paperwork in order, as I read it, and is just wondering which queue for a couple consisting of one UK citizen and one US citizen.

Unless we’re looking at totally different pages, that link doesn’t address which queue to stand in, it’s just really general info about applying for a passport or a visa. The OP comes into and goes out of the UK with all paperwork in order, as I read it, and is just wondering which queue for a couple consisting of one UK citizen and one US citizen.

That's correct, I looked at the link and it doesn't specify which queue we should get in. In the past we've always gone in the non EU queue but my DH was questioned about why he didn't use his British passport. They didn't tell us if we could have gone in the EU queue line or not.

That's correct, I looked at the link and it doesn't specify which queue we should get in. In the past we've always gone in the non EU queue but my DH was questioned about why he didn't use his British passport. They didn't tell us if we could have gone in the EU queue line or not.

Did you email the UK Border Agency and ask the question as it is something they will be able to answer not lay persons on this forum.

Did you email the UK Border Agency and ask the question as it is something they will be able to answer not lay persons on this forum.
I admire the optimism about whether a simple email query will produce an answer about this that's any more reliable than the personal real-life experiences of those who've actually done it themselves at Heathrow.

You should be fine to use the EU queue together as you're married.

But the immigration officer was entirely correct to ask the question of your husband. There's no reason why he can't use his British passport if he's with you in the non-EU queue, and there are many good reasons why he should. I've done this on many occasions over the years, accompanying other people who have to use the non-EU queue.

Thanks for your reply, I think we'll try the EU queue, the worst that could happen is they make me go in the non-EU queue. If they do my DH can go ahead and get our luggage while he waits for me.

I have dual citizenship (Canada & UK) with a British spouse. I use my UK passport to enter but the EU queue mainly uses reading machines now so you may not be able to use that. There is usually someone at passport control who will be able to direct you to the line you should be in. I've just returned from Canada to Gatwick and the EU queue was all reading machines.

I was at Manchester airport, UK earlier this week in the EU queue.

A husband and wife were behind me. She had a UK passport, her husband was Israeli.

He was sent to the non EU passport area, because of course he didn't have one.

There is a report in today’s paper that the boss of London Heathrow Airport thinks that Americans should be allowed to use the passport control e-gates currently used by UK and EU passport holders, in order to speed things up. So the situation might change!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a report in today’s paper that the boss of London Heathrow Airport thinks that Americans should be allowed to use the passport control e-gates currently used by UK and EU passport holders, in order to speed things up. So the situation might change!

Can they do this by next week ? ;p