North Korea Concerns and NCL Jewel March Sailing

dorika

I’d still book. The cruiseline will not send a cruiseship anywhere they deem unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Though nothing short of an actual military action would stop me from going to a "war zone," I think the prevalent fear in this discussion is not that anyone is going to intentionally bomb a cruise ship. Rather, the big fear may be that South Korea may suffer a nuclear attack (fairly unrealistic given the available countermeasures).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were supposed to depart from Istanbul last year; moved to Civitavecchia.

We were supposed to have a day in Port Said. Cancelled; an overnight in Haifa.

All NCL cruises have been removed from stops due in South Korea.

NCL is very proactive in not entering problem areas. I wonder if they will do the same and avoid the northern portion of the Yellow Sea.

We live on Guam, a 3 hour flight from Korea and Japan. North Korea has been threatening to bomb us for YEARS. Not one of my military friends have relocated their families because of this years threats. For that mater none of my military friends have relocated their families stationed in South Korea. We continue to fly in and out of Soul in route to Europe and anywhere else with the best price, code share, etc...
Which answers the OP's mention that this is all happening "ever since our president came into office". His threats have been going on for years not months. I hate politics.

I'd book. As a matter of fact, my wife and I just returned from a week in Korea back in late October/early November. Even went to the DMZ and was only about 150 feet away from where the North Korean soldier defected about 10 days after we were there. I doubt NCL would put you in harms way. Korea is a fascinating country with beautiful landscapes, rich history and interesting people.

If you go with an open mind and prepare for perhaps some itinerary changes, it will be a great cruise.

Simple answer....

Statistically, you'll be fine.

If you're at all concerned, and you'll be worrying for the duration of the trip, don't book.

Don't expect the cabin stewards or waiters to be "an army".

Although NCL will try to stay away from danger, there are no guarantees, ever. Just ask the Klinghoffer family.

You certainly have a point about the "quick spiral" with our new administration. If you don't count the 77 official "incidents" (many involving murder of US citizens) that took place prior to 2014, its evident that it is all new. Neville Chamberlin would applaud your concern. I think we should apologize and send the Kim Jong-Un a 10.5 million dollar gift.

You certainly have a point about the "quick spiral" with our new administration. If you don't count the 77 official "incidents" (many involving murder of US citizens) that took place prior to 2014, its evident that it is all new. Neville Chamberlin would applaud your concern. I think we should apologize and send the Kim Jong-Un a 10.5 million dollar gift.

So we have digressed to the point of venturing the opinion of Wilt Chamberlin's father?