Regarding Half Moon Cay

beachbum53

I know the policy regarding what NOT to take off of the ship when in port. But does anyone know for sure if this is also enforced when going to HMC? Specifically, are you allowed to take fresh fruit off of the ship when heading to the beach on HMC? I can' t imagine any harm being done to the island's environment if someone grabs a couple of bananas or apples from the buffet to bring with them.

HMC is part of the Bahamas, and they set the rules (laws.) I do expect Carnival will enforce the local laws as best they can.

Just take granola or crackers and forget the fruit!

Edit: last time I went to HMC, the ship brought lunch over. Do they still do that? If so, you won't have to worry about bringing food.

They always have a nice buffet lunch with many choices, no need to take food off the ship.

And yes, bring your own beach floats, toys, etc. We always take our own snorkel gear with us when we cruise. Especially for places like HMC and Grand Turk. Free day snorkeling and love it.

I know that food is brought over from the ship for lunch, and I was pretty sure that fruit was brought over too. But, if a passenger brings fruit from the breakfast buffet, how is that any different than when the staff brings fruit over for the lunch buffet? It all comes from the same storage area on the ship. And, for a light snack before lunch is served, some fresh fruit is far more preferable than granola or crackers.

But, if a passenger brings fruit from the breakfast buffet, how is that any different than when the staff brings fruit over for the lunch buffet?

Staff works for Carnival, who has special permission to bring food ashore, and you don't. In reality, perhaps nobody cares there. HMC is basically sand and scrub brush, so no agriculture to consider. All you can do is try and see what happens.

Still, when the ship brings it for you, why do you want to bring it too?:confused:

Staff works for Carnival, who has special permission to bring food ashore, and you don't. In reality, perhaps nobody cares there. HMC is basically sand and scrub brush, so no agriculture to consider. All you can do is try and see what happens.

Still, when the ship brings it for you, why do you want to bring it too?:confused:

Because, if we eat breakfast at 7:30, prior to going over to the island, and lunch isn't served until around noon, there's a good chance we might get a little hungry somewhere in between. Some physical activity, like swimming, does tend to work up a bit of an appetite.

Because, if we eat breakfast at 7:30, prior to going over to the island, and lunch isn't served until around noon, there's a good chance we might get a little hungry somewhere in between. Some physical activity, like swimming, does tend to work up a bit of an appetite.

Think you can probably bring over some fruit

Thanks!

That's perfect because I scored some over the winter for 70 cents. LOL

Same here! CVS had their 90% off in September for their leftover summer things. I bought 4 for about $1.50 each, brought them to HMC, blew them up there on the beach. I found a few kids that we gave them to when we left.

Actually, that's what you intended to do all along but you just wanted someone else to give you "permission" to do it.

No, I wasn't looking for permission from anyone. You've apparently misunderstood my original post.

Same here! CVS had their 90% off in September for their leftover summer things. I bought 4 for about $1.50 each, brought them to HMC, blew them up there on the beach. I found a few kids that we gave them to when we left.

That's what I'm planning on doing. No way am I bringing them back on the ship!

it is a valid point, if our fruit is coming from the ship, then why not take it off for snacks.

an extended buffet on the island? not with Carnival, overcooked hamburgers, underdone hotdogs, and jerk chicken (questionable) it all tastes all right because you are on an island in the Bahamas, and you have been out swimming and walking, and hunger is the best seasoning. That said, I may stay on the ship to eat lunch the next time I am there, and then leave for the island after a guys burger. :D