How to get from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale Cruise port

Sharon Sails

Does anyone know the best way to get from Orlando to the RCCL port in Ft. Lauderdale? We don't want to leave our car there, as we are staying in London a few days and then flying back into Orlando airport. Our daughter is picking us up at MCO when we return, so we have to find a way to the cruise port. Any ideas?:confused:

Does anyone know the best way to get from Orlando to the RCCL port in Ft. Lauderdale? We don't want to leave our car there, as we are staying in London a few days and then flying back into Orlando airport. Our daughter is picking us up at MCO when we return, so we have to find a way to the cruise port. Any ideas?:confused:

Rent a car in Orlando and turn it in at the Ft. Lauderdale airport, then take a cab for the 5 minute ride from airport to cruise port.

Well we are doing the same thing so we are hiring a car. You can collect it from one place and deliver it to another. So we are collecting from Miami, driving to Orlando for a week, then driving back to Fort Lauderdale and handing the car back there.

Fly, MCO to FLL

You do realize that from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale is about 3-4 hour drive?

Fly into FLL instead, that way you will be there.

You do realize that from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale is about 3-4 hour drive?

Fly into FLL instead, that way you will be there.

If you look at her location, she lives in Florida. She's not flying to get there.

I'm in Orlando... trying to find the best option for getting to Ft. Lauderdale - we're flying back into MCO, and don't want to pay for 16 days at the airport pkg. Our daughter is going to pick us up at MCO after we fly back from London. It looks to me like our ONLY option is to rent a car. We'll have an hour drive to the airport (we live out in the burbs) to pick up a car, drive back home, leave our car here, then head out to Ft. Lauderdale. Just a real pain. Thanks for your advice, though. I'll start looking at rental cars-may have to pick one up the night BEFORE the cruise.

Sharon

I'm in Orlando... trying to find the best option for getting to Ft. Lauderdale - we're flying back into MCO, and don't want to pay for 16 days at the airport pkg. Our daughter is going to pick us up at MCO after we fly back from London. It looks to me like our ONLY option is to rent a car. We'll have an hour drive to the airport (we live out in the burbs) to pick up a car, drive back home, leave our car here, then head out to Ft. Lauderdale. Just a real pain. Thanks for your advice, though. I'll start looking at rental cars-may have to pick one up the night BEFORE the cruise.

Sharon

Many towns/cities have car rental agencies "in town" rather than simply at the airport, so you may not have to drive all the way to the airport to simply pick up a car. I've got one about 2 miles from home - handy for one day when my car was in the repair shop. It is definitely worth looking into as another option.

Also look into Connect 2 Cruise bus service:

http://www.connect2cruise.com/rates.php?ratetype=oneway

At $65pp it may not be the cheapest option, but it is yet another alternative. Leaves from Orlando in the morning, getting you to Fort Lauderdale in time for lunch onboard. Perhaps an option if you can get yourself to one of the public pick-up points.

• 6 years later...

Want to warn people (altho most people I feel are smarter than me) about the difficulty of getting from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale by public transportation if you are going from one cruise ship to another. I had booked one cruise in Orlando and then another in Fort Lauderdale the day the first ship returned as when I googled it, I saw that it was only three hours plus to get Orlando so booked it thinking I can very easily get there not thinking that I was to relying on public transportation and not driving directly to get there. (The roommate for the second cruise wanted to go to one of the ports on the second cruise which they took off the second cruise otherwise I would have taken the second also out of Port Canaveral!!)

I found out to my chagrin, that a bus transport service that would go from port to port would leave Orlando before my first cruise would return, Greyhound which made many stops would arrive after, the train would be too slow, however I mistakingly rejoiced when I saw a Florida based airline, Silver Wings, would fly from MCO to FLL, leaving at 1:40 it would get there at 2:45, and it takes less than 15 min to get to the port (had to check in by 4.) It was cutting it close but I would definitely make it (at least get in line waay before 4), this was a Fl. based airline with no flight originating in the bad weather east and I had trip insurance for delays. I was at the airport early and to my horror as I am waiting in line, I see the flight time change from 1:40 to 2:40. I quickly called my travel insurance company to see if they will cover the cost of a taxi (yes, I am from CA, L.A. no less, but I stopped driving when I was traumatized by hitting a motorcyclist-he was so obviously at fault that the cop apologized when giving me the ticket, said he HAD to do it as I hit him, but for me to fight it, but he never turned the ticket in!) but they would cover it ONLY if the flight was delayed more than five hours and this was only ONE hour. I did not think of a car service driving me down although I did think of a taxi but none could go there. I called the cruise ship saying I am sure that I could make it by 4:30 but was told that if I got there one minute after 4 they would not let me check in. (On most of my other ships, there were many that had left late, and I had been told that sometimes it was delayed for passengers but not sure, but it could be for passengers on cruiseship air tickets or a group delay, so foolishly I thought despite what I was told that they may wait.) Around that time also, the flight departure time was changed to twenty minutes earlier leaving at 2:20 PM so I thought I could still make it.

Well, Murphy's law being what it is, it did leave closer to 2:40, Silver Wings (NEVER take this airline) does not let you put the carryon on the airplane where I could have sprinted off the plane as soon as it landed, but in a separate hold from checked bags (and the crew unloading it was delayed) and the car service that I DID hire in FLL so I would not have to look for a taxi was not there and had to wait at least five minutes. I got there 10 minutes before the ship was to depart but the gangplank was pulled and the people would not radio the ship (probably wouldn't have mattered anyway.)

If you are so foolish as I to book two cruise from two different ports on the same, than a cheaper alternative than flying to the second port and staying in the hotel awaiting arrival of the ship (and you have extra hassle with immigration) is either Lyfting or going on Craigslist under ride share. Often when I travel I put an ad in the personals section and meet a man that I have dinner and sitesee with, but for some reason although there were many ads for people to transport long distances I was hesitent. Do NOT take Silver Wings and if you are in FLL do NOT take Fernando's Limo, not only does he gouge chargng twice as much as the other companies, but he does not use licensed chauffers in company cars, the guy picking me up told me he was a friend of the owner's using his own car, I might as well have hired Uber/Lyft for half the cost of a taxi instead of something that cost 4 x more (and then the cc showed even a higher price that I am disputing and to add insult to injury, he was not there waiting for me (the whole point of hiring them) and those 5 minutes waiting for him (may have made a HUGE difference!) Even if you have been on ships that HAVE waited for passengers, NEVER, EVER think that it will happen for you, because I experienced it in the past, I thought that was a possiblilty and literally had to pay a huge price for that thought.

Edited by evagoblin

when I saw a Florida based airline, Silver Wings, would fly from MCO to FLL

Silver Wings (NEVER take this airline)

Do NOT take Silver Wings

There is no such airline as Silver Wings, that was an old United Airlines program for seniors. I believe that you are referring to Silver AIRWAYS.

• 4 months later...