New to cruising - have questions

I am sure many of these have been answered and I have tried to find answers in going through other's posts. Maybe my questions are a bit too basic. I am interested in knowing which restaurants, cafes, etc. are free with no charge. I thought I read that some have charges for specialty drinks (coffee) but have free food that you may get. How do you know which ones? Also was reading a post about Solarium breakfast which sounded like a quiet spot. Is this a free venue or do you pay. Also noted that the dining room lunches have a buffet too? Is this less crowded. I will be traveling with a spouse with low immune system so trying to find places that perhaps would not be as crowded. Would appreciate any information you could help me with. We will be on Freedom of the Seas. Thank you.

Solarium and the dining room will definitely be less crowded at breakfast. Dining room will be closed for lunch on port days. However, Freedom does not have a Solarium cafe. Also, you can do continental type breakfast thru room service at no charge. Sorrentos and cafe promenade are free venues.

Cafe Promenade has 24 hour pastries, cookies, finger sandwiches, std. coffee, tea, hot chocolate, ice water(self pour, no bottled) for free.

Specialty coffees, lattes, cappuccinos, smoothies are NOT free.

As stated above, free food will be in the Windjammer buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner. Although with an immune disorder you may want to avoid that area. You will also be able to find 24hour snacks in the Café Promenade. They also have complimentary water, tea and coffee. Any specialty coffee is an extra fee. The best place for you for breakfast and dinner is the main dining room. They are specific times though. Lunch is in the main dining room only on sea days. Every day on your cruise compass the times will be listed for all dining venues and if there is an additional fee it will show a $ next to it. Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome to your new addiction.

As far as your questions go, some have already been answered so hopefully I don't repeat them.

I am interested in knowing which restaurants, cafes, etc. are free with no charge.

..........Basically, the main dining room (MDR), windjammer(WJ a buffet), promenade cafe and continental breakfast room service is free. Chops, Johnny Rockets etc.. would be for-fee restaurants. If you decide you want room service, then it's an a$7.95 fee, not per item, but per delivery (as I understand it). Anything that has a cost should tell you.

..........MDR usually offers a lunch on sea days. They have one of my favorites, a salad bar that has many more options than WJ and they prepare it for you. VERY nice. You can also go to MDR for breakfast each morning as well. With MDR (any meal) you can order as much or as little as you want.

..........Drinks - Basically, water, hot coffee, hot & cold tea and lemonade is free. Everything else either costs by the glass/cup or is part of a drink package.

Lastly, if you haven't already, do find your meet & mingle thread with the link below. This will give you a chance to chat with others on your sailing. You usually get alot of experienced cruisers that are always happy to help you.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Enjoy.

Erika