Diamonds international

DANDARE

Hi,just wondered if anyone has experience of buying diamond stud earrings from Diamonds International in the Caribbean? My wife would very much like to buy a pair on our next cruise abroad, but she has heard that the shops allow customers to try on earrings before they buy them and is concerned about health issues surrounding this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dandare

Agreed - use alcohol wipes to sanitize first and trying on shouldn't be a concern.

However, getting good quality diamonds in a secure setting would be cause for concern. Make sure you know what you are doing. We did a lot of research and shopping before we bought a diamond ring. We negotiated the price with Diamonds International and had the ring appraised by a certified gemologist upon our return. I've been wearing it for six years and couldn't be happier.

Don't try on any earrings unless you really clean them well.

KNOW everything you can about diamonds and settings! Often these stores will cheapen the prongs/settings and you can lose your stone before you know it. The salespeople can tell if you understand grading... and many will use it to their advantage.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought diamond studs there in cabo on my recent trip - I was told they were a certain quality and color on the certificate and I paid $750 for them. When I got home I had them appraised and they were much lower color and quality and appraised at $350. So beware. Make sure you know your stuff or don't buy from them. I assumed because they were recommended and PROMOTED by the cruise line they were safe. Untrue.

I bought diamond studs there in cabo on my recent trip - I was told they were a certain quality and color on the certificate and I paid $750 for them. When I got home I had them appraised and they were much lower color and quality and appraised at $350. So beware. Make sure you know your stuff or don't buy from them. I assumed because they were recommended and PROMOTED by the cruise line they were safe. Untrue.

If you still have your receipt, there should be some recourse through the cruise line if you went to a cruise line recommended store.

The cruise lines have a guarantee if you purchased from one of their recommended stores. It's a 60 day guarantee from date of the purchase.

For purposes of determining quality and value of jewelry related to a buyer's complaint, only appraisals secured by a buyer from independent graduate gemologists, not affiliated with any retail jeweler, will be acceptable. If you have copy of any of the info you receive re: shopping ashore for any port they do have the guarantee info in print.

We were on the Infinity ended 4/26 in Ft. Laud. and on the ship they

stressed the guarantees.

For Royal Caribbean contact:

Customer Relations Department at Onboard Media phone 800-396-2999

or email: shopping issues @onboard.com

Info. needed include name of ship, cruise date, store name and merchandise problem.

Also enclose a copy of the sales receipt and any relevant documents relating to the sale. Onboard Media will contact the recommended store on your behalf for repair or replacement, and you will be notified accordingly.

Try contacting Diamonds International re: your appraisal problem if it's

within their return policy should you want to return the item.

Info. if from the Celebrity Discover Shopping Ashore brochure.

Good luck.

Another lesson learned. Please spread the word to others who feel buying diamonds or any jewelry of value while cruising is the way to get a "deal". You can find a reputable jeweler in the states who will truly guarantee your purchase, as well as offer a fair price.

Buying a "fun souvenier" piece is fine. As long as you can afford spending the money and are not looking for some great "deal", go for it. Then you won't feel taken if things don't hold up or are not what they seemed.

Be careful and know what you're buying. There have been a number of rip offs even at places as well known as DI. You really, really need to know your diamonds. And we've found their "guarantees" can sometimes mean absolutely nothing.

What a load of rubbish (not disputing the colour). Do you not think there is a difference between buying and selling prices. For example, if you buy a brand new car for say $10000, register it and drive off the forecourt do you still think its worth $10000, absolutley not. I am not defending any diamond shops, but come on, be realistic before you critisise them. Go into your loal jeweler and buy a Rolex or Cartier or whatever watch, take then for an appraisal and see how must it has dropped in price, please people, get real. And no I don't think $400 is an over the top profiton an item that may cost $350.

When they do an appraisal, generally they are talking about the replacement value of the item - so you should not see the depreciation

ovccruiser mentions. We bought jewery aboard ship as well as some emeralds in San Juan. We bought what we liked, concerned that we were taking a chance, but when we got home the appraisal was double what we had paid. Its definately buyer beware though and although we were lucky - thats all it was - luck!

What a load of rubbish (not disputing the colour). Do you not think there is a difference between buying and selling prices. For example, if you buy a brand new car for say $10000, register it and drive off the forecourt do you still think its worth $10000, absolutley not. I am not defending any diamond shops, but come on, be realistic before you critisise them. Go into your loal jeweler and buy a Rolex or Cartier or whatever watch, take then for an appraisal and see how must it has dropped in price, please people, get real. And no I don't think $400 is an over the top profiton an item that may cost $350.

Of course, there is a difference between buying and selling prices. With jewelry, however, the appraisal value should be about twice the selling price as a rule of thumb. So, if you bought a diamond ring for $1,000, it should appraise at about $2,000 - not that you would ever get that much money for it if you were to sell it, but that's what it should appraise for. I've never seen jewelry appraise at LESS than the selling price ever.

Jewelry does not "depreciate" once you buy it like a car (and I don't consider a watch to be jewelry per se unless there is some intrinsic value such as a solid gold watch) - on the contrary, it very often increases in value. DH bought me a string of Mikimoto pearls some years ago for about $300, it appraised (for insurance purposes) last year for $1,800.

I don't know where you get your Rolex watches, but they most certainly DO increase in price the older they get. Have you been to any auctions of fine jewelry lately? There have been a few Patek's that have brought in 7 figure bids. I know what I paid for my Rolex years ago and what they charge for the exact same watch now, and it's doubled in price. Same for my Patek Phillippe---that watch has more than doubled in price in the last 10 years.

Cars and jewelry are not the same. Of course a car depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot, but jewelry does not depreciate.

Hi,just wondered if anyone has experience of buying diamond stud earrings from Diamonds International in the Caribbean? My wife would very much like to buy a pair on our next cruise abroad, but she has heard that the shops allow customers to try on earrings before they buy them and is concerned about health issues surrounding this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dandare

I am a jeweler and I do not buy any diamonds in a foreign countries, I like some gold pieces but not that much. Be very careful in buying diamonds outside the ship, Diamonds international are Not the way to buy the best diamonds, the grades are not that good. You need to ask a diamond broker or buyer in the states what to look for and for them to show you how to read the diamond with an eye piece. Do not be convinced to let you buy this because of the price.

For example. My friends daughter was engaged last year on our ship... Mariner of the Seas and he wanted to get her diamond studd earrings at the diamond international, St. Thomas, I told him I could get them for her for half the cost at a broker I knew in my area. He said No I like these.

I will get them for her there. Well when he got home the diamonds were not really good they were cheapest grade and yellow Not a blue or white cut rounded and he was ranting and raving how beautiful they were he loved the way they looked on her bright sparkling and cost him 4000.00 for them. He flew back the next two days later wanting his money back after he had it appraised from a local dealer in NYC from his father in law who works with my sister who is a diamond broker.

They were had, the diamond international told him he got what he paid for the earrings in the states were worth no more than 900.00. So be very careful when it comes to buying diamonds from those places. You get what you pay for, You want cheap they will sell you cheap you want somthing awesome and wonderful you will get it but under no means it will be cheaper than the states. Chips are chips not worth nothing the diamond business is a big mark up and not worth it to me. I rather buy local and cheap then to spend alot of money for somthing that is only worth it for the person who is using and enjoying it, diamonds are forever but not on a resale value they are not worth anything big.

Be careful and know what you're buying. There have been a number of rip offs even at places as well known as DI. You really, really need to know your diamonds. And we've found their "guarantees" can sometimes mean absolutely nothing.

totally right I went there last year with the friend for the earrings and I felt that they did not look as great as he showed them off for her to wear. I said can I see it with my eye piece he said No. well you get wha tyou pay for , personally I think that all DI are rip offs so I would rather buy my diamonds from De Beers and get a diamond from a great source pay alittle but get exacltly what i was paying for a good to better investment.

The best grade is Blue or Blue White or White. We sell these at my father in laws shop in NYC. Now, if they try telling you oh those do not exsist they are fools I have been in this business for more than 40 years. The grades are different and they change daily.

FS and 1, 2 3 is the best grade, its the way the cut is. I prefer Round it has more sparkles, but some chose the pear cut not as many facets. This info below is from my families business I am sharing them with you...

Also if they are not registered witht the American Gem Society then they do not carry the best Diamonds, cause Diamond International is also in every state. Even in Florida where the cruise ships come in, They are in Orlando, Tampa Miami and Jacksonville.

You can check to see if they are on this list. IF they are they need to show you that Registration that they are associated with them, if not walk away... this is the highest standard you have to get in order to buy or sell diamonds in the states. if they are then you have your answer. but not all places carry this registration.

Also use a Jewelers Loop to look for imperfections

the Four Cs Of Diamonds

Diamond Color

When jewelers speak of a diamond's color, they are usually referring to the presence or absence of color in white diamonds. Color is a result of the composition of the diamond, and it never changes over time.

Because a colorless diamond, like a clear window, allows more light to pass through it than a colored diamond, colorless diamonds emit more sparkle and fire. The formation process of a diamond ensures that only a few, rare diamonds are truly colorless. Thus the whiter a diamond's color, the greater its value.

diamondbuyingguidepoint.gif Diamonds graded G through I show virtually no color that is visible to the untrained eye.

[NOTE: Fancy color diamonds do not follow this rule. These diamonds, which are very rare and very expensive, can be any color from blue to green to bright yellow. They are actually more valuable for their color.]

To grade 'whiteness' or colorlessness, most jewelers refer to GIA's professional color scale that begins with the highest rating of D for colorless, and travels down the alphabet to grade stones with traces of very faint or light yellowish or brownish color. The color scale continues all the way to Z.

diamond-color.gif

Which Color Grade Should I Choose?

Diamonds graded D through F are naturally the most valuable and desirable because of their rarity. Such diamonds are a treat for the eyes of anyone. But you can still obtain very attractive diamonds that are graded slightly less than colorless. And diamonds graded G through I show virtually no color that is visible to the untrained eye.

Color of diamonds, Imperfections of specks of black is not good, so do not buy, and shadings of white or grey is a sign of bad diamonds.

Best ones are Colorless D, E, F nearl colorless, G, H, I

And while a very, very faint hint of yellow will be apparent in diamonds graded J through M, this color can often be minimized by carefully selecting the right jewelry in which to mount your diamond. Keep in mind that, while most people strive to buy the most colorless diamond they can afford, there are many people who actually prefer the warmer glow of lower-color diamonds. What is Flourescence?

Fluorescence is an effect that is seen in some gem-quality diamonds when they are exposed to long-wave ultraviolet light (such as the lighting frequently seen in dance clubs). Under most lighting conditions, this fluorescence is not detectable to the eye. While most gemologists prefer diamonds without this effect, some people enjoy it. It's really just a matter of aesthetics.

Transcript: How to Avoid Buying a Fake Diamond

Hello, I am Nanami Shiiki from Silvers Jewelry in New York and today I am going to tell you how to avoid buying a fake diamond.

Buy Diamonds From Established Jewelers

The most important first step in buying a diamond ring and to avoid buying a fake is to purchase from a jeweler that you know and trust. You should look for someone who has a long standing reputation in the community, who is an established jeweler and is often times a member of the American Gem Society. To be a member of the American Gem Society you need to withhold certain standards and need to have certain credentials.

Assess the Diamond Reflection

When you are looking at a diamond versus a synthetic stone you will notice that diamonds reflect light differently. And often times with a synthetic stone when moved at certain angles you will find spots that have dead areas that are not reflecting light in the same way - which may be a little hard to tell on camera but in person you will be able to tell the difference. A diamond has a brilliance like no other stone, so when you are looking at a cubic zirconia or another man made type diamond it will generally look quite a bit different in person.

Examine the Diamond Up Close

The next step in looking at a diamond would be under a jeweler’s looth or a microscope, and under magnification of about 10 times natural vision you should be able to see some imperfections in most diamonds. As you are moving the stone around look for small black spots or white imperfections, this will tell you that the stone is not a synthetic. I hope this helps you all to understand that buying a diamond is a big investment and costly one if you get the wrong color or the grade and also when cleaning have them clean in front of you cause I have seen the switch and bait in the back rooms on the rings it happens all the time how would you know?:confused:

I agree with the last few posts!! D.I. has a very poor reputation on these boards, for making good on customer complaints.

Further, I do not know why cruise ships still recommend the company, UNLESS there is a kickback involved.

john

I agree with the last few posts!! D.I. has a very poor reputation on these boards, for making good on customer complaints.

Further, I do not know why cruise ships still recommend the company, UNLESS there is a kickback involved.

john

Sure they do get a kick back why would they send us poor people or those of you who do not know anything about their products, the best bet is get something that you like Keep the diamonds at home and buy what you think you like in Colored stones, They are not as pretty but the cost can go from cheap 100.00 to thousands of dollars., I love Sapphires and the Zircon but I can get my agent who buys for me from DeBeers a better deal then those at DI, my advice to all who want to buy somthing from the islands get yourself a really nice Crystal pieces, Lace or Purses and Find better selection of diamonds from a dealer in the states, you may pay alittle more but your quality is much better and who are you going to complain to like that other gentleman who got ripped off and they said they could not even help him, do you all think that this was fair to him not so.

Alright I said my peace, now lets go and have fun... Any more questions on jewelry, just ask me I wont bite. i will be on the Lido deck with my weaved glass beaded bracelets that I make for the teenagers as a side kick';)

Linda

The top grade of diamond clarity is, I believe, FL (flawless) under 10x loupe magnification - not FS 1 2 or 3. I also believe it's followed by IF (internally flawless), although there may be some surface flaws under 10x loupe. Both grades are quite rare.

Next level down is VVS 1 and 2 (very, very slight inclusions).

Next VS 1 - 2 (very slight).

SI 1 - 3 (slightly included) are what most jewelers seem to be selling. Bottom is I 1 - 3 (included).

I would never buy a diamond of less than VS 1 - 2 clarity.

Colours start at D - E - F (colorless) through G - H - I - J (near colorless) and then proceed down the alphabet.

Cut doesn't just refer to the shape (round aka brilliant cut versus marquise, emerald, etc.) but also how well that cutting has been executed.

Carat measures weight, and there are 5 carats to a gram, 100 points to a carat.

I agree with RHIL that it's essential the item you're buying doesn't leave your sight after you commit to purchase, and cleaning is done in front of you.

I would buy my diamonds at Walmart or Target before I would buy from DI. Not only are they dishonest.. they are rude.

I was looking for a 14K gold charm with a Caribbean theme. In March I stopped by the DI in Barbados, the one in the cruise terminal. There were 3 employees leaning on the counters visiting with each other. I asked one woman if they had charms. She pointed to the person next to her who pointed to the person across the aisle. Not one of them said single word to me. After the third "point" I said to them "forget it" and walked out. They still did not utter a word.

I complained to the shopping expert on the Maasdam and she did not seem surprised or even very interested. Her comment was "Well, you know that they are forced to hire locals?" Uh what??? That really doesn't have much to do with the issue. I'll never step into another DI. Save your money and look for a good bargain at home.

Ok - so update to my issue. YES I contacted DI and YES I contacted RCI and YES I contacted OnBoard - my issue has been resolved with DI agreeing to refund the difference in price between my purchase and the appraisal.

To the poster who suggested that I was being ridiculous in my claim. I'm not being ridiculous and I agree with those that have said that jewelery is not like cars. It was appraised for replacement and insurance purposes. It should have appraised for at least as much as I paid for it.

So for those wondering if DI is ok to buy from. I have known people that have had great luck and those that have had bad luck - but they did come through for me. Would I buy from them again - maybe - if I was really diligent and researched it first and knew the price. I bought a Movado there a few years ago and it was a good deal. But I'm not sure I completely think it's worth the risk in the future.

I am a jeweler and I do not buy any diamonds in a foreign countries, I like some gold pieces but not that much. Be very careful in buying diamonds outside the ship, Diamonds international are Not the way to buy the best diamonds, the grades are not that good. You need to ask a diamond broker or buyer in the states what to look for and for them to show you how to read the diamond with an eye piece. Do not be convinced to let you buy this because of the price.

For example. My friends daughter was engaged last year on our ship... Mariner of the Seas and he wanted to get her diamond studd earrings at the diamond international, St. Thomas, I told him I could get them for her for half the cost at a broker I knew in my area. He said No I like these.

I will get them for her there. Well when he got home the diamonds were not really good they were cheapest grade and yellow Not a blue or white cut rounded and he was ranting and raving how beautiful they were he loved the way they looked on her bright sparkling and cost him 4000.00 for them. He flew back the next two days later wanting his money back after he had it appraised from a local dealer in NYC from his father in law who works with my sister who is a diamond broker.

They were had, the diamond international told him he got what he paid for the earrings in the states were worth no more than 900.00. So be very careful when it comes to buying diamonds from those places. You get what you pay for, You want cheap they will sell you cheap you want somthing awesome and wonderful you will get it but under no means it will be cheaper than the states. Chips are chips not worth nothing the diamond business is a big mark up and not worth it to me. I rather buy local and cheap then to spend alot of money for somthing that is only worth it for the person who is using and enjoying it, diamonds are forever but not on a resale value they are not worth anything big.

You are a jeweler? Were you joking in that post where you said you are a funeral director?

Ok - so update to my issue. YES I contacted DI and YES I contacted RCI and YES I contacted OnBoard - my issue has been resolved with DI agreeing to refund the difference in price between my purchase and the appraisal.

To the poster who suggested that I was being ridiculous in my claim. I'm not being ridiculous and I agree with those that have said that jewelery is not like cars. It was appraised for replacement and insurance purposes. It should have appraised for at least as much as I paid for it.

So for those wondering if DI is ok to buy from. I have known people that have had great luck and those that have had bad luck - but they did come through for me. Would I buy from them again - maybe - if I was really diligent and researched it first and knew the price. I bought a Movado there a few years ago and it was a good deal. But I'm not sure I completely think it's worth the risk in the future.

Thanks for coming back and updating here. So many people posts their complaints about different issues without coming back.

I have made 3 purchases with DI or TI and have been satisfied with all 3 purchases, but I don't buy real pricy pieces and I do a ton of shopping around before making a purchase. I look at these stores similar to how I view a car dealership, some salespeople are honest and reliable, others, not so much.

I'm glad you got a satisfactory resolution to your problem.

Archived