Legend of the Seas Cancellation Ripoff

We too are waiting to hear from RCCL re: cancelled cruise 9 April 2017.

Flights from uk hotels in Australia and Hong Kong were arranged around cruise.

We have transferred to Sydney departure on same date . 5 days shorter but virtually same cost. So 5 days extra accommodation costs and flights Sydney to Hong Kong have had to be arranged.

Compensation... $ 200 Obc promised but lost the $150 from original sailing.

$300 each for flight changes .. Doesn't cover cost.

In original announcement stated would discuss hotel arrangements but no luck yet they keep referring us back to our TA ( cruise.com) who keep referring us back to rccl.

I'm currently working my way up the chain of command.!

5 past cruises with rccl and 5 booked. Glad they reward loyalty so well!!!!!

Booking flights through the cruise line was not an option.:confused::mad:

We too are waiting to hear from RCCL re: cancelled cruise 9 April 2017.

Flights from uk hotels in Australia and Hong Kong were arranged around cruise.

We have transferred to Sydney departure on same date . 5 days shorter but virtually same cost. So 5 days extra accommodation costs and flights Sydney to Hong Kong have had to be arranged.

Compensation... $ 200 Obc promised but lost the $150 from original sailing.

$300 each for flight changes .. Doesn't cover cost.

In original announcement stated would discuss hotel arrangements but no luck yet they keep referring us back to our TA ( cruise.com) who keep referring us back to rccl.

I'm currently working my way up the chain of command.!

5 past cruises with rccl and 5 booked. Glad they reward loyalty so well!!!!!

Booking flights through the cruise line was not an option.:confused::mad:

The $150 OBC from the original cruise is something that you should be able to argue with them, imo.

I may be wrong but the contract with signature is not turned in until you board right? so if the cruise is cancelled before boarding has the purchaser really agreed to the policy yet?

The fact that you signed up, and paid a deposit, creates an implied acceptance to the terms.

Normally I don't respond to threads like this, especially when it appears that the rest of the gang has somehow decided that it is your fault that RCCL canceled the cruise. This is clearly something they did to you and just because you don't fit into the tight parameters of what they deem to be "policy" that you are just supposed to give up. This was RCCLs fault and I think they need to fix it. So, either write ( I don't have the address handy) or e-mail to the executive offices ( I have used these in the past)

rfain@rccl.com; mbayley@rccl.com; agoldstein@rccl.com and see if they are more reasonable. If these are not current e-mails for the executive team, then post another thread on here and get the proper e-mail and send them your issue. This seems like a no-brainer to me. RCCL should give you the $$$. Or, you could just call customer service back and see if you get a different answer. Or, you could call a C&A number (sorry, don't have that either) and see if they can help. I am a little surprised the Cruise Critic gang isn't being more helpful. Let us know how it goes.

Good post RCCL cause your issue and the amount of money is NOTHING to them, perhaps it is a over site and not adjusting to booking methods that needs to be corrected.

The President of RCCL is Mr. Bayley (mbayley@rccl.com). I did get a reply from one of his representatives. But even Mr. Bayley was unwilling or "unable" to refund my OOP expenses based on "company policy". In fairness, I discovered travel insurance (depending on the company) would have probably

covered this completely unexpected event. Still, principles of good business ethics should apply here. Apparently,when it comes to the "bottom line", RCCL couldn't care less about ethical customer service! Good Luck!

One last idea, did you pay for any fees associated with your airmiles through a credit card like Chase Sapphire? They provide travel insurance for certain circumstances if you pay any portion of your transaction with your card, although I am not sure that this particular case would be covered.

That really sucks that this happened, I completely understand the anger and hostility towards the issue. I guess the question I have is they gave you a choice to rebook and they would cover the change fees. You opted to not accept even tho the policy states you get nothing then. So my question is if you paid cash for the airfare, say $1000 a piece so $2000 total, would you have let that money go or would you have rebooked? (We all know any cruise line wouldn't give a refund of the $2k for 2000 pax, but would pay change fees.)

My guess you would have rebooked something so you didn't lose that money. Same principle in my mind, whether they canceled due to weather or their own profits, they only pay change fees, no refunds. They gave you that option, you declined.

Again, situation sucks but you have to play by the rules. Maybe you will have better luck with CCL cause we all know they are a more ethical company. :p

I really feel for you - we were also booked on a Legend sailing in May next year from Dubai back to the Med and we're going to use miles for the flights, luckily we received notice of the cancellation two weeks before the window opened for reserving the airline tickets. I did have an idea that something was up with these sailings though as one day there was plenty of availability and the next it showed sold out for our cruise and cruises before it, and this was about three weeks before we received the official notice of cancellation. We were offered an alternative sailing with a lot less ports on another ship but it was the month before which we couldn't do, so we accepted the onboard credit for another cruise. I hope you manage to get a favorable resolution.

What I really don't get is why they didn't arrange a date with the new owner Thomsons so they could complete their obligation for scheduled cruises.. The ship was going to the UK as part of the repositioning, but they cancelled a couple of cruises and changed to repo date. It would have still arrived in the UK in time for the main season there.

Not good enough RCCL

What I really don't get is why they didn't arrange a date with the new owner Thomsons so they could complete their obligation for scheduled cruises.. The ship was going to the UK as part of the repositioning, but they cancelled a couple of cruises and changed to repo date. It would have still arrived in the UK in time for the main season there.

Not good enough RCCL

I totally agree that the really bad thing about this is that they didn't meet their obligations and just cancelled out two months worth of cruises (9 cruises in total) and repositioned the ship two months earlier. I know because I was due to be on the Singapore to Dubai leg in May and they moved it to March and offered us March as an alternative - which we couldn't do as we already had other commitments. We had booked whilst onboard Ovation the first week in May and were informed of the sale on 1 June. I don't think for one minute that they weren't in very advanced negotiatons in May so why on earth did they keep on selling cruises.

We had actually booked our flights only one day before we found out about the sale to Tui, here on Cruise Critic. Thankfully we were within 24 cooling off with BA so were able to cancel. Had we not seen about this on Cruise Critic but found out when we were informed by RC - a full two days later - we would have lost out on the price we paid for those flights. And a flight to Singapore and from Dubai is not an easy one to change to something else.

Whichever way you look at it this whole debacle was a really shoddy way to treat customers and I am with the OP on this one :mad:

One final comment: I usually don't buy travel insurance outside the 90 day cancellation period for cruises. I thought that was a "safe" time period where anything unforseen could be rectified by free cancellation. Obviously, that is not the case! Again, MY BAD!
This might help you in the future. I always purchase Travel insurance when I book the cruise but for a small amount usually $250.00 USD/pp. When my risk increases from buying the airfare, hotel or final payment I just call and increase the amount.