Recent Experience at Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood Suites on Pacific Hwy. in San Diego

Roz

I'm a Hilton Honors members so tend to stay at hotels in the Hilton family when I travel.

My favorite pre-cruise hotel in San Diego is the Hampton Inn on Pacific Hwy. in SD. They have an airport shuttle, breakfast is included, and I can wheel my suitcase on foot over to the cruise terminal. It's nice to be able to look out the hotel window the morning of your cruise and see your ship.

I stayed there the day before my recent Mexican Riviera cruise, but for the day after the cruise, I got a better price (points and dollars) at the new Hilton Garden Inn a couple of blocks from the Hampton. It's very unique. It shares the same building, front desk, elevators, and restaurant as the Homewood Suites. The desk clerk told me it's the only one like it in the US. I wonder if it's a prototype Hilton is experimenting with? Anyway, it's a nice hotel and I would stay there again. They don't have a shuttle, but it's so close to the airport an Uber ride is only a few dollars. Breakfast is extra, but you can also walk to Little Italy and have a breakfast panini and expresso.

Roz

I too am Hilton brand loyal and stay at their properties often. Those SD properties are very new and look awesome. They seem to be at the "far" end of where we like to hang out. I still prefer the Hilton Gas Lamp or Embassy Suites if the price is right. However, we don't tend to go one night pre-cruise. We usually go for family events at 3-4 nights so like the area closer in to Gas Lamp and Seaport Village.

Seaport Village is closing and being redeveloped....sad. A San Diego landmark will be gone.

Looks like the past managers our loosing their lease. I doubt it will be closing. But it is prime ocean front real estate so I can see the harbor district wanting more return on their property. I can see it going up to max income. However, the owners still have a lease for 30 years on the Headquarters and the Fish Market for another ten.

Just don't sell the carousel.

We also stayed once at the Hilton Hotel Karlan out in Rancho Bernardo. We brought all the kids and grandkids together two nights pre-cruise and it had the largest rooms for the best price. Beautiful grounds and golf short distance.