One note on Veendam Bermuda Cruise Gala night.

jode

It appears that wearing long pants is merely a "suggestion" as we saw two gentlemen in the MDR on Gala night wearing shorts - not even nice Bermuda shorts - one had on jean shorts and the other off white shorts. I am not the fashion police but why do people feel the need to rebel at dress codes. Shorts are only shorter pants. Both have waists, zippers etc. How uncomfortable is it to wear a pair of pants? It didn't ruin my cruise but HAL needs to do away with all "suggested attire" for gala nights or enforce what they have in place. Standards are in place to set a tone - like it or not. I don't want to see hairy legs in MDR and maybe if shorts are that important to you then the Lido is a better choice. Most men wore collared shirt and long pants, a few tuxes and a few regional dress - like Scottish plaid pant/jacket etc. Hope we can somehow keep cruising classy - otherwise it is just a Sandals on the water - which is fine for some but not for traditional cruisers.

Surprised that shorts were allowed in the dining room, have seen persons denied entry and asked to change into long pants.

While many posters say that they have seen shorts in the MDR (on Gala and other nights), or jeans on Gala night, I can honestly say that I have never seen this in 25 cruises on HAL. I HAVE seen people in jeans or shorts (on Gala night) turned away at the door. Enforcement is definitely spotty.

I agree that they need to either enforce the suggested code or do away with it. I will never understand those that feel they have to rebel because it is "their vacation". I just don't get it.

Pictures or it didn't happen. I haven't been here long but I have seen many(what seem to me) stories about dress code violators which are too outrageous to be true.

Well I didn't take a picture of the man in denim shorts but personally know the man (a neighbor of ours back home) who wore the white shorts. And he said he had no intention of changing and didn't - proof enough?

Not saying it doesn't happen..but some of the claims of what's (not supposed to be worn) are too ridiculous to be believed.

Well you did say to show pictures or it didn't happen and I was just replying that although I didn't have pictures I personally knew someone who wore shorts on the first gala night so it did happen - we didn't see him on the second gala night so I don't know what he wore.

I agree some stories are far fetched and take them lightly. But some people just don't care anymore and things we saw people wearing in the MDR on non gala nights should be worn digging a ditch in your back yard.

I feel bad for people who follow the guidelines and make an effort only to see others wearing whatever and it just brings down the cruising experience during a nice dinner. Even on non-gala nights the atmosphere and service are of a fine restaurant and if you don't want to respect that and look presentable then eat elsewhere. Just my opinion and yes it does happen as we saw.