[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:46 PM.
Tamworth, Staffordshire
31 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by kernow
Going through the canal was fabulous, I thought there was much more to see than the Panama canal and quite a different experience because there are no locks.
It took around 12 hours, when we went to bed around midnight we had stopped and were waiting with several other ships for the journey to begin. I think we entered the canal in the early hours, we got up around 7 and had just gone under the big bridge. We had an aft balcony so we had breakfast out there with a great view. The cultivated land and towns are all on one side for most of the way, the other side is just empty dessert.

We were in Concierge class and had an invite to the helipad around 10am, while we were up there we came into a big lake with a large town/city right up to the shore. Unfortunately there was no commentary which we had been expecting (someone told us that they has made an announcement early on that this was for security reasons). It would have been nice to know exactly what we were seeing, if we do it again I think I'd get a good detailed map beforehand to take.

We could see the ships ahead and behind us in the convoy, and sometimes on the narrow parts there were small local fishing boats right by us (it looked a bit dangerous for them but I guess they are used to it). At one point there was a little car ferry that timed its trip across between us and the ship behind us.

It was a really interesting 'sea' day and something we'd love to do again,

Julie
Which side of the ship is built up and which is the desert? Would you recommend a balcony cabin, as we usually go for inside?
Sydney, Australia
1,286 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by fanilow
Which side of the ship is built up and which is the desert? Would you recommend a balcony cabin, as we usually go for inside?
Sailing South, desert is on port side. Starboard sailing North.
Newquay, Cornwall, UK
2,247 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by fanilow
As above, for us the desert was on the Starboard, the developed land on the Port side.

If you have similar timings to us I would choose a balcony just because it was nice to wake up and immediately go outside to see what was going on. It was really nice to have breakfast out there and not be missing anything

Of course if you go up on deck the views are lovely too.

Julie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
23rd April 2018 Magnifica

5th November 2018 Jewel of the Seas

Constellation (Suez) Nov '17, Brilliance of the Seas(TA) Oct/Nov'16, Musica, January '16, Ventura,June '15 Splendour of the Seas(TA) April/May '15, Aurora January '15, Oasis of the Seas,September '14, Adventure of the Seas, May'14, Navigator of the Seas September'13, Brilliance of the Seas March '13 B2B, Adventure of the Seas(TA) November'12, Norwegian Jade New Year 11/12, Liberty of the Seas(TA) April '11,Adventure of the Seas Oct '10, Celebrity Eclipse July '10, Costa Luminosa New Year 09/10, Navigator of the Seas Oct '09, Vision of the Seas May '09, Explorer of the Seas April '09,Thomson Celebration Cruise New Year 08/09, Independence of the Seas cruise Aug '08, Aurora Cruise Dec '07, Concordia Oct '07, Navigator of the Seas June '07, Constellation April '07, Splendour of the Seas Oct '06, Paradise Oct '05, Caribbean Princess April '05, Voyager of the Seas Nov '03, Fascination Oct '00, Celebration March '98
St Bees
237 Posts
Joined Sep 2011
On our cruise we had 2 CC hostesses, Alexandra and Rose, both were very nice and helpful. Alexandra left at the end of our cruise (she has been promoted) and Rose was taking over as CC host for future cruises. I think she'll do a great job.

We didn't use select dining but spoke to quite a few people who did and it sounded very hit and miss as to whether it was a good experience or not.

Julie
Julie, I know Alex was leaving in Abu Dhabi but I thought she was going home on leave and I was expecting to see her in April. If she has been promoted that's great for her but we will miss her on Connie
Cobourg, On, Canada
6,680 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
The key to cruising the Suez Canal is to lower your expectations
We did the cruise from Adu Dhabi to Rome in April and had a great time
The canal itself after a couple hours is pretty boring, sand on one side and farmland on the other side , with a bridge and a number of ferries crossing it
The most interesting thing we saw was 5 black SUVs with 3 tomahawk helicopters following it

We did TA on the RCL from Baracelona to Tampa in Nov, talk about a disappointing cruise line

I really miss Celebrity after cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
Newquay, Cornwall, UK
2,247 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
Originally posted by di T
Julie, I know Alex was leaving in Abu Dhabi but I thought she was going home on leave and I was expecting to see her in April. If she has been promoted that's great for her but we will miss her on Connie
I can't remember which ship she said she was moving to, I think either Reflection or Sillouhette

Julie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
23rd April 2018 Magnifica

5th November 2018 Jewel of the Seas

Constellation (Suez) Nov '17, Brilliance of the Seas(TA) Oct/Nov'16, Musica, January '16, Ventura,June '15 Splendour of the Seas(TA) April/May '15, Aurora January '15, Oasis of the Seas,September '14, Adventure of the Seas, May'14, Navigator of the Seas September'13, Brilliance of the Seas March '13 B2B, Adventure of the Seas(TA) November'12, Norwegian Jade New Year 11/12, Liberty of the Seas(TA) April '11,Adventure of the Seas Oct '10, Celebrity Eclipse July '10, Costa Luminosa New Year 09/10, Navigator of the Seas Oct '09, Vision of the Seas May '09, Explorer of the Seas April '09,Thomson Celebration Cruise New Year 08/09, Independence of the Seas cruise Aug '08, Aurora Cruise Dec '07, Concordia Oct '07, Navigator of the Seas June '07, Constellation April '07, Splendour of the Seas Oct '06, Paradise Oct '05, Caribbean Princess April '05, Voyager of the Seas Nov '03, Fascination Oct '00, Celebration March '98
Sunnyvale, CA
4,051 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Going through the canal was fabulous, I thought there was much more to see than the Panama canal and quite a different experience because there are no locks.

It took around 12 hours, when we went to bed around midnight we had stopped and were waiting with several other ships for the journey to begin. I think we entered the canal in the early hours, we got up around 7 and had just gone under the big bridge. We had an aft balcony so we had breakfast out there with a great view. The cultivated land and towns are all on one side for most of the way, the other side is just empty dessert.

We were in Concierge class and had an invite to the helipad around 10am, while we were up there we came into a big lake with a large town/city right up to the shore. Unfortunately there was no commentary which we had been expecting (someone told us that they has made an announcement early on that this was for security reasons). It would have been nice to know exactly what we were seeing, if we do it again I think I'd get a good detailed map beforehand to take.

We could see the ships ahead and behind us in the convoy, and sometimes on the narrow parts there were small local fishing boats right by us (it looked a bit dangerous for them but I guess they are used to it). At one point there was a little car ferry that timed its trip across between us and the ship behind us.

It was a really interesting 'sea' day and something we'd love to do again,

Julie

Sorry to hear there was no commentary. We did the reverse in April and they had both a commentary and a handout map to log times and notes.

If I recall it was MickeyLive. He was very active and entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
To E-Mail Me : Click On This Link

Celebrity Edge - TranAtlantic 11/1/2019
Celebrity Edge - Amalfi Coast & Greek Islands 10/21/2019 B2B
Celebrity Silhouette - Boston, Broadway & Bermuda 11/3/2018
Celebrity Millennium - Japan Explorer Cruise 9/30/2018 B2B2B
Celebrity Millennium - Bering Sea & Japan Cruise 9/14/2018 B2B2B
Celebrity Millennium - Talkeetna Treasures Cruise Tour 9/4/2018 B2B2B
Celebrity Constellation - Italian Renaissance Cruise 7/21/2018

Celebrity Infinity - Chile & Argentina 12/8/2017 B2B