Ravenna Italy Excursions?

kuddles14

We will be doing a Med. cruise in Sept. on Vision of the Seas. We are currently looking at an excursion through Royal that takes you to an outlet.

Since this is a very port intensive cruise, we thought this might be a little relaxing after all the other excursions. Has anyone had an experience with this excursion or any other suggestions for Ravenna?

Thank you

An outlet, as in for shopping? I'd certainly recommend against that.

Ravenna is city that's known for its stunning Byzantine mosaics -- the best outside of Istanbul. Ships dock a distance from the city but most run a shuttle into town. Once there you can walk around and see many of the churches and other locations on your own. To get an idea of what you'll see, look here: https://www.aswesawit.com/ravenna-mosaics/

We took the RCCL bus to town and visited the mosiacs and it was a relaxing day. I don't recall crowds, lines, or expensive tickets. So you can visit as many or as few of the mosiacs as you want. I agree that is nice to plan for a relaxing day and not big excursions at each stop. Visiting the mosaics was not a big effort, very low key. Note there was very little around the ship's dock, however. You need to take the shuttle to town center even just to stroll through the shops and cafes.

I would also recommend visiting Ravenna. It's a nice little town and the mosaics are stunning. However, if you really only want a relaxing day there is a lovely long sandy beach (Marina Romea) with restaurants and facilities adjacent to where the ship docks - 5 minutes walk, you will see it from the top deck of the ship.

We took the RCCL bus to town and visited the mosiacs and it was a relaxing day. I don't recall crowds, lines, or expensive tickets. So you can visit as many or as few of the mosiacs as you want. I agree that is nice to plan for a relaxing day and not big excursions at each stop. Visiting the mosaics was not a big effort, very low key. Note there was very little around the ship's dock, however. You need to take the shuttle to town center even just to stroll through the shops and cafes.

Thank you for your help. It is nice to know that there is a shuttle provided by Royal. We are doing a 12 day, so obviously very port intensive and since this is our first time there would like to see as much as we can of the Med. However, with long days in many ports, I was hoping to have a relaxing one at a couple of ports. Looks like this will be one. Thank you very much for your help.

I would also recommend visiting Ravenna. It's a nice little town and the mosaics are stunning. However, if you really only want a relaxing day there is a lovely long sandy beach (Marina Romea) with restaurants and facilities adjacent to where the ship docks - 5 minutes walk, you will see it from the top deck of the ship.

Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe we will go into Ravenna for a bit and then if time permits, stroll Marina Romea. Looking to do 1 or 2 ports on our own and at our own pace since we will be having long days and tours at other ports. Looks like Ravenna and Venice will be the ports for this. Once again, thank you.