The Pearl or the Ruby Princess to Alaska???

Grammycruiser07

I'm planning a cruise to Alaska (never been). We aren’t able to do a land tour this time, just the cruise out of Seattle. My husband is in the military so we are interested in any military perks. I would love to hear some pros and cons between these two ships. Also any other tips anyone wants to throw my way 😊——First time posting—-Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We usually make our decisions based on the itinerary.

If the itineraries are the same then I would try to read reviews about each ship to see what people rate favorably and less favorably.

There is a member review section on Cruise Critic that you will see towards the top of the home page.

Keith

Welcome to cruise critic!

As Coral said, please post the itineraries since port time and glacier viewing are two important considerations. I will add that on Princess active, retired or disabled military receive up to a $250 on board credit on every cruise to spend as they desire. See https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/. Princess also allows travel agents to discount cruises (we usually receive a 10%+ discount over published fares) - they just can't advertise the discounted prices so you have to contact them.

Thank you. Both ships go to the same ports: Juneau, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria

I would also focus on times in port. For example, some people have odd times in Juneau (best port for me) and are there from 2-10 which really screws up times for excursions. I did a cruise once with this time and it was awful scheduling excursions. I would rather have a long day in Juneau compared to Ketchikan. My preference obviously. Also, Princess has a huge amount of enrichment programs, NCL not as much.

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/onboard-experience/

Also, click on "Meet Real Alaskans" for additional info.

I'm planning a cruise to Alaska (never been). We aren’t able to do a land tour this time, just the cruise out of Seattle. My husband is in the military so we are interested in any military perks. I would love to hear some pros and cons between these two ships. Also any other tips anyone wants to throw my way 😊——First time posting—-Thanks

Hi and welcome! are you planning on cruising this season? Alaska cruise season begins now in April and runs through end of September. each month has its own perks and you will learn a lot reading the boards on Alaska!! my personal opinion is I would not cruise during April, too soon in the season. You will see the most wild life in summer months and that is the highest prices generally as well.

agree to check out reviews for each ship, also read up on the boards for Princess and NCL, and check out the cruise lines own websites for deck plans, cabin pics and more!

Alaska tour operators book up very quickly also!

good luck!!

Red:)

Hubby is military? Than I imagine dressing up occasionally wouldn't bother him nor having a set chow time for dinner?

In that case, I'd highly recommend Princess over the NCL Pearl. If you can see my signature, I'm going on an Alaskan cruise this summer with Norwegian. And I still HIGHLY recommend Princess overall for that itinerary over the Pearl once the dressing up and set dining time issue is addressed.

Reasons include better food, Park Ranger to narrate during Glacier Bay, an overall feeling more in keeping with the serenity and majesty of Alaska, etc.

The park rangers board every ship that goes into Glacier Bay. But I also would vote for Princess over Norwegian. They have a very Alaska-focused cruise with speakers, sled dog puppies onboard, an Alaska musician singing Alaska songs, Libby Riddles (1st women to win Idiitarod), Deadliest Catch captains, Native American speaker, etc. Plus the food is better.

Thank you all so much. I’ve decided on Princess, and I can’t wait!!!

Don't worry about dressing up. Alaska cruises seem to be "casual". There are other places to eat if you don't want to dress up but honestly, most really don't dress up in Alaska on most lines.

Open up your choices a little broader. Ruby Princess does sail out of Seattle, but so does Emerald Princess. Similar ships, but different itineraries. The "Saturday ship" visits Glacier Bay NP on what I see as a slightly more relaxing itinerary with a higher price, the "Sunday ship" visits Tracy Arm Fjord at a lower price albeit with a bit more slow-FAST-slow-FAST itinerary (in my opinion).

Open up your choices a little broader. Ruby Princess does sail out of Seattle, but so does Emerald Princess. Similar ships, but different itineraries. The "Saturday ship" visits Glacier Bay NP on what I see as a slightly more relaxing itinerary with a higher price, the "Sunday ship" visits Tracy Arm Fjord at a lower price albeit with a bit more slow-FAST-slow-FAST itinerary (in my opinion).

The difference in price is attributed in great part to a difference in demand. If you want to be guaranteed of seeing a glacier (actually multiple spectacular glaciers), take an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. I've never heard of a ship missing Glacier Bay whereas most seasons there are reports of ice blocking Tracy Arm Fjord. One year someone posted on cruise critic that they were on the first ship that made it up Tracy Arm Fjord and that was in late June/early July!

The difference in price is attributed in great part to a difference in demand. If you want to be guaranteed of seeing a glacier (actually multiple spectacular glaciers), take an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. I've never heard of a ship missing Glacier Bay whereas most seasons there are reports of ice blocking Tracy Arm Fjord. One year someone posted on cruise critic that they were on the first ship that made it up Tracy Arm Fjord and that was in late June/early July!

I'm not here to argue the reasons for the fare difference. GBNP probably has much higher permit fees than TAF. But the fact remains that ships headed for TAF deviate to Endicott Arm if TAF is blocked, so there's still a "glacier viewing stop" regardless. My point was merely to broaden the OP's mind about other options out of Seattle: four ships come and go from Pier 91 every weekend during cruise season, others come and go from Pier 91 on other days of the week, and NCL keeps Pier 66 busy as well.